Will this grass ever damage the fence like this?

Will this grass ever cause structural integrity damage to this fence?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Will this grass ever cause structural integrity damage to this fence?

• Yes
    • No

I need a poll to get some perspective on this. Will the grass ever damage the structural integrity of the fence like this?  The poles are cemented in the ground.

I74mEAP.jpg

wSrGc93.jpg

6 minutes ago, TAZMINATOR said:

Not if you take care of it weekly. 

If you are talking about discoloring on the fence by the grass, that's no big deal because you can paint the fence every few years.

I'm not talking about the color so much as the structural integrity. I updated the OP to be clear. 

I don't think the poll is working...

16 minutes ago, Bryan R. said:

I'm not talking about the color so much as the structural integrity. I updated the OP to be clear. 

got the poll working for you :)

might be a timer for editing polls idk

I doubt the grass would ever cause damage though

1 minute ago, Bryan R. said:

Then like I said, not if you take care of it.  

I mean if you don't weedeat/mow it by the fence or take care of the fence for awhile, the hidden trees can grow out of the ground and could damage the fence.  

Make sure you trim the grass very well.. 

Clean the fence (weekly, bi-weekly, or whatever you want) could help it last longer.  

• 4 weeks later...

If the pickets are wood, just the fact that they touch the ground will eventually wick moisture into the wood causing rot. Even paint in the bottom of the picket will not adequately seal the wood for long. 

The grass itself is unlikely to be a problem but healthy grass indicates a fair amount of moisture and as stated above, will eventually be an issue. If the pickets are vinyl, you're fine.  I learned this lesson a few years back when the bottom foot or so started rotting and I spent time learning from fence companies how to built a new fence.