Scripting/automating editing a text file

Question

Hi guys,

I have a text file generated by a weather forecasting program.
It has alot of data that doesn't work with a PHP script I use, so I need to delete it out manually.

What I need to do is automate this somehow - I need it to delete everything before a certain block of text that is always the same. The line that is always the same is "   WXSIM text forecast for Glendale". So everything before that is deleted, and everything after stays.

Any ideas or solutions?

Thanks! :-)

3 answers to this question

Just automate it in PHP itself, text filtering should be doable using regex for example.

If you could post before/after examples of the text you want to input and what the output should look like, I could make a better assumption on the best solution.

Regex can also be done in most other programming languages so this could also be made as a shell script or executable.

Since you're literally splitting the text input something like a simple split function should probably already work:

$output = ($input, "   WXSIM text forecast for Glendale")[1];

If details like Glendale are variable(different between files) then you probably need to use regex.

Thx seahorse, normally that would be fine, but the file is uploaded for direct use by the script, so it has to be preprocessed locally on the machine.