dell studio 1555 won't go pass the initial boot up screen

Question

My dell studio 1555 slided off my table and I caught it after which I tried to power it on it then started a disk repair which took an hour while the disk repair was in process the laptop battery died when I plugged it in and tried to power it in it wouldn't pass the dell logo

5 answers to this question

Sounds like a hard-drive related issue from what I have seen with similar symptoms.

Here is what I would do:

Remove the battery

Press the power button a few times

Leave the battery disconnected, plug in the power cord and see if goes beyond that

**If the computer goes beyond the "boot up screen," I would run the built-in Dell Diagnostics. Generally you press Esc when the machine is turned on, or F12 and select Diagnostics

If the computer still does not go beyond the screen after you remove the battery and connect the power cord, I would remove the hard-drive and leave it disconnected, then try powering the machine on and see if it gets beyond the first boot up screen.

Hello,

I would suggest that while the Dell Studio 1555 is powered down and the battery is removed that you open up the unit and remove and replace the RAM and hard disk drive in case they became loose during the fall.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

itll be the drive, the platters and R/W heads would have probs knocked together and possibly goosed the drive, or when it was low level checking the disk the power went, possibly corrupting the MFT,MBR (depdning on how the disk was set up) or a data block.

the first thing a Dell unit will do on POST is disk check if it detected a "dirty shutdown" (on the Dell logo) and easy test is whip out the HDD and power laptop on, youll get into the bios immediately i bet ;) if so whala your drive is causing the issue.

the drive may yet still be salvageable, pop it into a usb caddy and see if another machine can see the device. If so do a disk repair on it as a external device, if recoverable, refit to laptop and you should be golden.

Boot device check is one of the first things POST does on Dells.

2 minutes ago, Mando said:

itll be the drive, the platters and R/W heads would have probs knocked together and goosed the drive. was it powered on when it started its descent?

the first thing a Dell unit will do on POST is disk check if it detected a "dirty shutdown" (on the Dell logo) and easy test is whip out the HDD and power laptop on, youll get into the bios immediately i bet ;) if so whala your drive is causing the issue.

Boot device check is one of the first things POST does on Dells.

It could even be stalling at device identification stage. Modern hard drives have part of the firmware and adaptive data on the platters themselves as well as some in the PCB ROM, so if the heads or surface are damaged, it won't read the firmware, and not identify itself.

Boot sector check comes after that, it could be failing on either. As has been said, if you can get into BIOS, check the hard drive's listed. If not, it isn't even attempting to boot, but is stuck waiting for the drive to identify.

Any clicking or weird noises? Rev up/down noises?

• Like 2