Best SSD under $50?

I was given a $50 dollar eBay gift card by my sister today, and I'm hoping to find the best SSD out there for the money. I'll be using it for 8 months at the most, because sometime in the coming summer, I will be getting money to build a studio rig.

So, what SSD would give me the best bang for the buck? I'll be working with a 600GB HDD for storage.

Whatever you can find, bro. What amount of storage are you looking at? 120/256?

I suppose a Samsung 840/850 EVO would work fine.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

I'm looking for a 120GB.

9 minutes ago, SirWeathers said:

I don't trust Western Digital. Had a pretty rough experience with those things.

well in 50$ you'll get 120GB or 128GB from different companies, WD is famous, so I mentioned, There is also Silicon Power SSD, which I used a good one.

4 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

EBAY:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-850-EVO-120GB-Internal-2-5-MZ-75E120B-AM-SSD-BRAND-NEW/253336387475?epid=216237741&hash=item3afc067f93:g:11kAAOSwSQFaRsz9

$80

Pay the extra $30 and get a good drive

• 10 months later...

1. If in the US, and you can reach a little bit over $50, Crucial MX500 250GB. $69.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0764WCXCV
I know you said $50, but this is not the time to go super cheap.

2. Yes, possibly.
A clone operation. But that requires some space management.
Or, a clean install on the new SSD. 
What OS is this, and where did it come from?

The best 120GB range SSD I have found was one I got earlier this year which was a Intel 545s 128GB SSD for $31.99 and has a 5 year warranty. but I was fortunate as normally that same SSD is often $40+ as currently it's $41.99 (from the same place I got mine) and is not worth it at that price simply because for barely more you can get a 250-256GB range SSD. but unless your doing mostly basic internet machine type of stuff I would generally get at least a 250GB or so range SSD as, if you got the $, the 500GB range SSD's are pretty much the sweet spot lately in that you get quite a bit of capacity without paying a arm and a leg as switching to the 1TB SSD's the price is still a little steep.

also, that Intel 545s SSD has a write rating of 72TB per 128GB capacity. so in other words... 128GB SSD = 72TBW, 256GB SSD = 144TBW, 512GB SSD = 288TBW and so on. so in other words... your not going to wear the drive out from writing data to it.

but as a general rule... I would not pay more than around $30-ish for a 120-128GB range SSD and I would avoid the generic SSD's and stick to the brand names (i.e. Samsung/Crucial/Intel and the like) as it's not worth saving a little $ and risking the SSD quality. because if you pay much over $30-ish for a 120-128GB your basically getting ripped off and are better off going to the 250-256GB models for not much more $ etc.

but if the OP is looking for that best bang-for-the-buck with the highest capacity possible for a reasonable price then 500GB range SSD's are clearly the sweet spot currently. but the 250GB range models are a solid choice if one wants to keep the price pretty low. I would generally avoid the 120-128GB range models unless you just want something basic and want to keep price real low.

but currently if you want something around $50 your pretty much looking at about the 250GB models at best.

p.s. I got a Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in my primary computer (that Intel 545s is in my backup computer which is a 10 year old laptop) and I had that since May 2015 which at that time was $120 or so as for quite a bit under that price now you can get a 500GB range SSD and for not all that much more than $120 you can get the 1TB models etc.

EDIT: I just noticed this post is old as I just assumed it was a recent post given the recent reply.

Edited by ThaCrip
  • Haha 1

• sc302 locked this topic