Any Hybrid owners? Just joined the club with Ioniq

Just got new ioniq (hybrid) wondering if any owners here, or other hybrids.

Only had about a week, and was off so not a lot of driving as of yet.  Since this is my first experience with hybrid wondering on tips or experience with driving to maximize mpg, etc..  One drive into the city and this work this morning and its showing 46.2 avg mpg.. Its suppose to be able to do 58 combined..  But won't really know for sure until I can go through a few full tanks of gas, etc.  That number is just off dash readout..  I reset it when I got it but it resets to show like 28..  So its been going up pretty much the whole time.

It wasn't a great day to buy - rainy and cold. But here is a pic in my drive..

ioniq.thumb.JPG.405fc579b825be1b43e66623137c671a.JPG

And I have to drop it off to get the leather seats put in today..  So that will put off more driving for a couple of days, the model I wanted sold day before I came in - but worked out a good price and them adding leather seats.  And this one had the tech package which was not something was looking for... But the automatic cruise is pretty slick, drove into the city the other day and really didn't have to touch the cruise at all - it just adjusted speed to maintain distance to cars in front of me, etc.

Also anyone know a safe way to test the automatic braking?  Not willing to run into a wall or anything if doesn't work ;)

nice car!   funny that you ask about how to test the auto stopping, a friend has one and he bought a big poster board and had 2 cones that he taped it to.  put it in front of the car and it wouldn't run in to it.

My wife had hers delivered a few months back. I've taken it for a spin a few times on some local journeys where it's more economical. 

My initial thoughts, it's a nice car to drive, but I still prefer my Mazda 3 :p I find it way more responsive to situations. Brakes are better, acceleration is better, I feel much safer when going around corners. 

I've tried the adaptive cruise control control a few times and I'm not a fan. To me it's seems too un-natural. For example, if I'm driving and a car moves out in front of me, I'll ease of the accelerator to increase the distance between myself and it, whereas the Ioniq will hit the brakes to bring it back to the 2 car length. 

I haven't had a need (thankfully) to test the automatic breaking, but not sure how you would test it without potentially causing an accident :p

Do you have lane keep assist on yours, where it'll beep at you if you cross over a white lane marking without indicating? I feel like that tool/assist thing subtle moves the steering wheel a little when you're driving, but not sure if that's just me. 

I have a 2014.5 Camry hybrid. Not all the bells and whistles you have (no auto braking) but get about 38mpg on average from the 40 combined that I am supposed to get. I guess if I slowed down to 65mph, but then I will get passed even if I were driving in the right lane.

Maintenance is simple, oil every 10k miles, rotate tires every 5k miles. Drop a air filter in every 30k miles and keep going. I have almost 90k miles on mine (50mi one way)

I want to get a second car to offset the miles a bit. Moving closer brings the House price up over 300k. I can buy quite a bit of cars for that price difference.

2 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

I haven't had a need (thankfully) to test the automatic breaking, but not sure how you would test it without potentially causing an accident :p

I think cardboard or something like a hanging curtain or bedsheet would set the sensor off.

I have a Prius C. No fancy anything, just good mileage. Hoping it will last me long enough so that my next purchase can be self-driving. :D

1 minute ago, zhangm said:

I think cardboard or something like a hanging curtain or bedsheet would set the sensor off.

I have a Prius C. No fancy anything, just good mileage. Hoping it will last me long enough so that my next purchase can be self-driving. :D

I'd never thought of that...may have to try and convince the wife to let me try. 

Probably not my next car, but hopefully the one after will be a self driving one.

Yeah its got the lane assist and the blind spot warning, etc.. I have not had a chance to drive it enough to test out all the features..  But on my drive into the city the other day when lane assist is on and you go to change lanes without putting your blinker it does beep at you ;)  And it wasn't anything in blind area - it shows you car with 2 stripes as green on the dash when lane assist is active

Same goes for the auto cruise - just not enough experience with it as of yet to know if like or dislike it.. But it is nifty feature...   And you can adjust the distance from 4 bars to 1 bar but not sure exactly how much distance each bar means..  Not sure want to drive at 1 bar distance at 70+ miles an hour like traffic around chicago moves at.. You normally have too speeds, parking lot or 70+ if not 80..

Might have to try out the cardboard or curtain test... And when get a chance see if keeps in the lane on its own or not even if just a bit on a slight curve or something..

