bought a used thinkpad with hdd, anything to worry about?

I bought a used thinkpad with 25 cycles in it's battery. It came with hdd and Windows 7 Pro. I don't have time or money to go out and get an ssd and install windows 10 (though I have a license for it). Is there any security risk or performance running Windows 7 nowadays?

I also erased the hdd via Lenovo's Recovery system.

1 minute ago, ultimate99 said:

I bought a used thinkpad with 25 cycles in it's battery. It came with hdd and Windows 7 Pro. I don't have time or money to go out and get an ssd and install windows 10 (though I have a license for it). Is there any security risk or performance running Windows 7 nowadays?

Not any more thn any other portable in the same space - my notebooks (all three of them) were similar reclaims - all three were originally Windows 7 hosts (what was on them when I got them); all three run Windows 10 today - with two now Insider-based portables with the latest build (the oldest one isn't because it does not have current drivers and left the Insider Program with the Fall Creator's Update and was replaced with the ASUS X45 - which is itself another portable)..

11 minutes ago, ultimate99 said:

Windows 10 is a bit more efficient and works well on older hardware unless there is a driver conflict which often cannot be resolved. So when it works (most of the time) it works better than 7.

Many of the "commercial computers" came with an upgrade certificate to 8 or 10 depending on (original) purchase date. The certificate is still legally valid even if you don't have it and would have been for Windows Pro.

Hello,

If you reinstalled the operating system via Lenovo's built-in recovery system then it should be fine, since all of the packages are digitally signed by Lenovo and/or Microsoft.  Any third-party software that gets reinstalled is going to be part of the original pre-load (like DVD watching software, etc.).

If you are still concerned, you could wipe the drive and use your Windows 10 license to perform a clean installation, but I would first recommend that you create the Windows 7 recovery media using Lenovo's tool so you can re-install that in the future if you need to for some reason.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

No issue running W7 pro still, still in extended support and received meltdown mitigation patches Jan 3rd.

The Thinkpad will also run W10 very nicely, you will find theres a good chance W10 media would still allow an upgrade using the systems 7 COA ;) 

my old X201 runs W10 a dream, and thats from before 2010.