HDD Dock

I know, I've been pulling yo's arse lately...

Anyway, I need a quick fix here.

I DO have a ThermalTake BlacX 2.5/3.5 HDD reader, but.. It seems to short out every now and then. Just need to shut off the power and back on, then it can read again for X minutes.

Is there a HDD dock out there that poses the same purpose, but maybe a little better? I have used Orico in the past.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mindovermaster said:

I know, I've been pulling yo's arse lately...

Anyway, I need a quick fix here.

I DO have a ThermalTake BlacX 2.5/3.5 HDD reader, but.. It seems to short out every now and then. Just need to shut off the power and back on, then it can read again for X minutes.

Is there a HDD dock out there that poses the same purpose, but maybe a little better? I have used Orico in the past.

1. If it wasn't for you, there would be far less hardware discussion lately, so keep pulling various anatomy...

2. Does not sound like a short circuit for which smoke is the typical indicator. More like a power negotiation issue. USB dribbles out a very tiny amount of power until the device negotiates via the USB signal wires that it wants full power. Then the O/S or BIOS turns on the faucet. In case your device has a problem in that area you could try:

- make sure the device plugs directly into the motherboard USB port with no HUB or extension cable in between.

- even thought it is USB 2.0, some older computers fail to deliver enough power, so you could try plugging into a USB 3.0 motherboard port.

- in the O/S settings, there will be a sharing options setting if the device is going through an internal motherboard HUB, so try giving your device 100%

7 hours ago, warwagon said:

+1 for that bad boy, i have a similar model that supports 2.5" and 3.5" and SATA/IDE that i use at work for data recovery. :) 

and tbh MoM keep asking things, thats what we are all here for mate, it works both ways also, you input a lot into others posts too.

We all have to try and get HH busy again imo, i personally think its the best section of the forums.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DevTech said:

1. If it wasn't for you, there would be far less hardware discussion lately, so keep pulling various anatomy...

2. Does not sound like a short circuit for which smoke is the typical indicator. More like a power negotiation issue. USB dribbles out a very tiny amount of power until the device negotiates via the USB signal wires that it wants full power. Then the O/S or BIOS turns on the faucet. In case your device has a problem in that area you could try:

- make sure the device plugs directly into the motherboard USB port with no HUB or extension cable in between.

- even thought it is USB 2.0, some older computers fail to deliver enough power, so you could try plugging into a USB 3.0 motherboard port.

- in the O/S settings, there will be a sharing options setting if the device is going through an internal motherboard HUB, so try giving your device 100%

Also, check the "brick" power supply to the unit - it might be weak or dead. USB 2.0 does not have enough power for a 3.5" drive in the dock.

4 hours ago, Mando said:

+1 for that bad boy, i have a similar model that supports 2.5" and 3.5" and SATA/IDE that i use at work for data recovery. :) 

and tbh MoM keep asking things, thats what we are all here for mate, it works both ways also, you input a lot into others posts too.

We all have to try and get HH busy again imo, i personally think its the best section of the forums.

+10k posts can't be wrong. :)

I am mostly am in this forum, as well as the Linux forum. I look around at the Networking forum, too. Enjoying Dev's philosophy.

• Like 1

I have used docks from StarTech before and have a few at work.  Never had a problem with them.

I have run in to issues reading drives before but it is normally the drive itself that is the problem.