Router/AP Set Up And Hardware

4 hours ago, BudMan said:

So you shouldn't be doing any of it really - hire a professional to design how your new house should be wired to future proof it...

In places like your living room prob makes sense to have multiple drops like power outlets - never know where someone would put their AV cab, TV, etc. And want a drop..

Exactly. I just want to be prepared, not going into this blindly.

12 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

Wouldn’t it make more sense to have 1-2 drops and just use a switch if you need to expand out to multiple devices? Seems kinda crazy to have four+ drops just for an entertainment center. 

I'd rather just have the one central switch instead of many 4-8 port switches around the house

^ agreed bunch of access switches all over the place doesn't make sense, unless you have bunch of devices in the same place.  For example I use my av cabinet in my living room as IDF while my den/computer room/office is my MDF..

My internet comes into my room.. So this is where the modem and router/firewall is and the main core switch sg300-28.  I have bunch of stuff in my room.. I then have link up into the attic and then down into the living room where my av cabinet is.  Here there is another managed switch sg300-10, this is where all the networked stuff in that cabinet connects. 

Drops that go into the guestroom for that AP and Hallway AP all connect to my core switch.  If I had bigger house and need of connections in other rooms they would run to my room the MDF for the house..  While stuff on the other end of the house connected into the av cab, IDF..

So normally you would have drops all running to central location in the house where you would use your main bigger switch to connect everything.  But in the case where your going to have a bunch of other equipment then sure an access layer switch would make sense there.  But your not going to want to put in a switch everywhere you need 2 drops..   But if your talking 4, 5, 8 etc.. then sure switch would be very good use there..

On 12/14/2017 at 8:38 PM, Matthew S. said:

RJ45 (Ethernet) jacks are backwards compatible with RJ11 (telephone)...

Yup, i always run cat5/6 for PBX switchboards, as others have said its simply using 4 twisted pairs. normal PSTN is also the same. 

in house installs i avoid wireless wherever possible, wired ftw always! wired backbone then Aps where you need them for handheld devices. You cant beat structured cabling. 

35 minutes ago, Mando said:

Yup, i always run cat5/6 for PBX switchboards, as others have said its simply using 4 twisted pairs. normal PSTN is also the same. 

in house installs i avoid wireless wherever possible, wired ftw always! wired backbone then Aps where you need them for handheld devices. You cant beat structured cabling. 

Well, we use phones and tablets in the house. So it's not really an option. ;)

5 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Well, we use phones and tablets in the house. So it's not really an option. ;)

the wired backbone is though mate. ;) only wireless devices at home here are my work laptop and own laptop (if not at my mancave desk), tablets, phones, firetv sitck.

The rest e.g. home cinema systems, skybox, NAS, media server etc in each room, all wired.

Each room in the house has 2 Cat6 drops which connect directly to my Modem/router/PSTN and where more than 2 wired devices or an AP is required, they are hooked directly into that backbone or an un-managed switch if more than 1 wired connection is required..

9 hours ago, Mando said:

un-managed switch

So your just 1 flat network?  No segments between any devices.. So your smart TV is on same network all your other PC..

1 hour ago, BudMan said:

So your just 1 flat network?  No segments between any devices.. So your smart TV is on same network all your other PC..

yep, dont have a smart tv mate, just standard 1080p LCD tvs atm or any IoT devices.

I have a separate guest wifi for my mates when they are here, only time its enabled, on my home wifi, i allow only my devices via mac addy, 8 wireless devices in all.

when i ran a vmware test lab at home i had VLANS etc, but thats all hosted at work these days, so i stripped it all back.

just the two of us here with our own accounts on the devices.

so you have no iot devices which is what I meant by smart tv.. No roku, no any sort of iot device.. All the 8 wireless devices are trusted device that you own and put the os on, or a tablet/phone sort of thing?

11 minutes ago, BudMan said:

so you have no iot devices which is what I meant by smart tv.. No roku, no any sort of iot device.. All the 8 wireless devices are trusted device that you own and put the os on, or a tablet/phone sort of thing?

Not really, i suppose a firetv stick and phones (LG) and 2 laptops (my old x201 Lenovo, a precision m6800 (work lappy) desktop and my NAS. none available remotely either, i have no need for external access. I do have a Sky HD sat unit on wired however. I have 2 accounts (admin and daily acc), and my partner has 1, we run limited accounts day to day on the win units.

Firestick and the HD sat unit would be the stuff that I would isolate..  Your nas is wireless?

I don't like devices that are not 100% my control being able to talk directly to other devices.. So my trusted devices like my tablet and phone while on wireless - the wireless network has no access to wired network.. Or the other wireless networks for my roku's and alexa, etc.

