Odd LAN issue

We run Windows Server 2008 at work with 5 workstations on an AD domain. We run things like a Filemaker Pro database and some embroidery design software that runs on SQL server.

The odd issue is that every night at midnight, the Filemaker Pro connection is interrupted and I have to restart it and so is the SQL based embroider database.

This has seemingly only started happening in the last couple of months and we have been running this system for years.

What could possibly be causing a time-based interruption in database connections like that?

Nic driver, some form of power saving, possible network congestion from backup.

Check your event logs. See if there is an event around the time of drop.

System and application events.

1 hour ago, sc302 said:

Nic driver, some form of power saving, possible network congestion from backup.

Check your event logs. See if there is an event around the time of drop.

System and application events.

I went to device manager for the NIC on the server and disabled the option to allow power management to turn it off. Could that really be it? We'll see tomorrow I guess!

2 minutes ago, Riva said:

It could be your SQL backup software locking it up during the backup operation.

Getting a disconnect issue with Filemaker too though...

So you are having to restart services to get it back up and running? Doesn't sound like a LAN issue, sounds like a process hanging or crashing. Have you run a chkdsk /f on that data volume and restarted the OS?

So what services are you restarting?  The sql service.. Yeah not sounding like a network issue.

When the service goes down can you ping the servers IP?

I don't have to restart any services. I'll see a message on my workstations that it lost connection to Filemaker sever and the sql server. I just close the programs on the workstations (Filemaker Pro and Wilcom Design Workflow) and reopen them and it is fine.

It's not a major issue, just annoying every morning having to do that. Not sure why it seems to be a time related thing that seems to happen at midnight every night.

So check the power options on the NICs of the workstatons, make sure Energy Efficient Ethernet isn't turned on. And obviously that the workstations aren't going to sleep/hibernate.

Wouldn't hurt to update the NIC driver on the workstations.

So all the workstations do this?  Are they wired or wireless?  What is your dhcp lease time?  Possible have a bit of a issue and not renewing their lease have to go to discover mode which could cause a blip in the network.  Comes down to how sensitive these applications are to slight little blip..

Sometimes network connectivity coming out of standby can be a problem - especially if wifi, etc.

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 3:49 PM, BudMan said:

So all the workstations do this?  Are they wired or wireless?  What is your dhcp lease time?  Possible have a bit of a issue and not renewing their lease have to go to discover mode which could cause a blip in the network.  Comes down to how sensitive these applications are to slight little blip..

Sometimes network connectivity coming out of standby can be a problem - especially if wifi, etc.

I feel like a complete moron. Just checked the problem PC's (Windows 10) and they are set to go to sleep after 4 hours...