Question

20 answers to this question

1 minute ago, Bruinator said:

When i click on that, it says downloading at first but then it says launch which seems to be web based to me. I might be wrong but i do not see any shortcut of it on my desktop not in program files unless i am missing something. Any ideas? thx Nick.

Weird. I just clicked the link and it downloaded Skype-8.15.0.4.exe. Although I'm on Windows 7 at the office at the second, I can try when I get home later tonight. But I'm almost certain my Skype there is the desktop variant rather than from the Store unless they merged the two together and I missed the notification.

2 minutes ago, Bruinator said:

I tried that as well and it

Does that have a pop up saying this   https://imgur.com/a/ZLMxL

Coz mine does.

Again, I don't know at the moment as I am not at home. But I will check later on this evening and let you know. (Y)

EDIT: Could it be saying that because the Store is open on your taskbar?

Sounds like it could be Windows 10 related. I don't have that pop up when installing on a Windows 7 machine. 

Any particular reason you don't want to install from the Store?

3 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

Again, I don't know at the moment as I am not at home. But I will check later on this evening and let you know. (Y)

EDIT: Could it be saying that because the Store is open on your taskbar?

ok Nick thx. No store open in taskbar.

2 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

Sounds like it could be Windows 10 related. I don't have that pop up when installing on a Windows 7 machine. 

coz it loads as web based version of skype and i dont want that. I will try d/l on another pc to see if that works.  thx

54 minutes ago, Bruinator said:

I tried that as well and it

Does that have a pop up saying this   https://imgur.com/a/ZLMxL

Coz mine does.

Maybe you are on a company with policies to disable win32 binaries download?

53 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

Nope, not windows 10 related.

https://i.imgur.com/MZrWF3I.png

It is blocked from running on Windows 10 to encourage you to move to the UWP version, but you can install it and it runs fine:

Right Click the Executable (Skype-8.15.0.4.exe) > Properties > Compatibility Tab

Check the Compatibility Mode box > Run this program in compatibility mode for > Windows 7

10 minutes ago, Spark99 said:

It is blocked from running on Windows 10 to encourage you to move to the UWP version, but you can install it and it runs fine:

Right Click the Executable (Skype-8.15.0.4.exe) > Properties > Compatibility Tab

Check the Compatibility Mode box > Run this program in compatibility mode for > Windows 7

This is correct. I remember reading an article about this a couple months back

15 minutes ago, Spark99 said:

yes.... that worked. Thx for this.

On 15/02/2018 at 00:34, goretsky said:

Hello,

The direct download link I got was https://endpoint920510.azureedge.net/s4l/s4l/download/win/Skype-8.15.0.4.exe.

AzureEdge is Microsoft's content delivery network

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

And that replaced Akamai (which is still used by companies that don't use either AzureEdge or AWS).