What was the last Movie you watched? 2018 Edition

If you have recently watched a movie, tell us a bit about what you thought and give us your rating out of 5 or 10. 

Please use spoiler tags for recently released movies (5 years since the release date is a good cut-off) or just avoid spoilers all together!

Usual Neowin Rules Apply.

• Jim K pinned this topic

watched a couple yesterday as mrs is in bed ill and it was my last day of holibobs. some id seen before so ill not rate them.

John Wick 2 :- 7/10 decent enough but didnt grab me as much as the first one did.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Unlocked

(Netflix)

Unlocked-cover.thumb.jpg.fb3f732c3353e126460cfb4205ef5bc4.jpg

7.5/10

I like this type of movie, (I love the RED movies) plus I have a crush on Noomi Rapace.

Orlando Bloom breaks from his traditional roles, John Malkovich, funny even though he was trying not to be.

Without going into too much detail, the movie is about a potential bioterrorism act. Rapace saves the day.

• Like 2

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missourie - 9.5/10

3bb_KEY_1SHEET_101_F3_sm.jpg

I can definately see why it's getting all the hype around the Oscars. A good film with some very good performances. There's a reason it didn't get the full 10/10 from me, but I won't say due to spoilers.

• 2 weeks later...

Dunkirk

5 out of 10

Was really disappointed in this movie.  Such a wasted opportunity in telling the story of Dunkirk IMO.  

• Like 1

Gonna change up my format ever so slightly for 2018. First two were 2017 views, but I'm not going to bump the old thread.

Big Daddy (1999) [8/10] Literally my first time seeing this. It's been a favourite of my wife's forever, and I think she had the Big Daddy/Mr Deeds DVD two-pack, but now we have the Blu-ray two-pack. (I haven't seen Mr Deeds, either.) She suggested this one and we watched it. I'm not a big Adam Sandler fan; I like Billy Madison and Happy Gilmore as much as the next guy, but beyond that I'm not a huge fan. Wife thinks he can do no wrong and didn't even dislike Click. Oh... Reign Over Me was excellent, though not a traditional role for Sandler. I would however say that Big Daddy was above average for him, though it's the same formula. He's an irresponsible man child who ends up getting his way. I was entertained throughout, so I gave it a high rating. The movie did what it set out to do, and did it well.

Crash (2005) [10/10] One of my favourite films. It's top 10 if not top 5. I live in a racially mixed area, and while I'm afraid of my black neighbors hearing this movie and getting offended when I play it at volume (lots of N-bombs), I also think about how great of an opportunity it would be to invite them in and watch the movie with them. As crazy as that sounds, that's what this movie is about. It's about a bunch of stressed out people in Los Angeles from diverse backgrounds who 'crash' into each other on their worst days. Most of them are fundamentally good people with bad traits. In some ways it's pure urban fantasy (the invisible cloak) and in others, it's gripping drama (the fateful traffic stop). It's hard to watch at times (the break-in... the flipped car), but it's so, so good. I don't watch this one often, but when I do, every few years, it's an experience.

Kimi no Na wa. (2016) [10/10] All-time favourite film right now. I watched it with my best friend on the 28th of December last year for the sixth time, and then on New Year's Eve/Day for the 7th time. I timed it so that the, um, big move moment happened right at midnight. I don't want to say what, though it's hinted at in the very first scene (and on the movie cover and all the signage). And then my wife came out to spend New Year's with me (I was in fact watching this at work) and even though we had both just watched the movie literally three days prior, she sat with me for the last 2/3 of it. She's actually the big anime fan, but she's not as big on this one — she'd probably rate it 7-8/10, though I haven't asked (she'd be annoyed by the question). So she's big on anime as a medium or a genre unto itself, whereas I don't care what the medium is for the most part, I'm all about the story. However, what Makoto Shinkai has created here is nothing short of a masterpiece, with only average to above average character design, to absolutely stellar landscapes and architecture. Often, the film feels hyper-realistic as we zoom out of Tokyo and out to the countryside, or watch an autumn leaf fall into the water and make perfect ripples, or footsteps through a rainy concrete bridge, or snow falling in a city. It's almost too perfect, and it's aware of this. The story is also very good, though the amnesia mechanic presents too strongly, particularly at the end. For the story alone, I'm tempted to drop the rating to a 9/10 or even 8/10 for the stretches it makes, but I love the visuals, I really love the comet scenes, but what really pushes this film over the top is the music. The music was all written for the movie, as is custom with a lot of movies, but also, as the four lyrical songs were developed, director and writer Shinkai began adapting his story to fit the music as well. And in an absolute rarity for anime, the singer of the band RADWIMPS is bilingual, and sang the songs in both English and Japanese for the movie. If you watch it in Japanese, you get the Japanese songs. If you watch it in English, you get the songs in English.