Its about 40 miles round trip to and from work every day.. So looking to put in gas only once month or so vs like every week..  The range on full tank showed like 630 miles or something.. But not sure how accurate those are... I am old school for gas mileage.. Like to record the miles driven and then how much gas it takes to fill up..  This I know is accurate ;)

Kind of looking for gas prices to go higher in an odd sort of way will feel like saving more money - hehe... Not really a fan of the hatchback style, going to take a bit getting use.. And their glass below the window that gives you split view in what is suppose to be a spoiler, etc.

splitview.thumb.png.d910c77c9746ab03c259fe9b3b1a7f6f.png

Is a bit odd.. Seems like your view is obstructed.. But just will take a bit to get use to I am thinking.

1 hour ago, BudMan said:

Yeah its got the lane assist and the blind spot warning, etc.. I have not had a chance to drive it enough to test out all the features..  But on my drive into the city the other day when lane assist is on and you go to change lanes without putting your blinker it does beep at you ;)  And it wasn't anything in blind area - it shows you car with 2 stripes as green on the dash when lane assist is active

Same goes for the auto cruise - just not enough experience with it as of yet to know if like or dislike it.. But it is nifty feature...   And you can adjust the distance from 4 bars to 1 bar but not sure exactly how much distance each bar means..  Not sure want to drive at 1 bar distance at 70+ miles an hour like traffic around chicago moves at.. You normally have too speeds, parking lot or 70+ if not 80..

Might have to try out the cardboard or curtain test... And when get a chance see if keeps in the lane on its own or not even if just a bit on a slight curve or something..

Its about 40 miles round trip to and from work every day.. So looking to put in gas only once month or so vs like every week..  The range on full tank showed like 630 miles or something.. But not sure how accurate those are... I am old school for gas mileage.. Like to record the miles driven and then how much gas it takes to fill up..  This I know is accurate ;)

Kind of looking for gas prices to go higher in an odd sort of way will feel like saving more money - hehe... Not really a fan of the hatchback style, going to take a bit getting use.. And their glass below the window that gives you split view in what is suppose to be a spoiler, etc.

Is a bit odd.. Seems like your view is obstructed.. But just will take a bit to get use to I am thinking.

you get used to it, my 2006 Civic CDTI has the same thing.

My dad had a 1st gen pruis...omg it was an awful soulless lump of metal and drove like a dog. He has a newer Hybrid, the Toyota Auris hatch these days. So much better to drive and decent specs inside.

ill stick to my CDTIs for a few more years, 2.2 chipped spits out 200BHP and 50-55MPG (uk MPG) our newer 2016 CDTI is only the 1.6 but returns 68MPG all day long. Its also one of the cleaner Diesel engines.

Ah 55mpg uk works out to 45.8 Mpg US.. so if doing the math right 58 mpg that this is suppose to do would work out to 69.7 UK mpg.

2 hours ago, BudMan said:

Ah 55mpg uk works out to 45.8 Mpg US.. so if doing the math right 58 mpg that this is suppose to do would work out to 69.7 UK mpg.

Thats pretty decent, my dads Auris hatch sees about 60 UK mpg (not exactly the flattest location) my 1.6 cdti beats it at average 68mpg. Im really impressed in the advancement over his Pruis. It feels just like a normal car. Next buy will be a hybrid probably for the commute car.

16 hours ago, BudMan said:

I believe those bars are supposed to represent car lengths, but I set it to 1 and it seemed to keep a reasonable distance and did not seem to be a single car length. 

I think that strange split is to do with it's super aero dynamic(ness?), I find it annoying, but my wife has gotten used to it. It's a blessing when driving at night because it's around the height of an average car's headlights so cuts out some of the glare. 

We've been averaging about 60MPG so it's pretty decent. 

60MPG... nice!!!  The dash readout went up from 46.x  in morning to 49.8 when I got home with my drive to work and back yesterday..  So its clearly on the upward trend..

So your 60mpg is what it reads on the dash readout, or this is what your measuring via miles and gas put in?  But your in the uk are you not?  So that works out to be different than us mpg..  I show 60 uk mpg would only be 49.66 us mpg.. Which would be on the low side from what its suppose to be able to do.. Combined should be closer to the 58 mpg mark us, or 69 mpg "uk"

BTW - thanks for all the posts.. Dropped it off to get the leather seats last night.. Gave me a elantra - uggh ;) hehehe  They said they couldn't give me the Genesis as loaner... Which I say is BS ;)   But its only a day or so..

