How to change my IP Address

Hello!

Try this:

• Click Start->Run, type "cmd", press Enter;
  • Type "ipconfig /release", press Enter;
  • Type "ipconfig /renew", press Enter, see if the DHCP server assigns a new IP address for your computer.

7 hours ago, Mirumir said:

Hello!

Try this:

• Click Start->Run, type "cmd", press Enter;
  • Type "ipconfig /release", press Enter;
  • Type "ipconfig /renew", press Enter, see if the DHCP server assigns a new IP address for your computer.

He is looking to get a geo located IP to get around restrictions, which is why he is looking to get a "British" IP.  

3 minutes ago, sc302 said:

He is looking to get a geo located IP to get around restrictions, which is why he is looking to get a "British" IP.  

Yep. My bad.

I thought he was already hooked up to a British ISP when I replied to his post shortly after waking up this morning :D 

27 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

Yep. My bad.

I thought he was already hooked up to a British ISP when I replied to his post shortly after waking up this morning :D 

Be sure you drink coffee before you get on here in the morning. :laugh:

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Be sure you drink coffee before you get on here in the morning. :laugh:

He is in Russia, so change it to Vodka! :D

2 hours ago, sc302 said:

to get around restrictions

Then why are we even offering to help at all?  Circumvention is circumvention is not.. How is wanting to watch the BBC iplayer different than asking how to download xyz for free or circumventing the work firewall so can surf p0rn or hack the firewall on the fbi servers?

If he would of asked how just change his IP - ok, but the way asked screams circumvention which should just be left hanging and or just outright closed..

That's my 2cents..

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, BudMan said:

Then why are we even offering to help at all?  Circumvention is circumvention is not.. How is wanting to watch the BBC iplayer different than asking how to download xyz for free or circumventing the work firewall so can surf p0rn or hack the firewall on the fbi servers?

If he would of asked how just change his IP - ok, but the way asked screams circumvention which should just be left hanging and or just outright closed..

That's my 2cents..

So far, the fella only asked for a British IP, he didn't ask for detailed help with circumventing BBC iPlayer :p

PIA VPN offers a few British IPs, but it costs money, the free ones are almost always very poor service and they will just frustrate you and make you sick :x 

Below are the choices PIA VPN offers me:

SNAG-0018.png

Good Luck!

What reason is there to use a different country exit with these vpn's other than circumvention??  Let me think - oh yeah nothing...

Don't say your hiding your IP and its better hidden if you move your countries around - ROLLEYES..

Oh I got a good reason - your vpn connection is too fast, and you want all your traffic to be slower than it is - so lets move your exit point to the other side of the globe to the website you want to visit is.. ;)

Others can help all they want - To me he might as well be asking how to download movie xyz from the torrent site.. If he wants a British IP, then he should move to Britain ;)

2 hours ago, jnelsoninjax said:

He is in Russia, so change it to Vodka! :D

Exaaactly!

And then I was supposed to feed my bear and add some coolant to my nuclear reactor :rofl:

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

Exaaactly!

And then I was supposed to feed my bear and add some coolant to my nuclear reactor :rofl:

I felt that the last two went without saying! :rofl:

7 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

He maybe wants to see UK Netflix..

Then he needs to live or reside in a UK so he gets a UK IP... Using a VPN to have his exit IP be UK so he can watch UK netflix is circumvention of Netflix policy - if it wasn't they wouldn't block non UK IPs..

Can we talk about how to circumvent Neowin IP filtering?  More than happy to write up a whole guide on how to do that - if that sort of thing is ok..  ;) Or maybe if we say its only to be used to get around competing forum policy to spam... Would it be ok then?  ;) 

Its funny how some people are ok with X but doing the same thing and just calling it Y is fine.. My isp blocks 25 so I can not send email - oh well your out of luck prob just sending spam.   I am stuck in china and my gov blocks 25 so I can not send email... Well oh here you go here is how you get around that. Thanks now I can send spam again ;)

Clearly he is circumventing something or he wouldn't have called out the country he needs his IP to be in, etc.  So we are ok to discuss if he just wants to watch uk netflix, but it would be wrong if XYZ?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BudMan said:

Then he needs to live or reside in a UK so he gets a UK IP... Using a VPN to have his exit IP be UK so he can watch UK netflix is circumvention of Netflix policy - if it wasn't they wouldn't block non UK IPs..

Can we talk about how to circumvent Neowin IP filtering?  More than happy to write up a whole guide on how to do that - if that sort of thing is ok..  ;) Or maybe if we say its only to be used to get around competing forum policy to spam... Would it be ok then?  ;) 

Its funny how some people are ok with X but doing the same thing and just calling it Y is fine.. My isp blocks 25 so I can not send email - oh well your out of luck prob just sending spam.   I am stuck in china and my gov blocks 25 so I can not send email... Well oh here you go here is how you get around that. Thanks now I can send spam again ;)

Clearly he is circumventing something or he wouldn't have called out the country he needs his IP to be in, etc.  So we are ok to discuss if he just wants to watch uk netflix, but it would be wrong if XYZ?

