Optane - what is it and is it worth it?

Just finished my new build and my Asus Maximus Hero board says it is Intel Optane ready. What exactly is that and is it worth looking into and buying for performance reasons?

^ Beat me to it :p

Newegg are selling a 480GB SSD that's Optane Ready for $600, unless you have money to spare. I'd say it's probably not worth it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Talking about the 32 and/or 64 GB Optane nVME drives? Might be worth it if you're just running spinners (would be like a HDD/hybrid on steroids)... if your operating system is already on a SSD ... probably not.

Talking about the more expensive Optane SSDs...noooooo...I'd rather go with the 960's.

1 hour ago, Jim K said:

Talking about the 32 and/or 64 GB Optane nVME drives? Might be worth it if you're just running spinners (would be like a HDD/hybrid on steroids)... if your operating system is already on a SSD ... probably not.

Talking about the more expensive Optane SSDs...noooooo...I'd rather go with the 960's.

I have a 512GB 960 Pro M2 for OS and common games I run then I use a 2 drive raid 3TB volume for other stuff. Sounds like it's probably not worth the extra expense.

as stated above its a new name for an old tech of caching platter drives using an SSD. On RAID platters, meh hardly worth it, it only speeds cached R/Ws which can be done using iRST and ASUS ROG RAMCache II to do basically the same with some system RAM.

if running just SSDS its pointless. with my sig rig, ive disabled it.

id rather use the NVME slots for actual data drives tbh. Just remember youll lose 2 sata ports if you use both M2 slots.

5 minutes ago, patseguin said:

I have a 512GB 960 Pro M2 for OS and common games I run then I use a 2 drive raid 3TB volume for other stuff. Sounds like it's probably not worth the extra expense.

Nope..not worth it in your setup. If you only had HDDs and you're on a budget...it probably would be.