Advice for a new AC router

1 hour ago, xendrome said:

I can tell you an EdgeRouter ER-X which was suggested above isn't going to route traffic out of the box. A regular consumer wants to plug in their modem, device and go. Not have to setup interfaces, allow IP traffic LAN>WAN via rules. They 1: Don't know how to do this and 2: Don't want to do this.

Again, the built in wizard takes care of all of that. It isnt a complicated process and there are no rules to set after running said wizard out of the box. It takes no more effort than an off the shelf router these days. 

13 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

Do you even have to setup ACLs? My USG runs EdgeOS and I’ve never had to do it. 

Not on a simple home setup, at least i havent had to. Theyve really made it simple with the last few updates to EdgeOS

I wanted to touch on the subject a little more, now that I am in front of a computer. I 100% agree that the average consumer wants plug and play, they don't want any additional setup steps. However, in this case, I feel those on Neowin for the most part are "above" the norm, not always, but most of the time. OP seems like the type that wouldn't have any problems doing the setup, unlike most users he knew the models to his last two units and has been around Neowin for some time now. I would assume running the built-in wizard wouldn't be that hard for him, thus why the recommendation of the ER-X was my first choice. I guess, I am assuming in this case, however I still think the process isn't that difficult and is straight forward.

16 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

@adrynalyne and @Circaflex why ban consumer level routers? Have a bad time with them?

Well, my biggest grip is the asinine price most of the "good" home routers cost, I mean we are talking upwards of $200+ dollars for gimmicks. The quality isn't all that great for some brands and not to mention the lack of timely firmware updates. Most are sub-par quality and many of the new ones are hideous and look like giant tarantulas. The software is often lacking and although DDWRT, or third party firmware can help, the hardware inside is generally lacking.

Thank you all for the advice and suggestions 

I am going to try out the Ubiquiti https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-802-11ac-Dual-Radio-UAP-AC-PRO-US/dp/B015PRO512/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1511731383&sr=8-3&keywords=UAP-AC-Pro

and see how I like it, since the wired part of my NETGEAR  AC1750 router still works fine I will connect to that and see how it goes.

The good thing right now is if you are an Amazon Prime member, purchases made now are returnable until Jan. 31 2018 so this gives me a nice testing window.

Thanks again for the advice :-)

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, jamester64 said:

I am going to try out the Ubiquiti https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-802-11ac-Dual-Radio-UAP-AC-PRO-US/dp/B015PRO512/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1511731383&sr=8-3&keywords=UAP-AC-Pro

and see how I like it, since the wired part of my NETGEAR  AC1750 router still works fine I will connect to that and see how it goes.

The good thing right now is if you are an Amazon Prime member, purchases made now are returnable until Jan. 31 2018 so this gives me a nice testing window.

If you are just doing the AP, keep in mind that there is now a way to set it up with the mobile app instead of needing the controller service. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jamester64 said:

Those are great. 

Got my parents the 

Ubiquiti UAP-AC-LR

I got both my GF  and myself the 
Ubiquiti UAP-AC-LR 

On 11/27/2017 at 10:52 AM, adrynalyne said:

If you are just doing the AP, keep in mind that there is now a way to set it up with the mobile app instead of needing the controller service. 

Interesting,

Is it possible to set up the AP with the mobile app without having  a wireless connection beforehand ? 

4 minutes ago, jamester64 said:

Interesting,

Is it possible to set up the AP with the mobile app without having  a wireless connection beforehand ? 

after looking at the mobile app requirements looks like this might be the way

:STANDALONE MODE

This is an alternative method for configuring UniFi APs. The app is designed for anyone who wants to control their UAPs right away without configuring a controller.

Requirements:
- APs need to be physically connected to a network that provides DHCP.

How to:
1. Make sure the UAP is on and in factory default state (solid white LED).
2. Go to "Devices Nearby".
2. Make sure your iOS device and the UAP are on the same L2 network. If this is a problem (e.g. if you don't have a Wi-Fi network yet), you can access the UAP by scanning its QR code. Tap on the "+" button and follow the on-screen instructions in the wizard.
3. The UAP should automatically show up in the "Devices Nearby" list.
4. Tap on your device in the list, then on "Configure" in the top right, and configure your device.:

3 hours ago, jamester64 said:

after looking at the mobile app requirements looks like this might be the way

:STANDALONE MODE

This is an alternative method for configuring UniFi APs. The app is designed for anyone who wants to control their UAPs right away without configuring a controller.

Requirements:
- APs need to be physically connected to a network that provides DHCP.

How to:
1. Make sure the UAP is on and in factory default state (solid white LED).
2. Go to "Devices Nearby".
2. Make sure your iOS device and the UAP are on the same L2 network. If this is a problem (e.g. if you don't have a Wi-Fi network yet), you can access the UAP by scanning its QR code. Tap on the "+" button and follow the on-screen instructions in the wizard.
3. The UAP should automatically show up in the "Devices Nearby" list.
4. Tap on your device in the list, then on "Configure" in the top right, and configure your device.:

Sounds about right. I’ve never configured them this way as I have a full UniFi network with controller. 

Update : 

My Ubiquiti UAP-AC-PRO-US was delivered on Friday while my wife and I were at our favorite Mexican restaurant, and I must say

after consuming a platter of nachos and downing 4 top shelf margaritas I couldn't wait to get home and dive in,

the device is definitely geared towards a commercial environment but even though I'm a carpenter by trade that purchased my first PC in 2000

and by no means and IT professional although I do my best to keep up to date with technology, build my own computers and manage my home network,

the setup was pretty straight forward using the default settings and after doing a little trial and error getting it optimized for a home environment was not difficult at all.

I am very happy with this device and thank all the users that recommended it.

File Dec 04, 3 40 29 PM.png

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to test out another recommendation  of the AmpliFi HD Home Wi-Fi Router (AFI-R) and I am really liking this little cube

I'm actully getting better range than the Ubiquiti UAP-AC-PRO-US and as of today at 9:00 pm pacific time through tomorrow  12-13

these are on sale for $99  https://store.amplifi.com/  :-) 

Enjoy !

Edited by jamester64
dates

17 minutes ago, jamester64 said:

I decided to test out another recommendation  of the AmpliFi HD Home Wi-Fi Router (AFI-R) and I am really liking this little cube

I'm actully getting better range than the Ubiquiti UAP-AC-PRO-US and as of today at 9:00 pm pacific time through tomorrow  12-13

these are on sale for $99  https://store.amplifi.com/  :-) 

Enjoy !

Are you using the cube by itself or do you also have some additional extenders?

2 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

Are you using the cube by itself or do you also have some additional extenders?

I have been testing the white cube by it self for the last few days but when I saw the current deal I ordered a new cube (black) and a mesh extender for even further range :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Just got the Edgerouter X. 50 bucks!, it really is impressive. Got my ipsec vpns for work going pretty quickly. Struggling with the firewall rules to block work from part of my network. But found away around that by setting the vpn local ip range to /27.