Buying new 144Hz monitor, need advice

So I'm thinking of replacing my old Samsung 1080p 60Hz led monitor. I don't know much about monitors but I keep seeing people saying, once you go 144Hz you don't wanna go back to 60Hz. 

Anyway I'd like some advice from you guys. What do you think is good to buy? My budget is ~300 €. I play a lot of videogames in my spare time.

This one caught my eye, but I'm not sure about it. Is it really 5 years since release?

https://www.amazon.com/VG248QE-1920x1080-144Hz-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B00B2HH7G0

12 minutes ago, yoco said:

So I'm thinking of replacing my old Samsung 1080p 60Hz led monitor. I don't know much about monitors but I keep seeing people saying, once you go 144Hz you don't wanna go back to 60Hz. 

Anyway I'd like some advice from you guys. What do you think is good to buy? My budget is ~300 €. I play a lot of videogames in my spare time.

This one caught my eye, but I'm not sure about it. Is it really 5 years since release?

Depending on what graphics card you have, it may be worth holding off a few weeks, HDR G-sync and HDR Freesync gaming monitors are due Q1-Q2 2018 buddy. 

thats what im holding out for, im in the same boat as you using a Sammy 27" curved 1080p mon atm. Waiting for HDR Gsyncs, ofc even if you dont have a card that supports it, it should drop the price of other non HDR gaming monitors.

15 minutes ago, yoco said:

I have one of those monitors and it's worth every penny. I highly recommend it.

There's also Mando's suggestion but from what I've seen and read about gsync and freesync they are mostly gimmicks and inflate prices quite a bit.

5 minutes ago, trag3dy said:

I have one of those monitors and it's worth every penny. I highly recommend it.

There's also Mando's suggestion but from what I've seen and read about gsync and freesync they are mostly gimmicks and inflate prices quite a bit.

i thought so as well till i saw my mates Asus ROG G-sync in action buddy.....stunning, so smoooth, no microstutters at all, very impressed.

It looks as though that monitor has neither, so it would work at 144hz with both AMD & NVidia, a good compromise and a good price. Im hoping to move up to 2k or 4k ideally in the process, but thats going to start costing serious wedge if i want to go larger than 27" also.

Ive got the capability for HDR, hence waiting for it more than the Gysnc tbh.

Its a dammed shame Nvidias dont also support Freesync, the monitors are a lot cheaper due to no extra hardware inside.

1 minute ago, Mando said:

i thought so as well till i saw my mates Asus ROG G-sync in action.....stunning, so smoooth, no microstutters at all, very impressed.

Ive got the capability for HDR, hence waiting. Its a dammed shame Nvidias dont also support Freesync, the monitors are a lot cheaper due to no extra hardware inside.

Regardless, they will be outside of his stated budget. The one he is looking at is an amazing monitor which I can personally verify because I've been using them for the last two years. I don't see a reason to wait, there's always something bigger and better around the corner.

10 minutes ago, trag3dy said:

Regardless, they will be outside of his stated budget. The one he is looking at is an amazing monitor which I can personally verify because I've been using them for the last two years. I don't see a reason to wait, there's always something bigger and better around the corner.

Deffo mate, dont get me wrong i wasnt dissing the Asus, and for his budget, its about the best youll get.

Big Asus fan here for pretty much everything.

I had contemplated 3 of those actual models myself for 3 screen gaming on the 1080ti cheaper than a ROG 32" :D I assume it has HDMI & DP? 

scrub the port question,. found it again on amazon uk. decent price over here too. £235.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00B19T7QC?aaxitk=j7HsMg5wPFbyWAM9xIG-PQ&pd_rd_i=B00B19T7QC&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_p=1575406267&pd_rd_wg=hvNL3&pf_rd_r=2562CSJEPZ4TBPBN43EA&pf_rd_s=desktop-sx-top-slot&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_w=jKK9F&pf_rd_i=SUS+VG248QE+24"+Full+HD+1920x1080+144Hz+1ms+HDMI+Gaming+Monitor&pd_rd_r=c81c2ccb-f3a5-4ecf-a469-d0bb44e8dee1&hsa_cr_id=2598912370002

although you can get a 27" non 144hz version for under £200 (dont know his GPU)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B016AWALL4/ref=psdc_428652031_t2_B01GZ1TAUS?th=1

4 minutes ago, Mando said:

Deffo mate, dont get me wrong i wasnt dissing the Asus, and for his budget, its about the best youll get.

Big Asus fan here for pretty much everything.

I had contemplated 3 of those actual models myself for 3 screen gaming on the 1080ti cheaper than a ROG 32" :D I assume it has HDMI & DP? 

Yes to both. But I'm not sure which version of HDMI it's using so you will either need to use DVI-D or DP as your cable choice to get 144hz.

Just now, trag3dy said:

Yes to both. But I'm not sure which version of HDMI it's using so you will either need to use DVI-D or DP as your cable choice to get 144hz.

Yer, 3x DP (im 3x DP 1xhdmi outputs) on my 1080ti  

Thank you for replying! :D

I have GeForce 1060 6GB gpu.

How much will those new monitors cost?

Is it true, that if you want to achieve 144HZ you don't use HDMI cable?

17 minutes ago, yoco said:

Thank you for replying! :D

I have GeForce 1060 6GB gpu.

How much will those new monitors cost?

Is it true, that if you want to achieve 144HZ you don't use HDMI cable?

Depends. Newer versions of HMDI can apparently do 144hz but really the only difference between HDMI and DVI is that HDMI carries a sound signal. And if you don't care about using the speakers on the monitor then it's a non issue.

1 hour ago, yoco said:

I would get a 1440p monitor, personally.

I don't feel you can fit much content on a 1080p screen, outside of games.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, yoco said:

Aren't 1440p too expensive? An example of a good 1440p?

In the UK, 1440p monitors with refresh rates over 75 Hz start at around £350.

They are (up to the £500-range):

24", 144 Hz, AMD FreeSync - AOC AGON AG241QX (£356)

27", 144 Hz, AMD FreeSync - Iiyama G-Master GB2760QSU-B1 (£361)
27", 144 Hz, AMD FreeSync - Acer Predator XG270HU (£380)

24", 144 Hz, AMD FreeSync - Acer XF240YU (£400)

24", 165 Hz, NVIDIA G-Sync - AOC AGON AG241QG (£431)