KFC chicken shortage closes outlets [Update] Second week / no GRAVY!

4 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

I'll see you and I'll raise you again!

The Grill Gourmet Collection.

gg.thumb.jpg.eb40792fef3dc24fcc97ef757609d1c7.jpg

McDs in the US has "signature crafted" burgers as well.  Tho, if I am looking for a good burger locally where I am at, I will go to Cuvlers for fast food and Wendys for a chicken sandwich.

https://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en-us/whats-hot/signature-crafted.html

3 minutes ago, techbeck said:

McDs in the US has "signature crafted" burgers as well.  Tho, if I am looking for a good burger locally where I am at, I will go to Cuvlers for fast food and Wendys for a chicken sandwich.

https://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en-us/whats-hot/signature-crafted.html

I was just having fun.

You can't polish a turd and I don't eat "burgers" made of pink slime.

5 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

You can't polish a turd and I don't eat "burgers" made of pink slime.

Pink slime has been largely discredited over the years.  Some saying it never was so, some saying it was practice ended years ago.  McDs also released a vid showing how their food is made.  Still not the best or healthy food for that matter so I don't eat it often.

Just now, techbeck said:

Pink slime was a hoax/fake.   It has been largely discredited over the years.

No, it's not.

You should stop by a local supermarket or farmer's market to familiarize yourself with the real cost of beef. 

There's 100% beef in a McDonald's sandwich, but it's made of eyes, brains, balls, and other internals and by-products. Such is the economic reality. Beef producers sell real meat at premium prices. McDonalds buys leftovers.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

No, it's not.

You should stop by a local supermarket or farmer's market to familiarize yourself with the real cost of beef. 

There's 100% beef in a McDonald's sandwich, but it's made of eyes, brains, balls, and other internals and by-products. Such is the economic reality. Beef producers sell real meat at premium prices. McDonalds buys leftovers.

I edited my post.  Was something that may have been happening a while ago, but ended years ago.  MD made statements saying the following...

"McDonald's does not use lean beef trimmings treated with ammonia, what some individuals call 'pink slime,' in our burgers, and hasn't since 2011," McDonald's website also stated. "McDonald's USA serves only 100 percent USDA-inspected beef- no preservatives, no fillers, no extenders -- period," the website added.Oct 15, 2014

unless you do your own studies...no way to prove what they are saying so really, a non discussion.

Just now, techbeck said:

I edited my post.  Was something that may have been happening a while ago, but ended years ago.  MD made statements saying the following...

So they've substituted ammonia with sodium, salt, or some other food preservation agent at best, or another nasty chemical at worst.

There's no difference to me. It's still a by-product.

Just now, Mirumir said:

So they've substituted ammonia with sodium, salt, or some other food preservation agent at best, or another nasty chemical at worst.

There's no difference to me. It's still a by-product.

That is not what their statement said.  Unless you can prove their beef is not 100 percent, you are just assuming/guessing here.  Price of goes up and down all the time but I never see any changes in restaurant prices.  In a grocery store, sure.  But restaurants I know use real beef and locally sourced beef, prices have remained the same over the past several years.

26 minutes ago, techbeck said:

That is not what their statement said.  Unless you can prove their beef is not 100 percent, you are just assuming/guessing here.  Price of goes up and down all the time but I never see any changes in restaurant prices.  In a grocery store, sure.  But restaurants I know use real beef and locally sourced beef, prices have remained the same over the past several years.

I completely agree that their beef is 100% beef. 

But it's not made of this:

beef_3.thumb.jpg.653739154f86ed6973c2f10a7bb5d6dc.jpg

Instead, it's made of sub-products, the internals, producers' leftovers, - the cheap stuff - that are minced into grey slime.

Otherwise, they'd be out of business unless they increased their prices.

Common sense, logic, and the economic reality dictate that you cannot sell a 100% beef-beef burger for $2 or $3 and make a profit on it using prime meat.

I am going by MD statement saying there are no fillers or extenders which would include eyeballs. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonald's_urban_legends

And restaurants I know around me who use locally sourced beef and no extra junk, prices have not gone up at all over the years when beef prices fluctuate.  Yes, prices are more expensive with locally source beef, but that is nothing new.

Fresh beef is another story and can be more expensive.  Why a basic burger from Wendys can me more expensive than MDs.   Also, need to look at how thick the meat is.  MDs patty size is pretty damn thin a compared to some other chains who have more expensive food.  Prices are also able to be kept low for other reasons than raising beef costs or contents.

But anywho, that is all I have to say on it really.

59 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

I completely agree that their beef is 100% beef. 

But it's not made of this:

beef_3.thumb.jpg.653739154f86ed6973c2f10a7bb5d6dc.jpg

Instead, it's made of sub-products, the internals, producers' leftovers, - the cheap stuff - that are minced into grey slime.

Otherwise, they'd be out of business unless they increased their prices.

Common sense, logic, and the economic reality dictate that you cannot sell a 100% beef-beef burger for $2 or $3 and make a profit on it using prime meat.

ok, I'll bite... a $1 hamburger at McDonalds isn't even 1/4 lb, it's closer to 1/6 lb... average price of 1 lb of ground beef in the USA is $2.80 (this is an average, not the price everywhere)... so that's about 46 cents per hamburger in beef... that's at a consumer rate not a bulk rate... McDonalds pays about 33 cents per hamburger for beef in bulk... add in a bun, that's another 15 cents per burger, and condiments adds another 5 cents, the product cost to them is 53 cents... overhead add's about 10 cents per burger.. that's still 63 cents for a 99 cent hamburger... they are still profitable with pure ground beef.... btw in the USA you can not sell "eyeballs" and "Brains" as ground beef, it's not allowed especially after the mad cow scare... when you go to a quarter pound burger their profit margins are even higher... $2 for a quarter pounder with cheese (70 cents of beef, 30 cents of cheese, 15 cent bun, 5 cent condiments, and 4 cents of onion, they make about 50 cents per burger in profit after overhead... 

