BMW Will Reportedly Charge Subscription for Owners to use Apple CarPlay *update*


 Share

Recommended Posts

Quote

//

 

Though many manufacturers, even those of semi trucks, currently offer CarPlay as either a standard feature or optional upgrade, BMW is reportedly changing the game with America's most-wanted new car feature. The automaker is shifting from a one-time payment of $300 to enable CarPlay, to a new subscription-based service which will allow users to choose whether or not CarPlay is right for them. Smith told The Verge that this change was to make it more affordable for those who switch from iOS to Android mid-ownership, however many users across the internet see this more of a cash grab than innovation.

 

//

 

In a world of ever-changing car buying models, it becomes easy to see how this type of move will benefit manufacturers. BMW, for example, might lease a vehicle for four years, recouping $240 in subscription fees (remember, the first year is free) instead of the one-time $300 purchase of CarPlay. The vehicle comes back from its lease and is sold to the new owner for a five year period. This new owner then pays $80 each year of their ownership, bringing the total income for the subscription service to $720 over nine years, a 240% increase over the static cost for the first owner.

 

/snip

 

Full article at TheDrive

 

tl:dr ... Instead of charging $300 for AirPlay, BMW is thinking about an annual subscription of $80 (first year free). 

 

(sarcasm to follow)  Next up, subscriptions to use anti-lock brakes and seat belts.  Using the AC requires a cruise control subscription.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1. it's optional. no one needs it

2. car manufs do this all the time. there's Sirius XM subs, OnStar subs, subs for GPS map updates, subs for roadside assistance programs. the list goes on.

 

i do like your sarcasm - next we'll have anti-net-neutrality in the car business... $10/mo for seat belts, $10/mo for AC, no access to the fast lane. /s

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Jason S. said:

1. it's optional. no one needs it

2. car manufs do this all the time. there's Sirius XM subs, OnStar subs, subs for GPS map updates, subs for roadside assistance programs. the list goes on.

 

i do like your sarcasm - next we'll have anti-net-neutrality in the car business... $10/mo for seat belts, $10/mo for AC, no access to the fast lane. /s

Correct me if I'm wrong (I do not have an iPhone or AirPlay) ... but comparing AirPlay to Sirius/OnStar/etc. is different because you're paying those companies for content (music, helpful services, etc).  AirPlay basically pulls data from your iPhone (or whatever) ... not necessarily from Apple?  Apple doesn't require a subscription to AirPlay?

 

Wouldn't the better(ish) analogy be if FM radio required a subscription? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Jim K said:

Correct me if I'm wrong (I do not have an iPhone or AirPlay) ... but comparing AirPlay to Sirius/OnStar/etc. is different because you're paying those companies for content (music, helpful services, etc).  AirPlay basically pulls data from your iPhone (or whatever) ... not necessarily from Apple?  Apple doesn't require a subscription to AirPlay?

 

Wouldn't the better(ish) analogy be if FM radio required a subscription? 

i just looked up CarPlay - horrible name, btw. youre right - it's just pulling data from your iPhone and displaying it on the screen in the car. imo, that shouldnt require a subscription.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am guessing that BMW has to pay a fee to enable airplay.  They (probably) offer their own services/app to integrate into their cars (like toyota intune) and don't want to pay the apple fee.  If users want it, they can have it by paying the fee that BMW would have to pay for the service, but they do offer a free option if you so choose to use it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lexus Enform already has a paywall on your remote start, the moment you stop paying them their fee, they block the app and your ability to trigger the remote start from the key fob which is shady at best.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, TechJunkie81 said:

My heart bleeds for the poor BMW owners.  Said nobody.

If this proves to work with BMW, how long before other car manufacturers start doing something similar. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Thayios said:

Lexus Enform already has a paywall on your remote start, the moment you stop paying them their fee, they block the app and your ability to trigger the remote start from the key fob which is shady at best.

I've never heard of this so I had a quick look and I think you're a be being a little unfair. The remote unlock is just part of what they offer, all of these services need infrastructure that Lexus are paying to maintain. 

 

If they blocked your key fob from working, that would be a different story. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 18/01/2018 at 1:22 PM, Jim K said:

America's most-wanted new car feature

Really?  I am an apple enthusiast and I find it absolutely useless.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Nefarious Trigger said:

Really?  I am an apple enthusiast and I find it absolutely useless.

