New PS4 game updates, copying after downloading?

Is anyone else having this issue recently? Since a firmware update a release or 2 ago some updates download then proceed to say "copying.... (42%)" This takes an absolute age compared to downloading the file in question which already takes quite awhile on PSN's slow servers.

Never seen it before until recently, last few Overwatch updates have been affected.

This is the first I've heard of any issue and I've been in all of the beta versions for 5.00. Downloads and installs are maxing my connection and install without mentioning any "copy" process.

Is Overwatch the only game affected? How large is the update? Is there more than one update downloading or installing at the time? Are your games installed on internal or external HDD?

Yep I see this now as well. Now installs say "Copying" and it takes way longer than it used to on every game, and some games take an insane amount of time. Destiny 2 in particular, it took about 25 minutes for the most recent patch.

No rhyme or reason at all to why it is now doing this, but it is way way longer than it ever has been.

On 10/21/2017 at 4:55 AM, Andrew said:

This is the first I've heard of any issue and I've been in all of the beta versions for 5.00. Downloads and installs are maxing my connection and install without mentioning any "copy" process.

Is Overwatch the only game affected? How large is the update? Is there more than one update downloading or installing at the time? Are your games installed on internal or external HDD?

Overwatch is the only game I'm playing at the moment and have noticed updates for on PS4, don't think I've noticed any others getting patched in this time. It's on an external HDD, thought that may have been the issue but friend said he was getting the same message...

1 hour ago, DirtyLarry said:

Yep I see this now as well. Now installs say "Copying" and it takes way longer than it used to on every game, and some games take an insane amount of time. Destiny 2 in particular, it took about 25 minutes for the most recent patch.

Thought I was going crazy at first install times are bonkers now. Is Destiny on a external HDD?

Just now, Vandalsquad said:

Thought I was going crazy at first install times are bonkers now. Is Destiny on a external HDD?

Nope on the internal. Same exact thing is happening with my friend as well. Also internal. So it looks like it happens on both internal and external installs.

4 hours ago, DirtyLarry said:

Nope on the internal. Same exact thing is happening with my friend as well. Also internal. So it looks like it happens on both internal and external installs.

Sweet just wanted to narrow that don't wasn't sure if my mate could tell or not since I hooked up an external for him.

Only article I've found so far after some searching today since got another game doing it today didn't end up having time to play by the time this was done. Think people having the issue are having a hard time finding complaint threads or reporting about it or then it even coming up in google search results with the keywords "PS4 Copying Updates"

http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PS4-Support/Update-files-copying/td-p/25315001#thread-replies

Only one person seems to have spoken to support so far.. obviously grain of salt.

I have just spoken with their support. This is a new process and this is how it will be from now on.. they won’t tell the reason  but there is nothing we can do in order to stop it..

16 hours ago, Vandalsquad said:

Overwatch is the only game I'm playing at the moment and have noticed updates for on PS4, don't think I've noticed any others getting patched in this time. It's on an external HDD, thought that may have been the issue but friend said he was getting the same message...

Perhaps it is only games signed on the new SDK for 5.00? I've yet to play Destiny 2 and I have Overwatch on PC. The games that I updated were older and probably from the old patch method, which would maybe explain why I didn't have the issue.

9 hours ago, Andrew said:

Perhaps it is only games signed on the new SDK for 5.00? I've yet to play Destiny 2 and I have Overwatch on PC. The games that I updated were older and probably from the old patch method, which would maybe explain why I didn't have the issue.

Could be onto something here... Will have to watch for more updates to come and see how they apply. If anyone else notices this would be good to post in here with other games affected.

On 10/25/2017 at 4:46 AM, The Evil Overlord said:

I just noticed this, for Fri 13th and Star Trek Online, didn't think anything of it, as it didn't seem to affect the storage beyond the usual game overwrite.

perhaps the binaries are compressed, therefore need to be decompressed and copied to the game install folder? 

Dunno not a playstation guy, but seeing more of that with steam games. Wolfenstein 2 did it on my pc last night, even on 4 SSD RAID0 striped it took 20 mins.

6 hours ago, RadishTM said:

Happened with GT Sport and the 1.03 update, 183MB patch took just over 5 minutes to install. Very odd.

Not to go too off topic, but how is GT Sport? The always online and basically seeming as if I have to play against other players is really turning me off. I like the GT series, but have never been like a huge devotee to it. But I have enjoyed it.

On 28/10/2017 at 3:45 AM, DirtyLarry said:

Not to go too off topic, but how is GT Sport? The always online and basically seeming as if I have to play against other players is really turning me off. I like the GT series, but have never been like a huge devotee to it. But I have enjoyed it.

I'm enjoying it so far. Despite it not having a dedicated single-player campaign like in previous games, there are remnants of it with PD's twist on what they call a 'campaign' - circuit experience/licence tests etc... and they are quite enjoyable.

It has some classic GT elements such as the soothing music/sleek UI, the graphics are beautiful (especially the lighting in HDR on cars and tracks, racing on the Nürburgring at night is a sight to be behold) and the newer element being the online Sport mode, which is fun/tense but you require a lot more focus to be a better driver if you wish to be ranked with similar players and the feeling of having a professional yet nail-biting race with like-minded individuals is an experience in itself (even if don't win!). But there are custom open lobbies for casual online racing, if you want to have a bit of fun.

The main issue I have with the game is the lack of content, tracks are sparse and PD's own fantasy tracks seem to take focus over the real world locations. No La Sarthe, Silverstone, Spa - staple tracks for racing simulators but they are nowhere to be seen. The car selection is a lot better (170+ IIRC, though not as fully-featured as previous GT's) and total eye candy, with a decent selection covering tiers of racing/fantasy cars but road cars are a bit lacking. Car/track DLC is coming at some point but not holding my breath as it's PD we're talking about here.

I do recommend giving it a try though and the price will be dropping soon enough due to the online focus that moves away from the traditional GT.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 10/23/2017 at 1:14 AM, Vandalsquad said:

Sweet just wanted to narrow that don't wasn't sure if my mate could tell or not since I hooked up an external for him.

Only article I've found so far after some searching today since got another game doing it today didn't end up having time to play by the time this was done. Think people having the issue are having a hard time finding complaint threads or reporting about it or then it even coming up in google search results with the keywords "PS4 Copying Updates"

http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PS4-Support/Update-files-copying/td-p/25315001#thread-replies

Only one person seems to have spoken to support so far.. obviously grain of salt.

Ahh, yea much bs...

• 1 year later...

So this is still happening and Sony Interactive hasnt said anything about it. Takes 1 hr to download RDR2 but it takes 3 to copy. A 30 second 300mb update for WoT is now on its 2nd hour of copying. Ive rebuilt my database. Ive attempted to re download. This has been going on for years why hasnt anyone said anything

3 hours ago, Perry133 said:

So this is still happening and Sony Interactive hasnt said anything about it. Takes 1 hr to download RDR2 but it takes 3 to copy. A 30 second 300mb update for WoT is now on its 2nd hour of copying. Ive rebuilt my database. Ive attempted to re download. This has been going on for years why hasnt anyone said anything

Possibly because it doesn't seem to be a universal issue. At least, I can't say that I have seen the problem in Switzerland. RDR2 took a while to install for me but it was understandable given that it was over 90GB. I left it installing overnight so I can't be certain on the exact amount of time that it took.