Modem Help

Good morning can i have some feedback on a modem please.  i am upgrading my internet speed and need a new modem, i just ordered the Netgear CM 700 but now i am reading about the puma 6 that people are saying don't get any model with this chipset in it.  so that rules out the one i purchased that will arrive tomorrow and the other one i was looking at the sb6190.  can someone shed some light on this please, like have the service providers or other found a fix for the issues with this chip?  please help as i might order a different model with suggestions.

i was looking for at least 24 channels so if i ever went to 1gig speeds i would be set, but since i am only going with the 330 speed should i just go with the SB6183 or the netgear cm600 as they don't have the problem chip?

Thanks

Edited by LilSnoop40

The puma 6 problem has been ongoing.. There are whole books on the subject if you add up all the forum threads and websites with info on it..

You can check out http://www.badmodems.com/

Part of the problem comes down to what your ISP says they support and what they do not..  Sometimes you have to play along if you want to be able to blame them if issues arise.. If your using some modem that is not on their "supported" list and you complain - can pretty much promise you they are going to blame it on the modem..

What is the list of modems your ISP supports.. You prob going to have to pick from that list..

https://www.approvedmodems.com/rcn.html

Says the cm600 is your best choice... But not going to move to gig and keep that modem..

Is the SB8200 approved for RCN.. If so prob go with that one!  Make sure you check with the ISP

Bud, thanks for the information as always!  i narrowed it down between the MB8600 and the SB8200. seems like they are both pretty solid from my reading and the MB8600 is a little less.  some of the forums showed the internal parts of each and said for the extra $45 to just go with the MB8600.  RCN just told me to get something with at least 24 channels.  thoughts on the MB 8600 Bud?  i will be refusing the package tomorrow of the netgear cm700 when it arrives.  

Thanks

Look fine to me.. Wish it was on my approved list.. the only 3.1 approve for wow is CM8200A, and its not available yet retail..

Bud, thanks for the feedback.  well when that MB6800 comes today i will see what they say i some how missed that part about the docsis 3.1.  in the  mean time i ordered the TP-Link TC7650, the reviews on that seem pretty solid.  was trying to avoid all modems that were or are infected by the puma 6/7 problem.

Thanks

Isn't that MB8600 a 3.1 and and support 3.0 (32x8)?

So it really should work - but some of these companies get sticky about approved list or not, etc.  I asked about using a different modem that was not on their "approved" list for wow and got told no in so many words.  Now that its up and running I might try self registering something better..

But have to hold off a bit on any amazon orders - wife gives me grief when she sees the bill :) heheh

4 minutes ago, BudMan said:

But have to hold off a bit on any amazon orders - wife gives me grief when she sees the bill :) heheh

She's mad at you? I'd blame her... Girls buy a lot of stuff...

hehe - not so much mad maybe, but you get that look, wtf you buy now.. Don't you have enough computer ###### ;)

Its better to stretch out the purchases a bit to avoid the look.. I have a 200$ switch my finger is itchy to pull the trigger on... Best not to have multiple hundred dollar purchases hit the bill all in the same month.. She really gets that look then ;)  I had to get a modem, and usg 3p to handle the new inet speed..  And the new pfsense box looking at sg-4860 is not cheap.. She prob going to have a cow.. Wait til after she gets her new car next month for that.. So then she won't have anything to be able to bitch about ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1