So Windows 10 Pro activated without any key.. WTF ?

Just build a new PC for my office and installed Windows 10 Pro without any key. Then I went to enter our key to activate but strangely the Settings app said that "Windows is activated with a digital license".

Quickly fired up a new VM with Windows 10 Pro and even that activated without any key. WTF ? Some reports are pouring about possible bugged activation servers... or is this Microsoft's new strategy to reach 1 billion installations?

From a command prompt, run the following:  slmgr.vbs /dli

This will give you information about the key being used

Are these new parts from Scratch or from an old PC?

We've had some PC builds in our office that Microsoft recognised were from a valid install of Windows 7, and actually upgraded them automatically!

More info here https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/12440/windows-10-activation

Of course if you bought the parts new and installed them yourself, then no idea and just count yourself lucky! 

Yup. Totally new parts. But what about VM which got activated? Can someone test it in a new VM and report here? According to MDL forums, so many people are reporting the same thing. Pro and Home editions are getting activated with Hardware ID on fresh installs without inputting any key for new machines.

14 hours ago, d5aqoëp said:

Yup. Totally new parts. But what about VM which got activated? Can someone test it in a new VM and report here? According to MDL forums, so many people are reporting the same thing. Pro and Home editions are getting activated with Hardware ID on fresh installs without inputting any key for new machines.

if this is true, then Ms have scored a massive own goal......wouldnt surprise me.

15 hours ago, d5aqoëp said:

So, you got the pirated corporate edition?

LOL

Did you sign in using a Microsoft account that had a Windows installation associated with it?

I've had this happen previously and it basically took an installation associated with my Microsoft account and activated it using that, that's the digital license that you're referring to. 

I thought i'd test this out, I've just installed Windows 10 Pro on a Hyper-V VM without a key.

Windows 10 is also the host OS (activated with purchased key), the VM didn't activate however:

hyper-v.thumb.jpg.0067e66b7685175d9c27f0a95aa2f766.jpg

2 hours ago, dipsylalapo said:

Did you sign in using a Microsoft account that had a Windows installation associated with it?

I've had this happen previously and it basically took an installation associated with my Microsoft account and activated it using that, that's the digital license that you're referring to. 

Not signed into any MS account. Apparently according to folks at MDL, MS activation server had a glitch and it was activating any and every PC requesting for it. 

Now the glitch has been fixed and Window has been closed.

• Like 2