Advice for a new AC router

jamester64    12

I had been using a NETGEAR  AC1750 router for the last 4 yrs and a Lynksys wrt54G before that without problems until it died the other day.

I'm looking for suggestions for a good router with a $200 budget that would be future proof for the next 3-4 yrs

I have an eye on a TP-Link AC5400  but have no experience with TP-Link

I also have about a dozen wireless devices and a few wired that would connect, only a few being used at a time .

TIA

RottGutt    68

I love my Synology RT2600ac. It is easily the best router I have ever owned, and like most everyone here, I have owned many different brands over the years.

https://www.synology.com/en-us/products/RT2600ac

Looks like it can be purchased at Amazon.com for your exact price point:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=rt2600ac

Tim

• Like 1

Mindovermaster    987

I like my ASUS RT-N66R. I had alot in my past, too. Linksys, Netgear, D-Link, Amped.

Circaflex    3,134

Is your budget, $200 US dollars? I will never recommend a consumer device again, they are pure junk. Every, single, one of them.

I would recommend this setup:

ER-X($50): https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-ER-X-Router/dp/B0144R449W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1511731347&sr=8-2&keywords=edgerouter-x

in conjunction with this access point (for the wireless signal)

UAP-AC-PRO ($140): https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-802-11ac-Dual-Radio-UAP-AC-PRO-US/dp/B015PRO512/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1511731383&sr=8-3&keywords=UAP-AC-Pro

This configuration will blow away anything that you can buy off the shelf, sold as a "home" router.

• Like 4

xendrome    4,668

AmpliFi HD Mesh is by Ubiquiti and it's consumer, works amazing.

• Like 1

jamester64    12

Yes  $200 US dollars

Thanks for your suggestion

Circaflex    3,134
1 minute ago, xendrome said:

AmpliFi HD Mesh is by Ubiquiti and it's consumer, works amazing.

While I agree, this product is great, I didn't include it because the price for the "kit" is over $300 dollars. Just a tad over the budget listed by OP.

Seahorsepip    567

I'd stay away from cheaper brands like TP-LINK, currently own a AC1350 and ended up unhooking it and giving up on it.

My router firmware kept being hacked and replaced by a modified russian version, I had literally taken all security precautions and updated it to it's latest firmware (which is making outdated an art form).

Since this is not the first time I had these issues with consumer routers, I plan on buying a Asus router since I've heard better reviews about them and updates or I just give up and get a Google Wifi mesh router pack.

adrynalyne    8,572
1 hour ago, Seahorsepip said:

I'd stay away from cheaper brands like TP-LINK, currently own a AC1350 and ended up unhooking it and giving up on it.

My router firmware kept being hacked and replaced by a modified russian version, I had literally taken all security precautions and updated it to it's latest firmware (which is making outdated an art form).

Since this is not the first time I had these issues with consumer routers, I plan on buying a Asus router since I've heard better reviews about them and updates or I just give up and get a Google Wifi mesh router pack.

I’d just dump consumer junk altogether. 

jamester64    12
29 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

I’d just dump consumer junk altogether. 

Any suggestions then ?

TIA

Mindovermaster    987

@adrynalyne and @Circaflex why ban consumer level routers? Have a bad time with them?

xendrome    4,668
3 hours ago, Circaflex said:

While I agree, this product is great, I didn't include it because the price for the "kit" is over $300 dollars. Just a tad over the budget listed by OP.

He could start with the router at $130, which works great. And add a meshpoint or two if necessary - http://a.co/euWQDJ3

T3X4S    4,525
1 hour ago, Mindovermaster said:

@adrynalyne and @Circaflex why ban consumer level routers? Have a bad time with them?

1 hour ago, jamester64 said:

Any suggestions then ?

TIA

They way I look at it is like this:  

Lack of config
Lack of real security
Lack of control

Those 3 reasons are why I went with Cisco Meraki

So is KRACK as bad as it sounds ?

Mindovermaster    987
11 minutes ago, T3X4S said:

They way I look at it is like this:  

Lack of config
Lack of real security
Lack of control

Those 3 reasons are why I went with Cisco Meraki

So is KRACK as bad as it sounds ?

Yeah, yet some of these kids don't know how to manage these monsters. They just want something that works.

+DevTech    1,058

Seriously? Would any of you file a recommendation in your company without gathering any requirements?

The OP has not stated his usage model, throughput requirements or wireless coverage needs in terms of area to be covered, types of devices, types of surfaces that can affect the signal, interference levels etc.

