Wireless issues at work

At my business, we use wireless for our phones and also for an iPad and credit card reader. However, none of the devices seem to be able to stay connected to the network for very long.

We run a domain on Windows Server 2008 and are using the Spectrum-supplied Arris cable modem for the wifi. My network is set for static IP's in the 192.168.10.x range. The server is 192.168.10.2 and the arris cable modem is configured as 192.168.10.1. I have that set as the gateway on the server's lan settings.

The Arris modem has no other altered settings other than the ip address, so I assume it is running dhcp.

When I try to connect a couple of phones, it appears to connect but I have no internet. I look and see no default gateway or sometimes the wrong gateway. I have to put them in airplane mode and then out and then they work for a while. It's very irritating on the iPad when I am trying to check out a customer and I can't reliably connect to my wifi.

How would I got about troubleshooting this and fixing it? Does the cable modem need to be set up with static address since the server runs static address?

1 minute ago, sc302 said:

Could be multiple dhcp servers (modem and windows server), could be wrong dns.  

Since my server is set up for static ip's, it wouldn't be running dhcp right?

What does that have to do with running the dhcp service?

It has a similar correlation to the familial relationship between dark helmet and lone star.

Dh- I am your fathers brothers nephews cousins former roommate.

Ls- what does that make us?

Dh- absolutely nothing.

So which which is running dhcp and which is supporting dns?  Your 2k8 box or the wifi router?

What it should be is the 2k8 box.. All the wifi router should be is the gateway..  Make sue its dhcp server didn't get turned on. 

You need to understand what is what in the setup other than just stating you have these 2 things.

BTW.. 2k8 and 2k8r2 end of life is here.. Mainstream supported end back 2015.. While you have some extended support until 2020... Its time to start planning moving on.. I would say need to put on the books the update to current on the books for your anything running 2k8..

1 hour ago, BudMan said:

So which which is running dhcp and which is supporting dns?  Your 2k8 box or the wifi router?

What it should be is the 2k8 box.. All the wifi router should be is the gateway..  Make sue its dhcp server didn't get turned on. 

You need to understand what is what in the setup other than just stating you have these 2 things.

BTW.. 2k8 and 2k8r2 end of life is here.. Mainstream supported end back 2015.. While you have some extended support until 2020... Its time to start planning moving on.. I would say need to put on the books the update to current on the books for your anything running 2k8..

Thanks @BudMan, I do believe that dhcp is enabled on the modem. I'll disable it and see what happens.

Yeah I know the OS will need to be updated. Problem is that for whatever reason, I installed 32-bit on it. If I upgrade to a new OS I'm assuming it will be 64-bit and I will have to clean install?

There is not upgrade path.. But just fire up a new DC into your domain, 64 bit running 2012r2 for example or even more current 2016 and then remove your old 2k8 dc..

@BudMan DHCP was indeed enabled on the modem. I turned it off. I forgot the network on all wireless devices and connected again. However, none of them got ip addresses. So, I set them up as static and gave them appropriate addresses and pointed to the 192.168.10.1 as the gateway. That seemed to work, however, none of them show the wifi icon at the top of the screen now.

On a side note, they all show 2 ipv6 addresses and I don't even use ipv6. Could that be causing the problem?

With my previous company, we had Spectrum internet and all wireless devices connected just fine without the need to manually configure them. That leads me to believe maybe something is mis-configured on my server?

8 minutes ago, sc302 said:

If you would like, we can do a team viewer session at around 3pm est and get you straightened out. I have a pretty good idea where your issue lies.

That would be awesome!

So did you get this fixed?  Issue?

Happy to TV in as well.  As to your clients getting ipv6.. Do you mean on their actual interface.. Or via some isatap, teredo or 6to4 interface.. MS really really likes to get IPv6 anyway it can by tunnel out your network, etc. To be honest this security problem.. if you want to use ipv6 then you should set it up and control it.  Kind of hard to say filtering your internet traffic through your proxy if your clients are just tunnel out via teredo to get to whatever websites they want, etc.

As to general connectivity issues - sure ipv6 could be a factor in your problems.. Client thinks it has a workable ipv6 when its really not could lead to delays and access issues, etc.

My take on ipv6 is this - if you want to use it, then take the time to correctly set it up.  I have it running on a few segments and machines in my home network.  But many devices its disabled on, or not enabled on that segment..  Once you figure out whatever your issue is related to wifi we can dive into your ipv6 be it you want to set it up or disable it or control it at min, etc.

Yep. The router was giving out ips. The server was configured to hand out ips as well. There was no gateway configured on the dhcp scope on the server.

All better now.

• Like 2

On 02/11/2017 at 9:50 PM, patseguin said:

Since my server is set up for static ip's, it wouldn't be running dhcp right?

no, static IP is just for itself,

DHCP service serves DG, subnet and IP scope to any domain clients.

look in services.msc for DHCP Server service, there is also DHCP client service (this will be stopped)