All Control Panel Items

Every time I login to my computer, I keep getting the "All Control Panel Items" icon that appears on my desktop.  It will usually go away on its own or after a screen refresh.   I'm trying to figure out what is causing it.  Any ideas?

No idea what could have caused it, but it looks like you need to delete the following registry keys: 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\{5399E694-6CE5-4D6C-8FCE-1D8870FDCBA0}
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\{5399E694-6CE5-4D6C-8FCE-1D8870FDCBA0}

Source

Note that I have no idea if that will work, it's just what I found after a quick search.

^ I believe that topic is talking about just the "Control Panel" icon ... not the OP's issue of "All Control Panel Items"

I've never seen this issue ... but after a search I did find this thread at TenForums with the following suggestions ...

- Pressing F5 (refresh) ... which I doubt will work (or is just temporary)

- and this post ...

There's another scenario... if you create a VPN connection and then a shortcut to your desktop, the "All Control Panel Icons" shortcut appears. You can move it around anywhere, BUT, it won't go into Recycle Bin. F5 doesn't do the trick. In searching around, there appears to be other ways it will appear, often with creating shortcuts to the desktop, that triggers this icon to appear. It's a Windows 10 defect.

What you need to do is go into Settings --> Personalization --> Themes --> Desktop icon settings, then un-check "allow themes to change desktop icons." Clears it. Of course, this will disappoint someone who has multiple themes and different icons for each.

This is really strange.  I don't have any VPNs setup.  I got 4 shortcuts and two files on the desktop.  I already did the Settings>Personalization>Themes>Desktop Icon Settings thing.  I hope they fix this soon.  Its really annoying.   Thank you for the input everyone. =)

Interesting issue. Need more information. 1. Version of Windows running. 2. Do you have sharing setup on your computer 3. When did this happen 4. Have you recently installed any new software onto the computer 5. What computer do you have 6. Any external devices like HDD's SSD's . 7 If you have a notebook do you have an external or secondary monitor. 8. Do you run an XBOX or play shared games on this computer. 9. Have you recently downloaded any programs that you have had trouble with and aborted installing them. 10. Have you downloaded any MP3 or video that gave you issues. One thing I will tell you, do NOT follow the advice of NICK H. unless you are running  a Windows 2008 Terminal Server even then you do not delete this item from the registry you would delete it through Group Policy Objects/Editor. So, I need further information to help you..

Thanks 

Dawson Witter

MCSE, CCIE

1 hour ago, ddawson said:

Interesting issue. Need more information. 1. Version of Windows running. 2. Do you have sharing setup on your computer 3. When did this happen 4. Have you recently installed any new software onto the computer 5. What computer do you have 6. Any external devices like HDD's SSD's . 7 If you have a notebook do you have an external or secondary monitor. 8. Do you run an XBOX or play shared games on this computer. 9. Have you recently downloaded any programs that you have had trouble with and aborted installing them. 10. Have you downloaded any MP3 or video that gave you issues. One thing I will tell you, do NOT follow the advice of NICK H. unless you are running  a Windows 2008 Terminal Server even then you do not delete this item from the registry you would delete it through Group Policy Objects/Editor. So, I need further information to help you..

Thanks 

Dawson Witter

MCSE, CCIE

1)  Windows 10 Home (ver. 1709, build. 16299.248).  2) I'm assuming you meant Homegroup/sharing between household PCs, then yes, I do.  3) I don't remember when it actually started but, it was some time ago.  4) I had tried a new AV but, its gone.  5) ASUS Desktop PC G11CB_G11CD  6) No  7) N/A  8) No  9) No  10) No  11) Thanks for the tip.

Forgive me for taking so long to get back to you. I am focusing on QUESTION 2...Since setting up sharing is this when you noticed your issue? In other words have you ALWAYS run sharing or is something new that you setup? Also, is what you share perhaps the desktop or control panel items? Did you remotely take control of this computer or another computer you share with? I am going to assume that you tried to boot in safe mode? If this does NOT happen in safe mode, then there is something causing this issue. Also, is the other item that you share with a computer, tablet, or perhaps cell phone?, is this device running Linux by chance or Windows? In theory you could always run a batch file to auto refresh the screen on boot, kind of a drag I know, but it would solve the issue if all else fails. I am not aware of any CURRENT issues with Windows 10, Windows 7/8 YES. There is a .reg file that I remember on the Windows 7 Forums that reports success in solving the issue. I would suggest trying safe mode first if the issue resolves in safe mode then troubleshoot third party items that load or hook at startup. Also in SETTINGS..DEVICES......Go through all items and REMOVE any devices that are no longer connected or relevant. 

Good luck I hope this helps.

Dawson Witter

MCSE, CCIE