Microsoft Wireless Keyboard 2000 - Esc key opens context menu

I'm getting quite annoyed with the Microsoft Wireless Keyboard 2000 that I purchased a couple of months ago. I've found that pressing the Esc key whilst on the desktop brings up the context menu for the pinned 'File Explorer' item on my task bar. It's really annoying, especially as it happens in games. When I come to pause/go to the menu of the game (especially to manually save)...the Esc key will minimise the game and bring up that context menu. It will often also crash the game too, which is really frustrating.

I'm using Windows 10 Home 1709 x64

I have uninstalled the actual keyboard from the PC and reinstalled it (dongle and all)

I have the Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Centre installed, which has no congfigurable option for the Esc key. (I have also reinstalled this software)

The keyboard does not have an 'F'/Function lock key, which can be toggled on or off. Instead it is a key to the right of the space bar which needs to be held down when pressing the F Keys to access their other function.

I have connected my old wired Microsoft Digital Media Keyboard 3000 and the issues does NOT happen.

I've also tried doing some Googling, but cannot find anything relating to my issue.

I cannot figure out why the Esc key on this keyboard is doing this. Anyone have any ideas?

Here's a screenshot of the context menu it brings up:

EscContext.png

Edit: If I unpin File Explorer from the Task Bar - it appears to no longer happen (will require more time to test). However, I don't want to have File Explorer unpinned...maybe I'll just have to?

Edited by Daedroth

It now appears to now be sorted.

After I unpinned File Explorer from the task bar and Esc stopped doing things...I re-pinned it again. Esc no longer opens the context menu.

No idea why that would work, but there you go.

Update #2 - The issue is back again. I re-pinned File Explorer and it didn't do it for a little bit...then it started doing it again. So I unpinned File Explorer and left it unpinned. This meant that my other pinned task bar items all shuffled left one space, meaning that Google Chrome is now in that task bar slot. Guess what happens when I press Esc now? It opens the context menu/right click options on the Chrome icon.

Very frustrating.

9 hours ago, Vince800 said:

Have you tried connecting up another USB keyboard just to rule out of the same thing happens?

Unforunately, yes. It doesn't happen on a different wired USB keyboard. So the issue appears to specifically be with this keyboard.

Also from your screenshot, I've noticed that file explorer is the first item on the jumplist. Have you tried swapping the position of File Explorer & Google Chrome? I just wonder if this behaviour will start with Google Chrome.

I have a Microsoft Wireless keyboard with buttons for the first 6 pinned items, does yours have this? I wonder if something there is conflicting.

55 minutes ago, Vince800 said:

Also from your screenshot, I've noticed that file explorer is the first item on the jumplist. Have you tried swapping the position of File Explorer & Google Chrome? I just wonder if this behaviour will start with Google Chrome.

I have a Microsoft Wireless keyboard with buttons for the first 6 pinned items, does yours have this? I wonder if something there is conflicting.

Yes, that happens also. My keyboard doesn't have buttons for the pinned items.

i'd email MS support if you haven't already. if it turns out your keyboard is faulty (esc key sending a signal it shouldn't be) maybe they'll swap it for free lol

25 minutes ago, PsYcHoKiLLa said:

See here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/932875/resolve-hotkeys-or-volume-control-keys-not-working-on-microsoft-keyboa

Have you checked for any conflicting controller software, i.e. Logitech mouse drivers or something?

I have a Logitech G703 wireless gaming mouse, with the accompanying software installed. Though the software is specifically for the mouse, I will give it a look at.

25 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

i'd email MS support if you haven't already. if it turns out your keyboard is faulty (esc key sending a signal it shouldn't be) maybe they'll swap it for free lol

I might well do that.