NVM M2 to SATA Adapter issue

Hi guys,

I purchased a new laptop that has an existing M2 SSD at 256GB, but I wanted 512 so I got a Samsung 960 Pro M2.

In order to image the drive from the existing machine to the new SSD, I purchased a SATA to m2 Adapter card.

But, when I plug the SATA/M2 adapter card into an external SATA to USB adapter, I get nothing - doesnt see it. I can tell the M2 is getting power because the  M2 is getting warm. The SATA to USB adapter is working fine with regular SATA HD's.

So...do I need a special adapter of some kind? I'm lost here...

You bought a SATA to USB adapter.  The 960 is NVMe ... which isn't SATA nor is it backwards compatible.  You would need to buy a NVMe to USB adapter (if such a thing exist) while also ensuring your notebook can accept NVMe m.2 drives.

SATA m.2 != NVMe m.2

Correct. I'm going to guess the adapter doesn't work with NVMe. The laptop (existing drive) is a NVMe drive. Computer specs are changing faster than I can keep up...

Are there any NVMe to SATA adapters that exist? Or another way to image to the external NVMe 960?

I'm not sure...with respect to NVMe to USB.  I couldn't find one (doesn't mean they don't exist though). I'm not really sure how you'd be able to clone it...unless you have a desktop with a couple free NVMe slots (or buy some add-on NVMe cards)

Do an image of the existing drive to an external with something like Macrium free. Crate a boot USB flash drive with the software. Swap the old drive with the new one boot with the USB.

Restore the image to the new drive.

Hello,

Cloning the drive is going to be a little tricky because as @Jim K noted, there is no way to bridge NVMe and USB.  The NVMe is a DMA-based protocol that runs over the PCIe bus, so you will need an interface that supports DMA, such as M.2 NVMe and SATA to PCIe card (which would go into a the PCIe slot on a desktop computer's motherboard), or a NVMe to Thunderbolt enclosure (which connects to a laptop or a desktop with a Thunderbolt interface).  That would give you to hardware to clone the drive, but you would still have the problem of the cloned drive not having Samsung's NVMe driver on it, so the new Samsung 960 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD would still be non-bootable.

You could try downloading the Samsung 960 PRO NVMe driver from Samsung's web site and installing it to the Windows installation on the 256GB M.2 SATA SSD before cloning the drive.  Or, you could try making recovery media after installing the NVMe driver, then removing the M.2 SATA SSD, installing the M.2 NVMe SSD and then using the recovery media to load the operating system onto it. 

Another option would be to download the latest Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft, make a bootable USB out of it, copy the NVMe driver to the USB in a memorable location like C:\DRIVERS\, and then use that to perform a clean install of Windows 10 to the Samsung 960 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Aryeh,

Thanks for your response.

Even though the drive installed already is a NVMe, your saying Samsung has some proprietary controller on-board that requires a driver? Yikes.

I like the idea of cloning to external media and using a Restore CD/USB drive. I'll give it a shot. Can't hurt because if it doesn't work I can just pop the old SSD back in.

Thank you everyone!

Fahim,

A lot of people have gotten bit by those - it doesn't say if it supports just SATA or NVMe cards. Most only support SATA.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Black said:

Fahim,

A lot of people have gotten bit by those - it doesn't say if it supports just SATA or NVMe cards. Most only support SATA.

It says it supports PCIe... 

• Like 1

Hello,

The vendor mislabeled it accidentally, I'm afraid.  It is a USB 3.0 to M.2 SATA adapter.  I have one from ZTE that I put a 128MB M.2 SATA SSD into, and had a smaller one (M.2 2242-sized only) from UGREEN for similar purpose that burnt out and took a 64GB M.2 SATA SSD with it (not surprisingly, it has been discontinued).  Essentially, these allow you to use the M.2 SATA SSD as a fast USB flash drive.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

9 hours ago, Fahim S. said:

It says it supports PCIe... 

Samsung 960 Pro is heaven.

Don't spoil that beauty! Just download a ISO from Microsoft and do a clean install from the booted USB drive.

Then copy over info needed from the old drive that you backed up on any old USB.

Less work in the end and far better result.

Windows 10 will have no problem detecting the Samsung 960 Pro on install. Noting needed. I have done exactly this on my laptop with zero issues. After install, run a benchmark to verify all 4 PCIe lanes are being used and you are good to go.

• Like 2