Really? Granted I've never used CarPlay, but Android Auto so much better than the usual gumpf that car manufactures load onto their media/navigation systems.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Nefarious Trigger said:

Really?  I am an apple enthusiast and I find it absolutely useless.

I didn't say that. :p

Link to comment
Share on other sites

glad my car has built in navigation that doesn't need to load maps off cellular networks but auto updates them when it can using its built in LTE connection... and reads speed data from the car, turn data etc... so when you can't get a GPS signal (I've had this happen on long trips before) it still knows where you are...

 

and ontop of that it also has android auto and apple car play if I want to use them... for umm FREE...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

Really? Granted I've never used CarPlay, but Android Auto so much better than the usual gumpf that car manufactures load onto their media/navigation systems.

Really.  I find it significantly more pleasant and usable to stay with the stock UI than the poorly conceived Apple overlay.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Nefarious Trigger said:

Really.  I find it significantly more pleasant and usable to stay with the stock UI than the poorly conceived Apple overlay.

Fair enough, let's hope Apple fix it!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, dipsylalapo said:

Fair enough, let's hope Apple fix it!

In their defence they are towing a fine line between a useful system and enforced safety.  But having used Android Auto I much prefer that.  But my stock UI is still my favourite.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/18/2018 at 7:22 AM, Jim K said:

 

Full article at TheDrive

 

tl:dr ... Instead of charging $300 for AirPlay, BMW is thinking about an annual subscription of $80 (first year free). 

 

(sarcasm to follow)  Next up, subscriptions to use anti-lock brakes and seat belts.  Using the AC requires a cruise control subscription.

I think it's just a speculation at this point but if they do that I am switching to Audi... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Nefarious Trigger said:

In their defence they are towing a fine line between a useful system and enforced safety.  But having used Android Auto I much prefer that.  But my stock UI is still my favourite.

Very true. To be honest, again with both, if you're happy driving your phone with your voice, that works just as well. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Evil Overlord said:

One of the reasons I hate modern, unremovable car stereos.

 

I wouldn’t say they are unremovable. I would say that they may require a little more effort. 

 

A saw, sledge hammer, vice grips, drill, and maybe a plasma cutter can make light work of the most unremovable things. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, sc302 said:

I wouldn’t say they are unremovable. I would say that they may require a little more effort. 

 

A saw, sledge hammer, vice grips, drill, and maybe a plasma cutter can make light work of the most unremovable things. 

That's kind of what I mean, most cars now, you need to remove the dash just to access the stereo, and if any vehicle controls are routed through the stereo, (heating, parking sensors, or light controls like the ones in BMW models) you're S.O.L. if you're one of the ones who prefer your aftermarket stereo over the factory unit...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Interesting. 

BMW, a top tier manufacturer is now wanting to charge for subscription service of something that comes free in some vehicles? I have a friend with a new car who can link it up no problem with no issues and she never paid a dime. It was part of her trim level.

Secondly, they know that the majority of those who can afford a BMW will cough up the money... but usually those people live somewhat frugal, from what I have seen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...

Update:

Quote

BMW Now Charges $80 a Year for Apple CarPlay

 

BMW will turn Apple CarPlay into a subscription service beginning with its 2019-model-year vehicles. 

 

The German automaker currently charges a one-time $300 to add Apple CarPlay capability to navigation-equipped BMW models. Going forward, though, navigation-equipped BMWs will come with CarPlay at no charge for one year. Following that first year, customers will need to pay an annual fee of $80 to maintain the relationship between their Apple device and their BMW’s infotainment system.

 

//

 

Regardless, BMW’s decision to charge a yearly fee for CarPlay is contrary to industry norms, as all other automakers include the service as a standard or optional feature that spans the life of the vehicle, similar to a sunroof or AM/FM radio. We’ll see if other manufacturers follow BMW’s lead in the future or whether the market will force the automaker to fall back into line and provide it at no extra cost.

 

UPDATE 7/23/19: BMW's ConnectedDrive website is advertising fees of $80 for 12 months of Apple CarPlay service or a 240-month (that's 20 years) membership for $300. 

Car & Driver

 

Sooo...I guess basically no change from what they previously did (one-time $300 vs. $300 for 20 years).  Just odd.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share