Windows 10 or Windows 7: today

On 3/11/2018 at 11:13 AM, Antigen said:

Hi,

I have a Little computer that i use only for work/Office.

It has:

Amd 9000E CPU

4gb RAM

500 GB HD

Actually i need to buy the OS license.

I found a new license or 7 pro in a local store for 20 dollar (new, box, CoA)

My question is, today it's better install Windows 7 or 10 in this computer?

Thanks

I'd recommend Windows 10, given the fact that it has been obsoleted by multiple versions.

BUT, it all depends on the rest of the hardware in- and outside of that computer. I've seen multiple computers get the forced Windows 10 upgrade. After which, issues occurred (black screens after boot, no resume from sleep, sudden crashes, scanner not working properly anymore, random WIFI disconnects which require reboot to resolve...). Mostly due to drivers, with no update available for Windows 10. Hardware manufacturers don't like to release drivers for OS's which weren't available at the time their product was released. So my recommendation: first check which hardware you have, and verify if there are drivers available for Windows 10 on the manufacturers website.

If you can afford it then buy an SSD and get Windows 10, you will enjoy using the computer a lot more with an SSD in my opinion so would be a worthwhile upgrade to get the most out of it for the next few years.

Just buy Windows 10 from ebay for 6 £ like I did, Legit and everything. You only get a serial but dowmload the ISO files and who cares. Hope Im not breaking any rules by saying ebay.

4 hours ago, arranw said:

I say buy Windows 95

4 hours ago, Zagadka said:

On floppy disks.

Better yet get Windows 10 on floppy disks! (All 2079 1.44 MB High-Density of them)

windows_10_floppy_disk.png

On 11/03/2018 at 7:32 PM, warwagon said:

As long as it's still getting OS updates it's just fine to use. 

errrr no, just now, its in extended support for 18months, so no new feature updates and doesnt support a lot of new technologies or guarantee all security fixes will be forthcoming. not to mention short sighted tbh, why migrate to something thats due for retirement in less than 2 years, thats not long at all.

Let 7 die, its in its twilight years. 

• Like 2

On 3/14/2018 at 12:49 PM, Nazmus Shakib Khandaker said:

There is some disadvantages to using Windows 10 on older hardware, however. Namely, Windows 10 IS MORE DEMANDING on hardware. Whereas 4GB of RAM is more than sufficient for Windows 7, it is insufficient for a good Windows 10 user experience. That being said, 4GB RAM on PCs is becoming insufficient for web browsing. As web pages and web apps become more complex, with browsers running tabs in individual processes, browsers can eat up a lot of RAM. 8GB is now considered the minimum in 2018.

And Allah knows best.

Best wishes,

Nazmus

that is assuming running a 64bit version of Win10.

The 32bit x86 version of Win10 (less common) runs fine with just 2Gb of RAM.  plus the 32bit version can run on certain old CPUs like the "Prescott" & "Cedar Mill" series of Pentium 4s or certain AMD processors that lack the "cmpxchg16b" instruction set required to run the 64bit version.

There's also the "No Bloatware" & "Bloatware Free" versions of Windows 10 that come without the unnecessary baggage.

Otherwise, I'm more inclined to running Win10 LTSB/LTSC since I don't like doing any feature updates/upgrades.

• 2 months later...

There is no point in going for windows 7 over windows 10. With that being said, windows 10 has a lot to offer as compared to windows 7 like different start menu with live tiles, searching anything from your desktop directly, Cortana virtual assistant of windows in windows 10, virtual desktop, edge browser and many more. So, windows 10 has all points intact to be preferred over windows 10.

• 3 weeks later...