Tiger Woods announces return to golf at 2017 Hero World Challenge in November

Tiger Woods announced on Monday that he will officially make his return to professional golf in late November at his own charity's event, the 2017 Hero World Challenge.

Woods, who has not played competitive golf in nine months and was just recently given the all-clear by his doctor to play, is a five-time winner of the event and will compete along with 17 of his peers from Nov. 30 to Dec. 3 in Albany, Bahamas. His announcement came, hilariously, from a committee of one.

"I am excited to return to competitive golf at the Hero World Challenge," Woods said in an announcement. "Albany is the perfect setting and it will be great to join this outstanding field. I want to thank Pawan Munjal and Hero MotoCorp for their continued support of this tournament and my foundation. I would also like to thank the fans for their unwavering support during my injury."

Joining Woods in the loaded field are Dustin Johnson, Jordan Spieth, Hideki Matsuyama, Justin Thomas, Jason Day, Rickie Fowler, Brooks Koepka, Matt Kuchar, Justin Rose, Alex Noren, Marc Leishman, Tommy Fleetwood, Francesco Molinari, Patrick Reed, Charley Hoffman, Kevin Kisner and Daniel Berger.

Woods withdrew from the Desert Dubai Classic after one round at the beginning of 2017. He shot a 77 in the first round, and he has not played a round on either the European Tour or PGA Tour since. He underwent his fourth back procedure in April, a fusion surgery that he said alleviated him of a lot of pain in his body. 

Read the rest here, https://www.cbssports.com/golf/news/tiger-woods-announces-return-to-golf-at-2017-hero-world-challenge-in-november/

This is great for golf, Tiger sure does move the needle. I hope he can finish this tournament. One of, if not the greatest ever, to play the game.

• Like 1

nice!

i'd love to see him get back to his earlier days of winning every tournament. His body is not the same as it was 15yrs ago, though. If he can stay healthy through a single season, it'd be a miracle.

Glad to see he's still trying to make a comeback and hopefully the latest surgery is a success.  I was bummed when he pulled out of 2017 and I wasn't able to see him at Erin Hills.

He's definitely the reason I became interested in playing golf when I was younger.

4 minutes ago, Jason S. said:

nice!

i'd love to see him get back to his earlier days of winning every tournament. His body is not the same as it was 15yrs ago, though. If he can stay healthy through a single season, it'd be a miracle.

I think many of us would love to see that, being realistic I just hope he can finish a tournament and do so with zero to little pain.

4 minutes ago, Astra.Xtreme said:

Glad to see he's still trying to make a comeback and hopefully the latest surgery is a success.  I was bummed when he pulled out of 2017 and I wasn't able to see him at Erin Hills.

He's definitely the reason I became interested in playing golf when I was younger.

Same here, I loved watching every Sunday with my dad. If Tiger was wearing red, you knew he was going to put on a show. He made golf "cool" for many kids growing up and helped give inspiration to many minorities.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

Same here, I loved watching every Sunday with my dad. If Tiger was wearing red, you knew he was going to put on a show. He made golf "cool" for many kids growing up and helped give inspiration to many minorities.

Tiger always wears red on Sunday when he's in a tournament. No matter what.

• 4 weeks later...

Tiger is looking like the old big cat! He has looked impressive these two rounds, he is swinging the club freely and doesn't seem to be wincing after every shot. I hope he can go through the weekend and recover for the next tournament.

• Like 1