Bootable Linux CD with quick Samba HDD access?

ThaCrip    240

I am trying to find a bootable Linux CD that allows quick/easy access, through samba, to the computer hard drives it's booted on and then access it from a Windows 10 PC with read/write access (so basically i am using the Windows 10 PC to access the Linux share which the bootable Linux CD is loaded up on). but can't seem to find anything that works with Windows 10 because they all seem to be SMB1 protocol which apparently Windows 10 don't like given the attached picture.

I tested Trinity Rescue Kit ( trinityhome.org ) and i think it would work (hopefully i get read and write access) except Windows 10 (16299.xx) does not like SMB1 protocol.

but i figure with all of the experts around here someone probably has a quick fix. any suggestions?

TrinityResureSMBError.thumb.jpg.3e2c47060a12d8eb2a3a894dacf04ec4.jpg

Unobscured Vision    2,163

Should be okay. You'll probably need the winbind libpam-winbind packages too, but chances are they're already there.

Oh, and make sure the drive(s) in question are shared on the network in Windows, and permissions are adjusted properly. Windows 10, by default, is janky as hell regarding access.

ThaCrip    240

I boot the Linux CD on a old PC i got and with some brief navigating through some text menus (to turn on the Samba stuff) it shares the hard drive on the PC with that linux boot CD but i simply cannot access it from my main Windows 10 PC and gives me that error screen.

on the Windows 10 PC i simply type... "\\192.168.1.100\" (without the "), as that's the address the Linux Boot CD gives me when i turn on the unsecured Samba access, then i press enter and it comes up with that error screen in the picture. in the past i generally used that "\\" command to access shared stuff between Windows computers when i did it from time to time.

p.s. keep in mind i know very little about Linux in general.

No worries. Linux Mint + Samba gave me fits trying to access the drives from another Windows machine too. Not the first reports of stuff going wonky (AGAIN) on 'nix lately. I've dumped it and reinstalled Windows 10 yet again. Not the only issue I'm having with 'nix stuff lately, either.

Seriously, I want to be the 'nix guy. I try to be the 'nix guy. Every time I think it's there, #### like this keeps happening that sets the clock back ten years ....

That's why widespread adoption can't happen yet. Not with this crap.

Mindovermaster    935
29 minutes ago, Unobscured Vision said:

Seriously, I want to be the 'nix guy. I try to be the 'nix guy. Every time I think it's there, #### like this keeps happening that sets the clock back ten years ....

Thought you were... :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

ThaCrip    240

Any suggestions?

I wonder if there is a way to get a up to date version of Samba on a basic Linux boot CD because apparently CloneZilla (which is Linux based) supports modern Samba connections as it asks you which version you want to use when connecting to my Windows 10 PC (there was three choices... v1 or v2 or v3.1 (or something similar), i used the v3 option) as i used that recently to backup a hard drive to a image file a old computer i have and saved the image through the router using a Samba connection to my main computer which runs Windows 10. but all i want to be able to do is have my Windows 10 PC access a Linux samba share(basically quick access to another PC's hard drive with read/write access) from a bootable disc as this will keep things nice and simple for me to transfer files to a older PC i have through network connection.

12 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

Thought you were... :rolleyes:

There are people around here way, WAY better than me. I'm a noob/hack/stooge compared to them. Seriously. :laugh::rofl:

Mindovermaster    935
55 minutes ago, Unobscured Vision said:

There are people around here way, WAY better than me. I'm a noob/hack/stooge compared to them. Seriously. :laugh::rofl:

Wish Karl was here.... :(