So my trusted wireless network that you have to use eap-tls to auth too.. Has a couple of pinholes to talk to say my plex server on 32400.. But other than that devices like that are isolated... Do not control the OS.. etc..  Sure not going to put the smart switch that I control with alexa on network with all my other stuff.  Those are on isolated vlan for only iot devices..... The direct tv sat box is on its own isolated vlan - can not talk to anything.. It just has internet access which I monitor and log, etc..

26 minutes ago, BudMan said:

Firestick and the HD sat unit would be the stuff that I would isolate..  Your nas is wireless?

I don't like devices that are not 100% my control being able to talk directly to other devices.. So my trusted devices like my tablet and phone while on wireless - the wireless network has no access to wired network.. Or the other wireless networks for my roku's and alexa, etc.

So my trusted wireless network that you have to use eap-tls to auth too.. Has a couple of pinholes to talk to say my plex server on 32400.. But other than that devices like that are isolated... Do not control the OS.. etc..  Sure not going to put the smart switch that I control with alexa on network with all my other stuff.  Those are on isolated vlan for only iot devices..... The direct tv sat box is on its own isolated vlan - can not talk to anything.. It just has internet access which I monitor and log, etc..

Nas is wired so sadly firetv stick needs access otherwise id isolate it also, sat HD box is wired for accessing TV on demand from Sky. home cinema unit ive removed from the Lan as I dont use its online abilities, its netflix and amazon prime services are painfully slow.

Your nas being wired doesn't mean firestick can not access it - just minor pinhole in the firewall between segments.  My rocku's can access plex via port 32400 which is the only port open, etc.  This greatly reduces the exposure.

14 hours ago, T3X4S said:

No not at all. 
I run a Cat6 to my laptop @ the house (laptop doesnt really move)
desktop is, of course, hard-wired.

Uh yeah.

Wires. Lots of pretty wires. Avoid wireless wherever possible.

Wireless is a headache that just never stops. A new device on the network interfering with others. An antenna that rotates a  few millimeters too much over time. A new Microwave oven. etc etc. Always minimize your use of wireless. Know which frequency which device uses and which antenna covers that frequency for which area and manually set up all the bands of all your access points and then you might end up with a wireless network that "just works"

For me, a spare LAN cable ready to go in every room is pure peace of mind...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DevTech said:

Uh yeah.

Wires. Lots of pretty wires. Avoid wireless wherever possible.

Wireless is a headache that just never stops. A new device on the network interfering with others. An antenna that rotates a  few millimeters too much over time. A new Microwave oven. etc etc. Always minimize your use of wireless. Know which frequency which device uses and which antenna covers that frequency for which area and manually set up all the bands of all your access points and then you might end up with a wireless network that "just works"

For me, a spare LAN cable ready to go in every room is pure peace of mind...

Never had a problem with wireless... :huh:

14 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Never had a problem with wireless... :huh:

do you live in a built up area? or is there sufficient space between your premises and neighbours? I can see at least 10 different SSIDs on 2.4 all within range and overlapping. It all affects speed and QoS

Try when you are in a range of say 10 different routers and SSIDs on the 2.4ghz range ;) then you will. Overlapping SSIDS on the usual 1 6 or 11.....

4 minutes ago, Mando said:

do you live in a built up area? or is there sufficient space between your premises and neighbours? I can see at least 10 different SSIDs on 2.4 all within range and overlapping. It all affects speed and QoS

Try when you are in a range of say 10 different routers and SSIDs on the 2.4ghz range ;) then you will. Overlapping SSIDS on the usual 1 6 or 11.....

There's only 6 here, from my phone. I never had a problem with them screwing up each other... Am I just lucky?

Just now, Mindovermaster said:

There's only 6 here, from my phone. I never had a problem with them screwing up each other... Am I just lucky?

6 aint bad, when there are lots they fight and amplify their signals to start a war on who gets best signal, lots of oruters use auto channel and will jump to other channels (1 6 or 11), i usually try to use ch14 so its clear. i get better throughput when they dont converge.

1 minute ago, Mando said:

6 aint bad, when there are lots they fight and amplify their signals to start a war on who gets best signal, lots of oruters use auto channel and will jump to other channels (1 6 or 11), i usually try to use ch14 so its clear. i get better throughput when they dont converge.

Most of them are out of range. I get 1 or 2 bars from them.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Most of them are out of range. I get 1 or 2 bars from them.

ideal :) i can see 6 around -60Db here not ideal. Hence pushing top end of Ch14 for mine.