A Silent Voice (2016) [7/10] Another anime film. This one is only in Japanese for now, but my wife and I are going to see it in English next week. I will report back with an updated review. I am not against watching a foreign movie with subtitles, but the neat thing about anime is, animation by default is not Japanese as the weebs (the really annoying anime fans) would have you believe, it is in fact silent. And then you have one studio record the Japanese audio track, and then another (such as Aniplex or Funimation here in the US) record the English audio track. So I've seen this in Japanese, and as such, mostly owing to my age and [lack of] patience, I had a hard time following this movie. Things happened that went right by me. Blink and you miss an entire line! But I stuck with it and overall I understood what was happening. It's the story of a deaf girl who is bullied by a boy with limited patience and less understanding. She transfers schools, and he is in turn bullied for driving her away. He then tries to kill himself (I missed this somehow) and fails, and begins trying to turn his life around, including making amends with her years later, when they're in high school. Even more confusing is his home family structure. The little girl who lives with him isn't his sister, it's his niece. He has a sister who is the mother of the child, but she literally only appears once in the film and she's standing behind someone, kind of like the neighbor on Home Improvement. If it was a joke it went right by me. Totally useless character and worthless complexity. If you're wondering why it matters and why the little girl isn't just his kid sister — so am I! Anyway, this movie has two main things going for it in addition to the plot. First is sign language. The characters have to learn it, and to an extent, the viewer does, too. It isn't subtitled. I don't know if ASL (American Sign Language) is the universal or if there's a Japanese Sign Language. I feel like I'm missing information, that there's a language barrier here beyond the Japanese, and that's probably the point. The main girl is deaf, and so she has problems communicating. She struggles, and so do we. Second, there's this weird thing where people have X's over their faces. This is probably just a distraction overall. It is explained, but only at the end, and we're left wondering if the X's were ever really necessary. I could explain them, but I could also say they probably weren't necessary and you can safely ignore them. If you then say, "but I can't see the faces they're obscuring," well, you're on the right track. Here's the trailer. It's for English audiences, but not a single word is spoken in the trailer. Oh, for bonus points, in both the English and Japanese versions, they used a deaf actress to play the lead. I really wanted to like this movie, and I suspect I will raise my rating once I see it in English.

The Florida Project (2017) [9/10] Not an anime movie. This one might be called Bad Parenting: The Movie. It's about three kids around 6-7 years old who raise hell around a Florida motel where they all live. Well, one lives in a nearby motel, to be specific. While Willem Dafoe is listed as the star (and he's the only person in this movie who's done anything else, AFAIK), he's not the main character. Six-year-old Moonee is, and she's like Jay from Jay and Silent Bob, except she's six. It's probably cute if you don't have kids and aggravating if you do. While it's fun to watch her and her friends' antics and tell ourselves we were never that bad (honestly I wasn't, haha), it's ultimately about the fantasies children create to shield themselves from their terrible reality, and while the film doesn't dig at Disney directly, there's an underlying theme of how bad things are just outside "the most wonderful place on Earth." And just how far they are from Disney World is revealed at one point (you really don't see it otherwise). I recommend skipping the trailer, as it strongly hints to how the movie will end, but if you're on the fence, the trailer may push you over. I would just say, as soon as the trailer makes you think "yeah I need to see this movie," stop watching the trailer and watch the movie. It is a good trailer, though. I hope this movie sweeps the awards. If they haven't already happened. I don't follow the awards. But this movie should definitely sweep them.

Tron (1982) [6/10] Yeah, I wasn't a big fan of Tron. It was okay, but a lot of it was convoluted and "just because we want to show off cool CGI," which I think is still impressive 36 years later. I liked it, but it did kind of go off the rails a lot. Anyway, my wife said she'd never seen Tron, and I could not let that stand.