1 minute ago, neufuse said:

ok, I'll bite... a $1 hamburger at McDonalds isn't even 1/4 lb, it's closer to 1/6 lb... average price of 1 lb of ground beef in the USA is $2.80 (this is an average, not the price everywhere)... so that's about 46 cents per hamburger in beef... that's at a consumer rate not a bulk rate... McDonalds pays about 33 cents per hamburger for beef in bulk... add in a bun, that's another 15 cents per burger, and condiments adds another 5 cents, the product cost to them is 53 cents... overhead add's about 10 cents per burger.. that's still 63 cents for a 99 cent hamburger... they are still profitable with pure ground beef.... btw in the USA you can not sell "eyeballs" and "Brains" as ground beef, it's not allowed especially after the mad cow scare...

Good. Now let's add royalty fees, employees' wages, property taxes, revenue taxes, a fire insurance policy. Got the picture?

1 minute ago, Mirumir said:

Good. Now let's add royalty fees, employees' wages, property taxes, revenue taxes, a fire insurance policy. Got the picture?

you don't know what overhead is do you?........ i have that in the equation above... i have seen McDonald franchise books before, there is profit still using real ground beef

2 minutes ago, neufuse said:

you don't know what overhead is do you?........ i have that in the equation above

Does it include utility expense? All at 10 cents? 

Give me a break.

2 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

Does it include utility expense? All at 10 cents? 

Give me a break.

dude, per burger, you know how many they sell per hour on average in a franchise? the numbers work out... they make the most money on soda... 2 cents of product 2 cent cup and 3 cent overhead.. sold at $1

an average performing franchise will make about $2.5 million in net sales a year out of that the food cost is only $800,000... after all expenses taxes, wages, everything they are still making about $250,000 in profit a year

6 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

"they would be lucky to make a nickel"

LOL

Ground beef...sure.

that number isn't right, look at my quote above... I never heard of a franchise spending only 10 cents per patty..they are about 3 to 5 times more expensive (they have 1/6 lb 1/4 lb and 1/3 lab patties not one of those costs 10 cents from McDonalds distribution when a franchise buys product)

13 minutes ago, techbeck said:

Lots of places, mostly ice anyway.  So I imagine they make a good deal on soda.

yeah, even the bottlers make a good bit...

right now pepsi here cost $1 per bottle wholesale (bottler makes about 50 cents per bottle in profit) the stores sell it from $1.50 to $3.50 per bottle usually (yeah there are expensive grocery stores out there... around me walmart is charging $1.58 a 2 liter of pepsi, a competitor here (giant eagle) is charging $2.85 for the same bottle) and a local restaurant (pizza hut) is charging $3 per bottle for the same pepsi

lots of profit in something that costs so little to make

25 minutes ago, neufuse said:

they make the most money on soda

19 minutes ago, techbeck said:

So I imagine they make a good deal on soda.

Which is another way of saying that they make close to nothing on burgers and must minimize their costs by procuring beef sub-products to stay afloat.

Thank you.

37 minutes ago, neufuse said:

ok, I'll bite... a $1 hamburger at McDonalds isn't even 1/4 lb, it's closer to 1/6 lb... average price of 1 lb of ground beef in the USA is $2.80 (this is an average, not the price everywhere)... so that's about 46 cents per hamburger in beef... that's at a consumer rate not a bulk rate... McDonalds pays about 33 cents per hamburger for beef in bulk... add in a bun, that's another 15 cents per burger, and condiments adds another 5 cents, the product cost to them is 53 cents... overhead add's about 10 cents per burger.. that's still 63 cents for a 99 cent hamburger... they are still profitable with pure ground beef.... btw in the USA you can not sell "eyeballs" and "Brains" as ground beef, it's not allowed especially after the mad cow scare... when you go to a quarter pound burger their profit margins are even higher... $2 for a quarter pounder with cheese (70 cents of beef, 30 cents of cheese, 15 cent bun, 5 cent condiments, and 4 cents of onion, they make about 50 cents per burger in profit after overhead... 

(Y)

10 minutes ago, neufuse said:

yeah, even the bottlers make a good bit...

right now pepsi here cost $1 per bottle wholesale (bottler makes about 50 cents per bottle in profit) the stores sell it from $1.50 to $3.50 per bottle usually (yeah there are expensive grocery stores out there... around me walmart is charging $1.58 a 2 liter of pepsi, a competitor here (giant eagle) is charging $2.85 for the same bottle) and a local restaurant (pizza hut) is charging $3 per bottle for the same pepsi

lots of profit in something that costs so little to make

Yea, buying liters from places like Pizza, they will always screw you on price. It is the convenience price so you do not have to go elsewhere to get it.  Why convenient stores on the corner are more expensive than a normal grocery store.  And soda prices have risen over the years as well.  Used to go thru a 24 pack in a week back in high school (3 - 6 cans a day).  Now I have like a few cans a week.  Living in AZ for 15 years, I got used to drinking a lot of water and juice.

31 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

Which is another way of saying that they make close to nothing on burgers and must minimize their costs by procuring beef sub-products to stay afloat.

Thank you.

they buy beef in bulk that's how they save money with long range contracts, not by buying sub quality beef... you're twisting stuff to prove your point, even up scale restaurants make little on burgers, they get you on appetizers and drinks

4 minutes ago, neufuse said:

they buy beef in bulk that's how they save money with long range contracts, not by buying sub quality beef... you're twisting stuff to prove your point, even up scale restaurants make little on burgers, they get you on appetizers and drinks

Do you believe in free market competition?