Then, what does he mean in terms of the next few years. Simply not dying? Handling emerging standards? Increase in his device load? Faster speeds?

Wireless is only going to get more complex.

Without any specific info, and being aware that $200 is not much, we have an initial restriction to cheap consumer devices. The main reason these devices die is that they are overloaded and overheat.

The way to improve longevity and also to permit increased granularity in controlling upgrades to your network, I suggest separating out functions and distributing them.

1. I use a PC configure with IPFIRE.ORG to handle high throughput routing with total control over the config. The user interface is no more difficult than a standard consumer router.

2. I locate multiple consumer "wireless routers" re-purposed as Wireless Access Points and dedicate them to specific areas of coverage or frequency bands to reduce interference and provide perfect coverage everywhere. If any device fails, it can be easily replaced and the network keeps running.

xendrome    4,668

Regular consumers just want to purchase something that works, not have to allow LAN>WAN traffic and setup ACLs on an Edgemax router. 

The two best suggestions so far are the Synology router and the AmpliFi HD I recommended if he needs larger coverage.

• Like 1

adrynalyne    8,572
1 hour ago, jamester64 said:

Any suggestions then ?

TIA

Ubiquiti products. Not the easiest to configure initially if you are new to it, but it works very, very well. I had a KRACK patch in under 8 hours of the exploit being announced. 

Edited by adrynalyne
  • Like 2

+DevTech    1,058

Consumer routers will work well enough as long as you don't use them for routing, NAT translation or Firewall all of which overheat the device at high bandwidth modern speeds.

Just let them handle the already difficult task of wireless signal processing and everything else can just "pass through"

Then front them all with a Linux Distro like ipfire.org

https://www.ipfire.org/

ipfire_tux_512x512.png

adrynalyne    8,572

I’ve not run into one yet that hasn’t had a short lifetime, problems with stability, lack of control, security issues, inconsistent updates.

The price for the top end stuff is often more expensive than Ubiquiti stuff and performs no better or worse. Obviously this is my two cents. I’m aware you can dd-wrt and what not, but that’s just trying to gain more control which you have with prosumer and enterprise stuff anyway. 

+DevTech    1,058
3 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

I’ve not run into one yet that hasn’t had a short lifetime, problems with stability, lack of control, security issues, inconsistent updates.

The price for the top end stuff is often more expensive than Ubiquiti stuff and performs no better or worse. Obviously this is my two cents. I’m aware you can dd-wrt and what not, but that’s just trying to gain more control which you have with prosumer and enterprise stuff anyway. 

Yes. Changing the software in the device won't help because they are overloaded at at hardware level and software won't help that.

I have opened up many failed devices and once you get all the stupid fancy plastic bits out of the way, you get cheap PCBs, really inadequate heat sinks, no active cooling and bursting power supply caps in 50% of the units.

Circaflex    3,134
17 minutes ago, xendrome said:

Regular consumers just want to purchase something that works, not have to allow LAN>WAN traffic and setup ACLs on an Edgemax router. 

The two best suggestions so far are the Synology router and the AmpliFi HD I recommended if he needs larger coverage.

Please dont take this the wrong way, I agree with much of what you’ve said, however EdgeOS is fairly simple these days. The built-in config wizard makes a home setup a pretty simple task. 

adrynalyne    8,572
2 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

Please dont take this the wrong way, I agree with much of what you’ve said, however EdgeOS is fairly simple these days. The built-in config wizard makes a home setup a pretty simple task. 

Do you even have to setup ACLs? My USG runs EdgeOS and I’ve never had to do it. 

xendrome    4,668
11 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

Do you even have to setup ACLs? My USG runs EdgeOS and I’ve never had to do it. 

I can tell you an EdgeRouter ER-X which was suggested above isn't going to route traffic out of the box. A regular consumer wants to plug in their modem, device and go. Not have to setup interfaces, allow IP traffic LAN>WAN via rules. They 1: Don't know how to do this and 2: Don't want to do this.

• Like 1

adrynalyne    8,572
31 minutes ago, xendrome said:

I can tell you an EdgeRouter ER-X which was suggested above isn't going to route traffic out of the box. A regular consumer wants to plug in their modem, device and go. Not have to setup interfaces, allow IP traffic LAN>WAN via rules. They 1: Don't know how to do this and 2: Don't want to do this.

http://thecyberfusion.com/edgerouter-x-setup-installation-diy/

Doesn't look terribly frightening vs consumer setup. I'd even go so far to say that Unifi equipment is more complicated to setup, and I never had to set ACLs.

• Like 1