Hi, I have a 3 year old laptop that has never really had any problems before. It has an Intel Celeron N2840 CPU (More CPU Information) and recently I noticed it to be running very slowly and upon inspection I found out that the CPU is running at a maximum of 500 MHz ( .5 GHz ) no matter if it is idle or under pressure from games or other applications. The top speed estimated by Intel themselves is 2.16 GHz and without things such as a power or heat problem the CPU can reach a maximum speed of 2.58 GHz. Due to this, it seems that my CPU is causing my Memory to be used up more as my memory usage has also jumped to upwards of 55%

I have already tried to factory reset my laptop which also did not fix the issue, and I suspected that it may be because of the battery going bad a while ago. I took out the battery and ran the laptop directly from my Adapter and the problem persisted. I have also tried to set the minimum and maximum processor utilization to 100% in my power settings but upon checking they were already set as so.

There was a time where it finally started to run at a speed of 2.35 GHz and my memory usage was low after this problem but the next day the same issues were back.

If you have any tips even if they are small please reply, anything helps. 

Look in BIOS. There has to be something that is limiting it.

If not that, can you test this in Linux? Grab a live-CD, and try running it. If you see low speeds, then you know it ain't Windows.

Hello,

I have seen CPUs downclock to their lowest frequency when the battery is bad (or missing) on a laptop.  Install a working, replacement battery and it should go back to normal speed.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Hello,

The post is from yesterday (Monday, October 30, 2017).  Celeron was originally Intel's brand name for a line of processors that existed below the Pentium brand that offered less performance and were sold into the "value-oriented" end of the market.  Today, they are somewhat still targeted at that, but more as a low power "system on chip microarchitecture" CPUs for all sorts of uses such as smartphones, tablets, laptops, and embedded systems.  There are even server variants for operations where having lots of low-power cores is more effective than fewer, higher-power cores.  I have a couple of Celeron-based systems in my test lab at work (N3150, J3455).  They are certainly not as fast as the Xeon-based systems (E5-2620v4, E5-2670, E3-1240v3, etc.), but at the same time, they are a lot quieter, and if I'm just sitting at a system observing behavior and taking notes, writing a report, etc., there's little need for anything faster.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

33 minutes ago, T3X4S said:

When I saw that headline - I thought "some newb just revitalized a thread from 2006"

Damn you Goretsky !  YOu know better ! - 

WTF is a Celeron ? :|

1 hour ago, goretsky said:

Hello,

The post is from yesterday (Monday, October 30, 2017).  Celeron was originally Intel's brand name for a line of processors that existed below the Pentium brand that offered less performance and were sold into the "value-oriented" end of the market.  Today, they are somewhat still targeted at that, but more as a low power "system on chip microarchitecture" CPUs for all sorts of uses such as smartphones, tablets, laptops, and embedded systems.  There are even server variants for operations where having lots of low-power cores is more effective than fewer, higher-power cores.  I have a couple of Celeron-based systems in my test lab at work (N3150, J3455).  They are certainly not as fast as the Xeon-based systems (E5-2620v4, E5-2670, E3-1240v3, etc.), but at the same time, they are a lot quieter, and if I'm just sitting at a system observing behavior and taking notes, writing a report, etc., there's little need for anything faster.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Goretsky.... I was kidding.

Just an FYI (Im a nerd) - I know things..."Its what I do, I drink and I know things"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1