Nest failed to connect to Heat Link (seriously, FU Nest!)

So having a semi-smart home isn't as all cracked up as I was led to believe. I spend half my time reconnecting the damn thermostat to the Heat Link, despite the fact it is connected via wire, and wirelessly. Plus the heating of my home is so random, I kind of wish I still had the old fashioned one that I could set as per the outside/inside temp of the day.

Sometimes when I go to bed after 11pm I find that the heating is still on full blast, I mean who the eff does that?  I was told by the electrician who put it in not to enter a schedule because it would mess up the "learning" part of the thermostat, but I beg to differ and may just add a schedule since I work from home, so there isn't a whole lot of difference to my daily routine.

Right now it is 2C outside, and I am freezing my nuts off working at my desk, only to find the heating had switched off because it lost the Heat Link connection, rechecking connects it immediately, so why can't this "smart" thermostat do that on its own?? 

Who needs this crap, I mean who? :/ 

Huh that is annoying. We have a Tado system at home which came free from our energy supplier when we had a new boiler installed, and surprisingly it's fairly good at doing what it says on the tin. 

I don't think it has the same learning that the Nest has, but does take into account the weather and the time it took to previously heat the house. One annoyance that I do have with it, that doesn't seem to have been solved is that when I've been out during the day and come home at 9:30 for example, it'll turn the heating on only to switch off at 10 when it's scheduled to switch off. It's needs to be a little smarter in that sense. 

Have you tried the age old computer trick and just reset the thing? 

yeah I need to get the electrician in again anyway to pull some LAN and I will get him to check the wired connection. I even had to tell him about a €50 opentherm converter for my (at the time, brand new) NeFit boiler (because Nest does not "speak" to it without the opentherm convertor) which added some days on it getting installed, because he didn't believe it was required, I of course like an idiot read up about it all, so was somewhat informed.

Sorry to hear your having problems.. All have to say about nest is good things.  When I connected mine it was working fine, but then the season changed and the air would run 5 minutes and shut off then back on, etc. Called Nest they walked me through troubleshooting the problem.. By moving a few wires, etc.  They really were fantastic support on the phone.  Had to do with no common wire etc.

Here is the GREAT thing, they paid for the electrician to put it in.. Up to $600, it was only a couple of hundred - lucky there was a wire there just not connected on the AC/Furnace side and he just had to strip back the wired that was run already where the thermostat was.. So was an easy job for him..

But sent in the receipt to nest, week or so later had a check...  And before anyone says BS ;)  Here is copy of the email after they got my receipt that they were sending me check..  It didn't take anywhere near 4 weeks... If I recall it was less than 2.. 

emailnest.thumb.png.2ecec0269a160878cda84fa4b3e6330d.png

If your having problems I really would suggest you call them - and if need be they can hook you up with a Electrician in your area that is Nest Approved and trained, etc..

Good luck.. Sorry to hear your having issues with it - I love mine... And I let it learn and works great..  But sure if work from home setting the schedule works too - feature like the most is the away feature.  So that it turns off heating or cooling and lets temp go to economy preset min/max while nobody home..  Now the trick is to turn it back on remotely as you head home - or its going to be cold/hot when you get back ;)  From where you were for hours, etc.

I stripped out privacy info and the Persons direct name and number I was dealing with ..

• Like 2

Sometimes our cat runs into the door that has a kill switch on the bottom of our heater, which is in basement.  On the Nest it says that wire is disconnected, but took us a few minutes to track down.  Other than that, I have had the Nest at two different houses.  Love it!  I saw there is a newer/cheaper version, and haven't used it.