• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

    Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

  • 0

McAfee "Lifesave" failed to save my computer!

Question

Howard Davis    15

DO NOT DEPEND ON McAfee ANTIVIRUS!

Despite having up-to-date McAfee "Life Save" on my computer, it was infected by the Koobface spyware worm. McAfee DID NOT PROTECT ME from this malware, which probably was acquired from a website. Subsequent to getting this malware information was hacked from my computer from three different locations. Fixing this was done through Dell at a cost to me of $100 plus several days of aggravation and inconvenience. I cancelled my automatic renewal of McAfee and will be researching and shopping for better protection in the future. If you have McAfee, DON'T TRUST IT!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recommended Posts

  • 0
Andrew    2,855
17 hours ago, GTR707 said:

https://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-windows-detected-koobface-virus-popups/

 

In the future you do not need to spend $100 or any money on removing malware. Keep in mind that every pc comes with a hidden recovery partition. This will bring your computer back to square one.  Koobface ahs been around for years and every av has detections for it including McAfee. Sure you did not call a fake Dell support? 

 

https://home.mcafee.com/virusinfo/virusprofile.aspx?key=152845

 

How about reading the topic?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
GTR707    177
16 hours ago, warwagon said:

You really need to work on your online etiquette, you never come across as a very nice person.

And your point is? When people are wrong they are wrong. 

49 minutes ago, Andrew said:

How about reading the topic?

What I said is completely and totally related. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Andrew    2,855
2 minutes ago, GTR707 said:

What I said is completely and totally related. 

No. No it isn't, and it's clear you haven't read the topic and still haven't read it even after I called you on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
GTR707    177
3 minutes ago, Andrew said:

No. No it isn't, and it's clear you haven't read the topic and still haven't read it even after I called you on it.

What does the topic say...........it clearly says "McAfee failed to save my computer". The OE poster told us he spent $100. I also informed him that he has a hidden recovery partition to mount. Did anyone else say that? No. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Andrew    2,855
1 minute ago, GTR707 said:

What does the topic say...........it clearly says "McAfee failed to save my computer". The OE poster told us he spent $100. I also informed him that he has a hidden recovery partition to mount. Did anyone else say that? No. 

How many times do I need to tell you he wasn't infected with malware? He was scammed.

 

He doesn't need a recovery partition. He doesn't need a new AV.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
GTR707    177
24 minutes ago, Andrew said:

How many times do I need to tell you he wasn't infected with malware? He was scammed.

 

He doesn't need a recovery partition. He doesn't need a new AV.

He was not scammed. He failed to use common sense. 99% of all newer pc's come with a recovery partiton. So instead of making an 8 page post and spending any money he could have simply done that. Duh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Human.Online    7,458
15 minutes ago, GTR707 said:

He was not scammed. He failed to use common sense. 99% of all newer pc's come with a recovery partiton. So instead of making an 8 page post and spending any money he could have simply done that. Duh

Oh do bloody shut up! 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
+warwagon    11,366
1 hour ago, GTR707 said:

And your point is? When people are wrong they are wrong. 

 

The point is you can choose words which can improve someone's perception of you. Take the word "Clueless" ...that's insulting, pick a different word.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
GTR707    177
25 minutes ago, warwagon said:

The point is you can choose words which can improve someone's perception of you. Take the word "Clueless" ...that's insulting, pick a different word.

Ok then how about "brainless". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
+warwagon    11,366
36 minutes ago, GTR707 said:

Ok then how about "brainless". 

How about "These real-world test results from November 2017 shows Eset had less than desirable detection rates"

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Steven P.    10,372
33 minutes ago, GTR707 said:

Ok then how about "brainless". 

Pretend every customer is king/right/paying your wages and comment accordingly :)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
+warwagon    11,366
1 minute ago, Steven P. said:

Pretend every customer is king/right/paying your wages and comment accordingly :)

Or "Pretend the person you are talking to has been waiting years to comment on a forum and this is their very first experience."

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
techbeck    6,183
19 hours ago, warwagon said:

You really need to work on your online etiquette, you never come across as a very nice person.

(Y)      Some people need to learn how to talk to others and check their egos at the door.   Hopefully the OP got their issue resolved. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
PsYcHoKiLLa    2,028
Posted (edited)

Clearly Bullguard are paying for these results.

FAKE VIEWS!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
PsYcHoKiLLa    2,028
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, GTR707 said:

And your point is? When people are wrong they are wrong. 

What I said is completely and totally related. 

When scientists prove something or show evidence, they don't shout "Ha! Get rekt nub!", there's a difference in presentation and attitude. You did know Steve owns this site...right?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
techbeck    6,183
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, GTR707 said:

He was not scammed. He failed to use common sense. 99% of all newer pc's come with a recovery partiton. So instead of making an 8 page post and spending any money he could have simply done that. Duh

 

A post was made for help. Not rude egotistical comments.

People with rude comments, do not help resolve issues.  They create issue or make things worse.  Same with big egos.

No no one knows everything, period.

Insults are against forum rules and really just not something that should be done when someone asks for help.

It is obvious the OP is not familiar with how to resolve his issue.  So common sense does not apply here.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
GTR707    177
1 hour ago, warwagon said:

How about "These real-world test results from November 2017 shows Eset had less than desirable detection rates"

That cause Eset sucks. Complain to AV Comparatives and AVTest.org. I don't make the tests. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
GTR707    177
23 minutes ago, techbeck said:

 

A post was made for help. Not rude egotistical comments.

People with rude comments, do not help resolve issues.  They create issue or make things worse.  Same with big egos.

No no one knows everything, period.

Insults are against forum rules and really just not something that should be done when someone asks for help.

It is obvious the OP is not familiar with how to resolve his issue.  So common sense does not apply here.

 

 

It's called tough love. The OE poster made a post blaming McAfee. When in actuality he only has himself to blame, It's easier to blame someone else rather then taking on the responsibility yourself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
+warwagon    11,366
9 minutes ago, GTR707 said:

That cause Eset sucks. Complain to AV Comparatives and AVTest.org. I don't make the tests. 

What does that have to do with insulting the person you are having a discussion with?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
GTR707    177
Just now, warwagon said:

What does that have to do with insulting the person you are having a discussion with?

What does blaming me for AV Comparatives results have to do with the prices of oranges in Florida? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
techbeck    6,183
12 minutes ago, warwagon said:

What does that have to do with insulting the person you are having a discussion with?

Don't feed him anymore.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Brandon H    1,890

thread locked

 

I'm locking this thread as it has run its course. Howard understands that he was a victim of a scam and it wont happen again. He is now working with Mando to make sure his computer is secure going forward. All is well :)

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.