• Like 2

On 1/28/2018 at 9:41 PM, Jim K said:

Dunkirk

5 out of 10

Was really disappointed in this movie.  Such a wasted opportunity in telling the story of Dunkirk IMO.  

very inaccurate huh, did they even mention all the Scottish regiments for example, who stood and defended their posts to allow the rest to escape? Ive not watched it due to the inaccuracies, U571 was the same, made up tosh which skipped the fact that it was the British Royal Navy who captured the Enigma machine from said U Boat. ;) 

Last one for me was watching The Assassins Bodyguard (again) 9/10 from me.

whats not to like! :)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mando said:

very inaccurate huh, did they even mention all the Scottish regiments for example, who stood and defended their posts to allow the rest to escape? Ive not watched it due to the inaccuracies, U571 was the same, made up tosh which skipped the fact that it was the British Royal Navy who captured the Enigma machine from said U Boat. ;) 

Last one for me was watching The Assassins Bodyguard (again) 9/10 from me.

whats not to like! :)

It's not a documentary, rather a movie about certain issues, IMO Dunkirk really makes you  "feel" the war going on. So from a cinematography point of view, it's a success. From a historical point of view well...

Acts of Vengeance (Netflix)

80190283.thumb.jpg.8d6e8fb8e392b4ed1ee1ba83fb9356a0.jpg

6/10

Was worth watching, not as deep as I had thought.

Banderas plays a lawyer, his wife and daughter are killed, Banderas goes looking for the killer.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2018 at 3:32 AM, The Evil Overlord said:

Acts of Vengeance (Netflix)

80190283.thumb.jpg.8d6e8fb8e392b4ed1ee1ba83fb9356a0.jpg

6/10

Was worth watching, not as deep as I had thought.

Banderas plays a lawyer, his wife and daughter are killed, Banderas goes looking for the killer.

wait, isnt this premise some other movie?

I just recently watched the 3 cloververse movies

#1 Holy shaky cam, nice premise and plot, not so much character development, good overall

#2 Best of the 3 imo ( also MEW... )  Really like how they tie in every day situations with what goes around

#3 Mixes a lot, but starts steering in the right direction, a bit of a mess, but otherwise enjoyable movie, cast was a bit meh... But maybe because the script is all over the place.

Looks like Netflix is out to save movies from hollywoods chop block, what with the cloverfield paradox and so on, I expect to see more big name and big budget movies hitting Netflix directly instead of theaters and maybe/probably flop or get lost in the mix of the comic book movie flood.

Murder on the Orient Express (2017) [8/10] I've never seen the earlier adaptation(s) or read the 1934 book, so I had no idea what was going to happen. I'd think it would be the kind of thing people spoil. In fact, I went in with a spoiler, but it was a red herring, so maybe I missed a couple things. Plot's simple enough. Train derails, guy winds up murdered, everyone's a suspect. Classic locked room mystery with a twist (it's a train). Pretty good, but quirky. I think a mystery should be solvable by the reader before the answer is revealed. I read somewhere that good mysteries do that, but I don't read mystery, though I hear Agatha Christie is among the best. I'm pretty sure nothing pointed to the solution, but it didn't feel like they pulled it out of the air, either.

Get Out (2017) [9/10] Try to watch this one knowing as little as possible. You shouldn't go in with expectations as to what it is or isn't. Sit back and enjoy the ride. All I'm comfortable saying about it is that it's a suspense thriller. Also, when you're done, read the trivia section on IMDb. I link Trakt, but Trakt links IMDb (bottom of the left column). But don't click on anything about it until you've seen it. It's not what you think... it's better.

What Happened to Monday (Netflix)

6/10

I fairly good movie ... had an Orphan Black feel to it (replace clones with Septuplets).  Noomi Rapace did a very good job portraying each of the 7 sisters. 

Worth the watch.

Watched black panther last night, I'd personally give it a 7/10, good movie, the moral and social message is thick and heavy, but it adds to the story which is otherwise a basic comic book story of revenge and so on.  The highlight I'd say is that it has strong female characters compared to past action/comic book movies which is a plus, but also adds to the social aspect it is going for.

The only downside is that it gets pretty CGI heavy for the final battle and it's also a dark scene so it's hard to follow what's going on.

• Like 1

Fullmetal Alchemist (2017) [8/10] Good movie, follows the anime series and manga, but skips a lot, and skips around a lot. For comparison, the first FMA anime made 26 episodes, caught up to the manga, and then made about 27 more based on their own interpretation of where the story would go. FMA Brotherhood, the second anime series, started with an original story, and then the next 9 adapted the first series' first 26 episodes, and then they did nearly 40 more episodes from the second half of the books. The movie seems to dig a little over halfway through the books, but they skipped A LOT. Scar, Armstrong, Bradley, and Pinacho (Winry's grandmother) aren't even mentioned, let alone seen. Only three of the Homunculi (Lust, Envy, and Gluttony) are seen and the others aren't mentioned. Barry the Chopper isn't used either, but the plot line of Al doubting himself is — and it's seeded by Shou Tucker, because that bastard wasn't evil enough. His role is also expanded further, though I won't say how. I will say, however, that the chimera looked AMAZING. Yes, THAT one. I wanted to reach through the screen and pet it, and give it a hug.