There's always a way to do anything, BudMan, rather illegal or not.

23 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

There's always a way to do anything, BudMan, rather illegal or not.

Exactly. I had a similar situation recently. I enjoy watching Supergirl. Problem is, CBS/CW geo-restrict who can view it using their online portal, and here in the UK my only legal way of watching it is through Sky on Sky 1. I hate Sky and anything to do with Murdoch and his evil vulture scum empire, so that was a no-no.

My only other option was to use a VPN with a US IP. Either that or go the illegal way and torrent it, which takes money away from them being able to continue the show. So, I used the VPN route and gave them subscription money :)

@BudMan Unless you lived in country that restricts a lot of legal things, I really see how you can be anti-VPN. In a country like Egypt, a lot of sites are blocked based on political reasons under a dictatorship, Medium.com IS blocked for god sake because the so-called president is not happy about some blogs!

Think of out-of-country VPNs as you like, but it will not change the fact that it is useful and it is legal when used for legal things, just as your PC or any other piece of technology, it can be whatever you make it to be.

I am not antivpn - what I am anti is a policy that states no circumvention, but then turns a blind eye on circumvention topics..  Sorry but you do not need to have an IP in a specific country to get access to world news that your government is trying to suppress from you seeing ;)

Its not my board, all I can do is abide but the rules - but its a moving target.  Oh they are talking circumvention of company XYZ policy that is fine - oh but talking circumvention of DRM is not allowed.

This sort of topic comes up now and then..  I spout my 2 cents on the subject and move on.. There are plenty of places to discuss circumvention of anything, neowin doesn't want to be that place which I am fine with.  But clear violations of the rules as stated just rub me the wrong way so I chime in and move on.. That is what I was doing chiming in with my 2 cents..

If it was my board, per the rules such a thread by some 1 post wonder would just be deleted.. Easier that way.. No opinions get brought up - everyone happy.

I am not a fan of geo restrictions, I personally don't the whole point to them especially since the geoip database is a horrible!!!  And can be a pain in the ass to correct.  Shoot freaking maxmind thinks part of our /16 at work is in Malaysia.. I have put in multiple times for them to fix it, etc.. I have no problem with billy wanting to watch iplayer on the bbc or us netflix or uk netflix, etc.  The issue I have it asking how to circumvent, which is stated in the rules is not allowed.

6 hours ago, BudMan said:

I am not antivpn - what I am anti is a policy that states no circumvention, but then turns a blind eye on circumvention topics..  Sorry but you do not need to have an IP in a specific country to get access to world news that your government is trying to suppress from you seeing ;)

Its not my board, all I can do is abide but the rules - but its a moving target.  Oh they are talking circumvention of company XYZ policy that is fine - oh but talking circumvention of DRM is not allowed.

This sort of topic comes up now and then..  I spout my 2 cents on the subject and move on.. There are plenty of places to discuss circumvention of anything, neowin doesn't want to be that place which I am fine with.  But clear violations of the rules as stated just rub me the wrong way so I chime in and move on.. That is what I was doing chiming in with my 2 cents..

If it was my board, per the rules such a thread by some 1 post wonder would just be deleted.. Easier that way.. No opinions get brought up - everyone happy.

I am not a fan of geo restrictions, I personally don't the whole point to them especially since the geoip database is a horrible!!!  And can be a pain in the ass to correct.  Shoot freaking maxmind thinks part of our /16 at work is in Malaysia.. I have put in multiple times for them to fix it, etc.. I have no problem with billy wanting to watch iplayer on the bbc or us netflix or uk netflix, etc.  The issue I have it asking how to circumvent, which is stated in the rules is not allowed.

I see your point, but the guy never told us why he wanted a British IP and all we're doing is speculating after the fact. :) 

Steve uses a VPN regularly to check that adverts are working properly for visitors from different countries.

At my day job (online retailer) we use VPNs with endpoints in different countries to ensure that the geo-location features on our store correctly locates and suggests a localised store to our customers.

Just a couple of legitimate reasons why a user might need an IP in a different country

• Like 2

Valid reasons - yeah maybe that is what this one post wonder is after wink wink ;)

He wants to check that users from Britian are seeing his tech board fine, yet doesn't have a clue what a vpn is even is it seems.

I just need that drm free version of that game for a backup, same reason I need to download movie X - its easier than ripping it from the bluray I have of it, etc. etc..

• Like 3