Cooking in crock pot (slow cooker)

I know there was a thread awhile ago about sharing recipes, but I am interested in starting one about cooking in the slow cooker. I find that the food tastes so much different when cooked in the slow cooker and it is so effective!

I'll start by sharing what I made yesterday.

Chicken and Sausage Gumbo:

1 bag skinless, boneless chicken breasts

1 package of sausages (any flavor will work)

1 Jar  (32 oz) of Salsa (I used medium, but you can use any type you like)

1/4 cup lemon juice, or juice from 2 fresh lemons

2 Limes cut into quarters

2 cups of rice, any type

1-2 cups water

1 pkg of hamburger buns

Start by placing the chicken in the crock pot, season the chicken with your choice of seasonings.

Add approximately 1/2 the jar of salsa on top of the chicken.

Add the sausages whole (or cut, again your choice) , add the lemon juice, squeeze the limes into the sauce mix, and toss them into the pot for extra flavor.

Add the rice into the salsa mix, stir it in making sure that is it fully incorporated into the sauce.

If the chicken and sausage are not completely covered you can either add the rest of salsa or add water, just until the meats are covered.

Cover the crock pot, cook on low for 6-8 hours or High for about 4 hours until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 180F/82C, if you don't have a meat thermometer, a good method for telling if it's done is if the chicken breasts are falling apart when you stir them.

Enjoy!

BBQ Pulled Pork

1 Pork shoulder or tenderloin

1 jar of barbecue sauce

1 16 oz can of beer

1/4 cup of lemon juice

1 16 oz bag of shredded cheese

Place the pork into the crock pot.

Add the barbecue sauce and the beer on top of the pork

Add the lemon juice

Cover and cook until the pork reaches an internal temperature of 150F/65C

Using two forks shred the pork and mix it into the sauce.

Add the cheese and serve on the buns

Enjoy!

• Like 2

We cooked a "chilli" in the slow cooker today.  Ingredients:

2x jars chilli cooking sauce

New Potatoes - sliced

Carrots

Onions

Green Beans

Sweetcorn

3x Chillis

Method:

Place all ingredients into slow cooker and cook until it gets to a temperature of "###### me that's hot".  We are having some spare ribs with this that we are cooking separately.  

Previously we have cooked joints of pork and beef - both turn out extremely tender, just falls apart.  Chicken as well just falls off the bone when done this way.  We also have done stews/casseroles, although we rarely follow any actual recipe.

Next time I am going to try some spare ribs in whatever we cook to see how they turn out.

I do have a couple of recipe books for slow cookers that I should dig out to try some new stuff.

Edited by metallithrax
  • Like 2

We actually have some garlic and coriander naan bread that just might get eaten along with this.

3 minutes ago, metallithrax said:

We actually have some garlic and coriander naan bread that just might get eaten along with this.

Never had that, sounds good though. Do you make your chili spicy? I love a bowl of hot and spicy chili!

Yeah, this one is a jar of hot and a jar of mild sauce, but we put in 1 green chilli and 2 red chillis so it has a reasonable kick.  If I wanted more kick, I have some dried ghost peppers in the cupboard.

• 1 month later...
21 minutes ago, Jombi said:

@jnelsoninjax Next time you cook that, could you post some pics?  Sounds really good!

For sure! I'm hungry for it again!

• 1 year later...

We do slow cooked lamb shanks in ours. Chop some carrots and leeks into big wedges, put the minted lamb shanks in and cover with water. Check a basil leaf on the top for a little extra flavour. Cook for 8-10hrs on low, and serve with mashed potato (preferably Maris Piper or King Edwards)

9 hours ago, spikey_richie said:

We do slow cooked lamb shanks in ours. Chop some carrots and leeks into big wedges, put the minted lamb shanks in and cover with water. Check a basil leaf on the top for a little extra flavour. Cook for 8-10hrs on low, and serve with mashed potato (preferably Maris Piper or King Edwards)

yum, never had lamb before but that does sound tasty :drool:

11 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

yum, never had lamb before but that does sound tasty :drool:

Wrap spare rib rack(s) in aluminum foil (creating a sealed packet) and slow cook at 120C in the oven for 6 hours, you can do the last 7-12mins on high (grill setting) unwrapped and exposed in the oven to caramelize any sauces you slow cooked them with (or add at that point). You will see the meat drop off the bone :D :drool:

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

Wrap spare rib rack(s) in aluminum foil (creating a sealed packet) and slow cook at 120C in the oven for 6 hours, you can do the last 7-12mins on high (grill setting) unwrapped and exposed in the oven to caramelize any sauces you slow cooked them with (or add at that point). You will see the meat drop off the bone :D :drool:

I like using cola for a ribs marinate or in the slow cooker.  Since that stuff dissolves teeth, it also does wonders on muscle fibers. 😎

56 minutes ago, Astra.Xtreme said:

I like using cola for a ribs marinate or in the slow cooker.  Since that stuff dissolves teeth, it also does wonders on muscle fibers. 😎

I have yet to try this, but I think I will go with Dr Pepper :D

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Steven P. said:

250°F for our 'merican friends. And replace grill with broil.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
1 hour ago, haasya5 said:

Thanks for your recipes I tried Chicken and Sausage Gumbo at home with the ingredients what you said, it came awesome, my husband like it very much.  

That's really good to hear, thanks for telling us!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I make the best crock stroganoff and, thus, dub hamber helper's crappy verision WEAKanoff

8 hours ago, remixedcat said:

I make the best crock stroganoff and, thus, dub hamber helper's crappy verision WEAKanoff

Care to share your recipe?

2 hours ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Care to share your recipe?

Will have to make it when it cools down. It's so perfect for fall and then I'll post it :)