The chimera wasn't the only thing that they knocked out of the park. Al looked great, and Lust and Maes Hughes were spot on. (Alexander the dog was also very accurate.) Roy Mustang could have gone either way (and his flame alchemy was fantastic). Envy and Shou Tucker were good, but with Ed and Winry, it's like they didn't even try. I've seen cosplayers of both genders make a better Edward Elric than the guy they got. His performance was better than I expected, though. I feel like the movie was trying to make a counterstatement to the "white washing" in Ghost in the Shell and Death Note by making German/Dutch characters Japanese. For Winry it's less noticeable. Making a blond-haired, blue-eyed girl into a traditional Japanese girl is kind of jarring. She's Winry in name only until she takes out her boyfriend (FMA 2003 reference) and wallops Al with it, then it's just Japanese Winry. But Ed... I've heard that's his natural hair, but it's not just the blond hair on a Japanese dude. He's too tall to be Ed, and there's a certain charm about Ed's English voice actor (Vic Mignogna) that makes this just a bad Edward Elric cosplayer, but for all that, he does alright.

You can watch FMA '17 on Netflix, and it should be available globally. (I did give it its own thread when it was announced it was coming to Netflix.)

• 3 weeks later...

Having seen the whole Fullmetal Alchemist anime(s) and read the whole manga, the movie was just missing something for me personally,  so it gets a lower score,  5/10.

Also saw The Last Jedi last night, I'd give it a 7/10, it just didn't grab me as much as I thought it would on a emotional level.  I also didn't like the fact that they didn't do much with some key characters.  

Spoiler

For example I think Luke was way underused, I'm sure many people like myself would've liked to see him do more and show off more of his abilities.  While doing the whole force projection from the other side of the galaxy (or whatever) was very impressive I think fans would've liked to see him go off like what we got with Yoda in SW2.

Also Snoke, I mean really?  Just taken out like that after all his boasting and show of power?  I mean come on, that felt like a cheap end to me.

Unfortunately, it wasn't all that good, looks like they condensed everything again, just like they did the first time they made it for TV in the early 2000s .

Finally got a chance to see IT, very well done, not as scary as you think but the scenes were done very well and each of them fit into the story and plot perfectly.  I'd give it a 8/10, if it was more scary to me personally I'd give it a 9.

On 3/13/2018 at 12:33 PM, George P said:

Having seen the whole Fullmetal Alchemist anime(s) and read the whole manga, the movie was just missing something for me personally,  so it gets a lower score,  5/10.

Also saw The Last Jedi last night, I'd give it a 7/10, it just didn't grab me as much as I thought it would on a emotional level.  I also didn't like the fact that they didn't do much with some key characters.  

Yeah, after watching Mother's Basement's review, I've since lowered my Trakt and IMDb rating of FMA 2017 to 6/10. I still enjoyed the hell out of it, but now I understand what was wrong with it and had to revise my rating to reflect that. Basically they were given a list of key moments and told to hit as many as possible, and that it's okay to miss important details in between. Also, the massive plot hole of...

Spoiler

...Shou Tucker being forced to kill his daughter and her dog to keep his job, when in fact his job is guaranteed as he's secretly working for the general in a different capacity, so basically he didn't have to kill his daughter (or the dog) at all. This plot hole wasn't a plot hole in the books and anime. Though I loved how the Nina chimera looked, I couldn't stop grinning.

On 3/21/2018 at 8:34 AM, branfont said:

Unfortunately, [A Wrinkle in Time] wasn't all that good, looks like they condensed everything again, just like they did the first time they made it for TV in the early 2000s .

Damn, the book was only, what, 300 pages?

Watched some movies since...

Jumper (2008) [7/10]: I saw this movie when it was new, but I got the book in a Humble Bundle and recently read it, so I had to go back to the movie. They cut a lot out, naturally, but it was pretty good for what it was. There are a bunch of movies like this. Next. Wanted. I Am Number Four. And Jumper. Where you have a weird sci-fi wish fulfillment story where the main character does extraordinary things but doesn't really accomplish all that much... but it's a fun ride. Look, if you like this movie, read the book. I believe there are sequels. But there's another one that does it a little better. The Walls of the Universe by Paul Melko. This one has a 2-3 book series, too. It's about a guy who meets himself from a parallel world and the shenanigans that ensue. It's the same vein of quality though, it's shallow wish fulfillment... but it's fun and we want to read/see what happens next.

