Would you rather a phone have a Removable Battery or be Water Resistance?

Removable Battery Poll  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather a phone have a Removable Battery or be Water Resistance?

• Removable Battery
    • Water Resistance
    • I don't Care

Would you rather a phone have a Removable Battery or be Water Resistance?

Recently got a refurbished S7 72 days ago. I don't know if it has a bad battery, something is sucking my battery or it has a bad calibration. If the phone had a removable battery I would have bought a new battery and swapped it in by now to see, but it doesn't.

Today I woke up and took it off the charger at 100% at 7:30 am and it's now 10:45 am. So it's been off the charger for about 3 hours and 15 mins. I've used it a total of about 5 mins. The battery is currently at 86% .. so goes down about 4.2% per hour.

11 minutes ago, Buttus said:

why not both?   my s5 had both, and i had it dunked a few times and nothing happened.  just have to make sure the back is on correctly.

Did not include that because at the moment most manufactures touts the fact they have a non-removable battery and water resistance. So I wanted to see which of the two people cared more for.

I prefer to have a phone with a removable battery, SD card slot, wireless charging, and a headphone jack with a high end DAC. Instead one usually gets gimmicks like Samsung Edge, squeezable sides, and now notches in the damn display.

Edited by oldtimefighter
  • Like 2

I voted for water resistant, I have never run out of battery during the day. With the leap in technology, outlets are found pretty much everywhere and if I had an emergency where I did run out of juice, I have a portable battery pack that I keep with me, but havent had to use it. I charge my phone every morning while I shower and don't have to plug it back in until the next day. At this point, i dont see a reason for a removable battery for my usage.

4 hours ago, warwagon said:

So it's been off the charger for about 3 hours and 15 mins. I've used it a total of about 5 mins. The battery is currently at 86% .. so goes down about 4.2% per hour.

That sounds like a wakelock issue, something is keeping your phone active. You should not be losing any percentage while the screen is off and just sitting there.

swappable battery for me, i dont need a phone to be water resistant, i dont use it on the toilet (like eeew filty dawgs) or drop it in puddles, toilets or take a wee on it :) aint lost a single phone since mobiles appeared (sony analogue mobile owner once upona time) to water damage personally.

Removable battery, I'm not an idiot who drops their phone or better yet drops it in water. I would ratrher have it more serviceable.

1 minute ago, HoochieMamma said:

I'm not an idiot who drops their phone or better yet drops it in water.

Nor am I, I haven't actually ever dropped my phone in water. However, accidents do happen and for someone who is the outdoors type, it would be nice knowing if it were raining you had nothing to really worry about using your phone.

Water resistance by far. I have toddlers who pick things up when your not looking. I have never truly been a situation where I didn't have a car charger or phone charger with me. With how fast phones charge I don't see the point of the extra battery. If it came down to it I could see doing water resistance and buying one of those battery packs that charge your phone.

19 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

Nor am I, I haven't actually ever dropped my phone in water. However, accidents do happen and for someone who is the outdoors type, it would be nice knowing if it were raining you had nothing to really worry about using your phone.

Not only outdoor type...

I was in bar, in the caribbean with my lg g3, got a beer, condensation out of the beer mugs was enough to get into the 3.5 port when I set it at the table. Then many other times happened with glass + ice... and yes i'm an idiot for putting my phone on a table with other liquids . :rofl:

That said, the S5 did have water resistance AND removable battery so.

I Will say this on removable batteries, IF you aren't in the "first world", you get cheap  chinese knock offs for batteries that either ruin your phone or the battery dies in 2-3 months. so there's another take on that! edit: so I don't care vote

5 hours ago, Buttus said:

why not both?   my s5 had both, and i had it dunked a few times and nothing happened.  just have to make sure the back is on correctly.

Unless the little flap breaks off, lol, which is want happened to mine...  I ended up with S8 after that.  I don't like not having a removable battery, but the battery life is pretty exceptional compared to my S5, but I typically have had to replace batteries after 1.5 years or so.  That was the first phone I have drowned, though.

46 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

I voted for water resistant, I have never run out of battery during the day. With the leap in technology, outlets are found pretty much everywhere and if I had an emergency where I did run out of juice, I have a portable battery pack that I keep with me, but havent had to use it. I charge my phone every morning while I shower and don't have to plug it back in until the next day. At this point, i dont see a reason for a removable battery for my usage.

That sounds like a wakelock issue, something is keeping your phone active. You should not be losing any percentage while the screen is off and just sitting there.

Just got Wakelock detector lite on my phone and allowed it permission via ADB. This should give me some truly useful information :D

Just because the device isn't listed as having a removable battery doesn't mean it can't be swapped out.

https://www.etradesupply.com/blog/how-to-replace-the-galaxy-s7-s7-edge-battery/

Water resistance for me, not done it since I got my new phone but I used to strap my old Nexus 5x to my bike as part cycle computer and I never trusted a case to keep water out.

Removable battery as it's easier to change and unless your pretty careless it's not likely water resistance would be needed all that much. Phones without a user removable battery are simply not worth buying unless you don't plan on keeping your phone more than a couple of years or so.

about the only time the water resistance would be better if you swap your phone out with a different one about once every year or two in which case the replaceable battery would not likely be needed as much.

On 11/8/2017 at 2:59 PM, Circaflex said:

htem

Between 3 applications, wakelock detector, Betterbattery stats and Advanced Permission manager, I may have tracked down what was causing the battery drain.

I noticed that the Bluetooth was awake a lot while the phone should have been sleeping. After searching online someone recommended Advanced permission manager. I used it to find every app that wanted Bluetooth. A lot of the apps in the list I had already disabled, others weren’t actively running. While I was going through the list I found one called ANT +.

I looked it up online and others were having some massive battery drain. One person on a Reddit forum said.

“I noticed on my phone that the battery drain just felt too damn high compared to my S5. So I started mucking about and disabling things then testing for an hour or two. These two specific services/apps ( disable ANT Radio service and ANT+ Plugin service) since being disabled 1 hour ago - 99% total battery. I would have been a solid 93-95% by now otherwise.”

After disabling it I haven’t noticed any side effects.

I charged my battery to 100% then took it off the charger. 40 mins later it was still at 100%, After 1 hour it was at 99%. It was in deep sleep for 50 mins.

So I was just on a 20 min Facebook Video call and my phone dropped 11% .. does that sound normal?