Good place to get SSL Certificates reasonably

Question

M_Lyons10    454

Hi everyone!

I have a basic html site and want to support https.

Who does everyone use / recommend for SSL Certificates?  I'm hoping to not break the bank, but there are a lot of companies that claim to sell them online and I don't even know who is legitimate.

What is a reasonable cost for an SSL Certificate?  I've seen prices all over the place.

Also, I read that Symantec Certificates (who were bought by someone else who I forgot) are going to be deranked by Google?  Does this mean that I should make sure my certificate is from someone else?

Thanks Again!

2 answers to this question

Seahorsepip    610

If you want a simple trustworthy certificate for a reasonable price I would got for a letsencrypt certificate, they're free too.

For a reasonable paid certificate I would go for a Comodo certificate since they're less then $100/year and in my personal experience I've never had issues with them in the past.

But these certificates won't give you a fancy green name in the url bar, you will need to buy a EV certificate for that which is more expensive ($250 ~ $500/year) and a longer process.

I wouldn't suggest it for a basic site, they're commonly used by banks and large companies.

TL;DR

I would get a letsencrypt certificate for this use case which is easy to setup and free

• Like 5
_kane81    9

Most web hosts include a free letsencrypt ssl certificate now - you just need to select the option to install it.

Best to message your host provider.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By zikalify
      Google Registry releases .page top-level domain with SSL by default
      by Paul Hill

Image via Google Google has announced that its domain registry, Google Registry, will now begin supplying .page top-level domains (TLDs). Currently, .page domains are only available through the Early Access Program but will be open for standard registrations on October 9; however, for an extra fee you can buy a domain from participating registrars before standard registrations open.

Over the last several years, tech firms have been supporting initiatives such as Let’s Encrypt to make as much of the web use HTTPS as possible. Google’s .page domains will now require an SSL certificate in order to operate, helping keep connections to .page domain secure.

Discussing the new domain, Ben Fried, VP, CIO, & Chief Domains Enthusiast, said:

In order to add a bit more excitement to the announcement, Google said that several high profile entities have already set up their own .page domains, including the actress and producer Ellen Page. You can see the full list in Google’s announcement.

• By duoi
      WordPress.com turns on free full HTTPS for all websites through the Let's Encrypt project
      by Steven Johns

WordPress.com has published a blog post informing their users that they've decided to utilize the Let's Encrypt project - a free service that makes it fairly simple to add HTTPS to your website - to add HTTPS to every website with a custom domain hosted on their platform. The emphasis is on custom domains because for the last couple of years, any of their users utilizing a subdomain under the wordpress.com domain already had HTTPS enabled.

WordPress, for good or bad, is a familiar name for anyone who has ever looked into blogging or barely scratched the surface of web development. The platform itself is an open-source content management system that makes it extremely straight forward to set up and maintain a managed website - something that a lot of people find to be a hassle. WordPress.com, however, is a separate entity which simplifies the process of getting your website or blog up and running: they not only handle most of the configuration for you, but also take care of the hosting and domain registration as well.

A notable part of what WordPress.com is doing is that the switch will be completely automatic: website administrators won't need to go in and enable or disable a certain setting to make it happen, and all of their customers will receive HTTPS without needing any additional action. As the rollout begins to take place, all plain HTTP requests will simply start transparently redirecting to their HTTPS counterparts.

Source: WordPress.com blog

• By +Kyle
      I am attempting to deploy a CA across our WIndows network in my company but I am stuck on an issue with Firefox. I have deployed the policy to the entire domain and dropped the cert file in: 

Policy Object Name/Computer Configuration/Windows Settings/Security Settings/Public Key Policies/Trusted Root Certification Authorities

Every browser except for Firefox seem to be taking this. Now, my big question is how do I make this work in Firefox seeing as Firefox has it's own CA store.

Does anyone have any experience in deploying internal CAs to Firefox on an enterprise network? 

Our AD server is Server 2008 R2.
    • By Batfink
      There will shortly be a new
    • By Maximum Error
      So i recently went to renew our companies SSL certificate only to discover we cant get them with .internal SANs. This has led me down the patch of changing our exchange 2010 environment to move away from server.domain.internal to webmail.domain.com. Ive set DNS as it should and change everything that i should... when i test the autodiscover URL its reporting all the correct urls (all beginning with webmail) but my outlook clients wont update the server name... its refusing to move from the internal name. Has anyone come across this before and can offer some advice?