The Shape of Water (2017) [7/10]: I think this one won some award? Or maybe a bunch of awards? I dunno. They didn't even consider the best movie from last year, and my new favourite movie, so I really can't take awards very seriously at all. Anyway, this movie. Good on its own merits for sure, but also a little stupid. And the less said about the bestiality, the better. Not to mention the pointless nudity and sexual, um, gratification scenes. They don't give you enough to make it legitimately porn, but still rather pointless. There's probably some deep analysis on why it made the movie better, but on my level, it was just extra and I think the movie would have been fine without it. And this film had some rather stupid ideas. Beyond that it was pretty good. Though if you want to see an actually great movie about people trying to communicate across a barrier, again, go to Japanese cinema and look up a beautiful film called Koe no KatachiA Silent Voice or The Shape of Voice, depending on who you ask (the latter name being... an interesting coincidence to this film's name).

Yeah, I seem to give higher number ratings than I imply in the text... it's like... 6 and up means I liked it and how much. So a 7/10 is really a 2/5 but I liked it, if that makes sense. 1-5 means I didn't like it, but how bad is it? From 1 being really bad to 5 being it was just a dumb average movie. So a 7/10 is really not that good. 6 is average, 7 is above average, 8 is good, 9 is great, 10 is it's a masterpiece I strongly recommend. I generally don't recommend a movie unless I rate it an 8 or higher, though I might recommend a lower rated movie to someone if I think they'd like it. I've never rated a movie a 1/10 on Trakt or IMDb, but I have a 2/10, I don't recall what it is right now, but last time I looked, I thought, yeah, it deserves it. It might be Batman & Robin, which is absolutely no higher than a 4. Okay, I looked, it is Batman and Robin. And I Spit on Your Grave. And Borat. Got a bunch of 3s, more 4s, and even more 5s. I guess my ratings aren't that bad. Here's all my ratings on Trakt, starting with highest rating and then within each rating, starting with most recently watched and/or rated. This will tell you what my opinion's worth to you. If you agree with my other ratings, you'll tend to value my advice on movies you haven't seen. Conversely, if you look at my ratings and think I'm full of it, you'll know to disregard my opinions on movies. Everyone's different, so it's helpful to have context like that. (I don't care if someone agrees with me or not. Not everyone will, anyway.) Moving on...

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017) [9/10]: Yes, one I really liked! I liked 2015's The Force Awakens a little less, probably because here's all these new characters you need to care about all of a sudden... and what happens at the end to you know who. I know why it happened, but a kick to the childhood like that is never fun. Moving on, last year's Disney Star Wars movie actually felt like a Star Wars movie, and I loved it. A couple parts felt contrived, but it's Star Wars, so it fit. And the movie went out of its way to tap Empire Strikes Back a few times.  Rey and Finn still don't feel like Star Wars characters, but they're getting there. I think, and hope, that ten years from now, these films will fit in with the canon better. Right now it feels like TFA was fan fiction and TLJ was better fan fiction. And yet, it hit all the right notes as a Star Wars movie.

Downsizing (2017) [7/10]: Here's another wish fulfillment sci-fi fantasy, this time about shrinkage. Some Norwegian scientist thinks he can stop global warming by shrinking people. People are shrunk to around 5" high, though the movie bounces around on just how tall (or rather, short) the people are. The science is laughable at best, and the movie never really gets into the novelty of people being small. The small people, as they're called, are literally just like us, except they're really dependent upon us, because 97% of the world isn't going for it. The movie does touch on one social issue, with dictatorships forcibly shrinking dissidents (this is a plot point later). There are a lot of implications this movie could have explored, and for all the penis they show (and they show a lot — be warned if that makes you uncomfortable), they could have explored most of them and stayed within the level of obscenity they chose to go with, for what started out like a 90s movie lost to the ages. If you watched the Honey I Shrunk the... movies from the 90s, you'd recall that those movies were all about the new challenges presented by being small. This movie doesn't touch that at all. The Vietnamese woman is the real star of the show, and the movie should have been about her instead. If you want a Honey I Shrunk 3% of the World Population to Make a Statement About Climate Change, well, this isn't really a very good that, but it's... entertaining enough. One thing to note, I do like how they used a slightly top-down angle to remind you that these people are still small. You wouldn't know otherwise. None of the things they have are badly made for being so tiny. They have working vehicles, even phones. The movie doesn't work at all, but it's worth watching. A bit long at 135 minutes though.