PSU Question

I'm building my Dad a computer with parts I had here. The mobo is an Asus X58 chipset with 2x 8pin CPU power connectors. The PSU he got plus everyone I am looking at only have 1 8 pin connector. Will the system run with only one of the 8 pin CPU power connectors used because it is a more modern PSU or something?

Strange, the only x58 boards I remember with dual 8-pin were overclocking/enthusiast boards or the classified series. What is the model? If I remember correctly, you only needed to use both 8-pins if you were doing extreme overclocking, otherwise you just use one and be done with it. Check your mobo manual and see which 8-pin is required for normal operation.

It's an Asus Rampage III Black Edition with a core i7 extreme Gulftown. I don't plan on overclocking for him so I'm hoping I can just use 1 of the 8 pins connectors!

33 minutes ago, Jim K said:

I hate to doubt you ... but are you sure the motherboard has 2x 8-pin connectors?  What is the ASUS model number?

Yep see above. ?

You should be good using 1 of those, just for future reference you can find those old manuals on Asus's website still https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/RAMPAGE_III_BLACK_EDITION/HelpDesk_Manual/

Originally those boards came with plastic covers and on the 2nd of the 8-pin connectors, two of the pins were blocked. I believe you can use the 8-pin and a 4-pin on the second plug, but it isn't necessary.

2 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

You should be good using 1 of those, just for future reference you can find those old manuals on Asus's website still https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/RAMPAGE_III_BLACK_EDITION/HelpDesk_Manual/

Originally those boards came with plastic covers and on the 2nd of the 8-pin connectors, two of the pins were blocked. I believe you can use the 8-pin and a 4-pin on the second plug, but it isn't necessary.

I actually still have the manual. It just says to connect the 8 pin but it didn't clarify one or both. I think you may be right about the plastic cover on the 2nd one. It's been 8 years since I built that rig.

Just now, patseguin said:

I actually still have the manual. It just says to connect the 8 pin but it didn't clarify one or both. I think you may be right about the plastic cover on the 2nd one. It's been 8 years since I built that rig.

Yea, they used to block some of them off because most people didn't have PSU's with dual 8-pins, most just had an 8-pin and a 4-pin. My understanding is you only need the second 8-pin installed if you overclock to extreme amounts or use LN2. In your dad's case, I think he will be fine with the single 8-pin installed.

2 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

Yea, they used to block some of them off because most people didn't have PSU's with dual 8-pins, most just had an 8-pin and a 4-pin. My understanding is you only need the second 8-pin installed if you overclock to extreme amounts or use LN2. In your dad's case, I think he will be fine with the single 8-pin installed.

Great, appreciate the quick response man. I built him a decent system so he can do VR. I7 extreme, corsair h6 water cooled, 24GB ram, SSD, and 1070. He got only a500W PSU so ivreally hope that cuts it.