Well normally its all to and from work - we normally take the wife's car when going anywhere.. I just let her drive ;)  She is always putting her hand out, and making noises, flinching.. Can not drive with her and not get into some sort of fight ;)  After 32 years its just easier to let her drive, or if I drive have her sit in the back... heheheh

Advantage to this is I always have a designated driver - which doesn't hurt my feeling in the least... :beer::beer::innocent: She only wants me to drive when go into the city.. She can not parallel park.. Next car of hers for sure should get the self parking feature if not fully self drive ;)

I will keep an eye on the mileage on way to work this morning to get a accurate breakdown.. It should be mostly highway.. But stopped talking the elgin ohare express since after a few months of the new tolls.. It's nuts - was doing 4$ a day in tolls, vs if I drive down a bit and get on 355 later its only 2$ a day.

58 minutes ago, BudMan said:

60MPG... nice!!!  The dash readout went up from 46.x  in morning to 49.8 when I got home with my drive to work and back yesterday..  So its clearly on the upward trend..

So your 60mpg is what it reads on the dash readout, or this is what your measuring via miles and gas put in?  But your in the uk are you not?  So that works out to be different than us mpg..  I show 60 uk mpg would only be 49.66 us mpg.. Which would be on the low side from what its suppose to be able to do.. Combined should be closer to the 58 mpg mark us, or 69 mpg "uk"

BTW - thanks for all the posts.. Dropped it off to get the leather seats last night.. Gave me a elantra - uggh ;) hehehe  They said they couldn't give me the Genesis as loaner... Which I say is BS ;)   But its only a day or so..

That's just a dash readout, but we've both just gotten new cars, so I may try and get her to give me some number so I can get a real readout. 

Yes UK based, so it's a little lower than what I'd expect, my wife does have a heavy foot though. I have that in my car, but I try and be a little more sensible with her car ;)

1 hour ago, BudMan said:

I find MPG varies depending on what fuel i use, if i use supermarket diesel (which is cheaper) I get approx 5-10mpg less unless i add Redex Diesel treatment. 

Its a false economy to use Asda or Tesco diesel, it has a higher bio-diesel content in the UK, i get much better MPG if I use Shell, BP or Esso fuel.

The Honda MPG is pretty accurate when i manually calculate it its 1 or 2 mpg out. the Civic have 2 fuel calculations, one you reset with every fill and a second whic i leave running for thelife of the car, ive done 68k in the 2006 civic since 3 yr ago....both average MPG are within 5% of each other.

my travelling is between 65 mph and 70mph for a 30 mile round trip a day to work, cruise control is vital to keep the MPG up, even with the chipped 2006 Civic @200bhp I can push the turbo to its max all day long and it still returns 50MPG (UK) im happy with that :) Considering i replaced a 1997 Saab 2.3i 16v Cabrio as my daily runner...in the city i cheered when it would hit 19MPG......:shiftyninja:

Chipping the old girl was the best thing ive ever spent £200 on, sitting at lights, boy racers think they can wipe the floor with me....heh err no. Its as quick as a stock 2006 Civic Type-R 0-60 but looks totally standard.

Yeah my wife is same way heavy foot, both on the gas and brake ;) Never a smooth transition...

So I looked at mileage on drive to work.. 18.9 door to parking lot at work.. With 15.1 of that being highway.  That was with tollroad all the way.. When I get my car back will do my normal more residential vs highway.. But they are paying tolls on the loaner.. So yeah going to take them ;)

She was suppose to be able to get 25 with her SantaFE, avg would show like 18...   Whenever I drove it avg mpg would always go up a few notches...

39 minutes ago, Mando said:

I find MPG varies depending on what fuel i use, if i use supermarket diesel (which is cheaper) I get approx 5-10mpg less unless i add Redex Diesel treatment. 

Its a false economy to use Asda or Tesco diesel, it has a higher bio-diesel content in the UK, i get much better MPG if I use Shell, BP or Esso fuel.

I've never seen that much of a difference but I know that it definitely makes a difference. For my 2006 Clio, there was a 4-5MPG difference between filling up at Tesco or Shell. 

I had a guy in a garage tell me, that he had a lady come complaining about her car being a stuttering/cutting out, she switched to Shell (or equivalent) and it's stopped acting up.