Sea Of Thieves

So yea.. it launches Tonight/Tomorrow (March 20, 2018).  I pre-purchased it with the hope it will give me something to sink some hours into and hopefully renew my video-game playing. Anyone else planning on playing? For those unaware.. www.seaofthieves.com

I'm very skeptical on this one, I'll give it a shot at some point via game pass but from what I've seen of this I don't see myself playing for longer than a few hours. I know part of this is due to a lack of understanding but I just don't see the point or the aim to it?

Don't get me wrong, I can happily enjoy a game like Minecraft where's there's no goal to it but this just doesn't have that same appeal.

Haven't picked it up yet as want to grab the disc and won't get a chance until the weekend. Loved the beta, you won't enjoy this game but unless you play with a bunch of friends and love causing hell for other players and exploring.

I played it for 20 minutes and I was so lost... The game did not tell me what I had to do. Just taught me how to eat a banana. :(
I was so ###### I couldn't do anything that I immediately uninstalled it :/

31 minutes ago, Tomegazord said:

I played it for 20 minutes and I was so lost... The game did not tell me what I had to do. Just taught me how to eat a banana. :(

This was my biggest issue after first picking it up. I had to go through 2 tutorial videos on YouTube before I figured things out. Why there is no in-game tutorial to show you the ropes is beyond me.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tomegazord said:

That's fantastic! :laugh: 

4 minutes ago, Zagadka said:

Another game that bases content on interacting with teenagers.

Is it too much to ask for a half decent single player storyline (that lasts more than three hours)?

8 hours ago, Tomegazord said:

It won't hold your hand, you have to figure everything out for yourself. Playing with other mic'd up players is the best bet for starting if you're feeling lost.

6 hours ago, satukoro said:

Is it too much to ask for a half decent single player storyline (that lasts more than three hours)?

You know its designed to be mutil-player co-operative right?  The game is built around having a crew of 2 or 4 to sail a ship.

It's a great deal of fun with a good crew

• Like 2

Played with a crew for the first time, goddamn it was fun. Blowing up other boats, working as a team to get from A -> B. Getting some mad gold! Hitting more than a few rocks, running around like crazy repairing holes, getting rid of water.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, firey said:

Played with a crew for the first time, goddamn it was fun. Blowing up other boats, working as a team to get from A -> B. Getting some mad gold! Hitting more than a few rocks, running around like crazy repairing holes, getting rid of water.

This is what the entire game is all about, as long as you have friends this game is a blast.

Over 1 million unique players in the first 48 hours.

https://mspoweruser.com/sea-of-thieves-passes-1-million-unique-players-in-under-48-hours-rare-releases-launch-status-developer-update-video/

Massive on Twitch also for those that care about that crap.

Me and my friend are kinda waiting for the point where it's actually exciting.  He tells me there's supposed to be a big update in June.  And I figure some stuff is likely waiting until the server issues clear up.

So far for me this game is about as exciting as a canoe ride.  Or....actually maybe less.

7 hours ago, dwLostCat said:

Me and my friend are kinda waiting for the point where it's actually exciting.  He tells me there's supposed to be a big update in June.  And I figure some stuff is likely waiting until the server issues clear up.

So far for me this game is about as exciting as a canoe ride.  Or....actually maybe less.

Have you played it then?

I'm not surprised this game is being torn apart in reviews; It should never have released at £40/$60.

I felt like I had seen everything it had to offer in one of the early beta streams (i.e not a lot). It wasn't my cup of tea to begin with though so I don't feel like I'm missing out. Feel sorry for Rare though. Hopefully it's not back to the Avatar upkeep basement for them :(

28 minutes ago, dwLostCat said:

Do I feel like I played anything?  No.  Did I load up Sea of Thieves and do some stuff in it?  Yes.

Fair enough, to each their own. That's how I feel about games like Minecraft, never really played.. just went in and built some stuff, but never felt like I was playing.

4 hours ago, firey said:

Fair enough, to each their own. That's how I feel about games like Minecraft, never really played.. just went in and built some stuff, but never felt like I was playing.

I think this sums up SoT perfectly :laugh:

10f2h52.jpg

This game is make your own fun a lot like Minecraft & Justcause but with friends. Surprised anyone could take any reviews completed in 24 hours of an online multiplayer game seriously.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Vandalsquad said:

I think this sums up SoT perfectly :laugh:

This game is make your own fun a lot like Minecraft & Justcause but with friends. Surprised anyone could take any reviews completed in 24 hours of an online multiplayer game seriously.

I definitely see it as a make your own fun kinda game

I haven't played it yet and I do plan to but I've always had reservations about this game, so far from the little I've seen and read it's exactly as I expected. I get the whole make your own fun kinda game but it also seems quite restrictive in what you have available to be able to make your own fun.

Time will tell, I'll hopefully get some time next week to give it a try and see for myself.

• Like 1

Some screen shots for everyone I've taken, best art style and looking game I've seen in quite some time. Water is best in game ever seen in my eyes.
Warning 4K, 10MB per size pictures.

Spoiler

Untitled.png

Untitled4.png

Untitled5.png

Untitled6.png

Played tonight, got dropped into a Galleon doing a raid. We defended the island and got all the loot. Was a lot of fun

• 4 weeks later...

People who bring up the price for it, I'd just like to point out that unlike other games that sell you season passes and DLC, Rare/MS are giving you at least 2 content updates for the game for free and probably more.   I think if the updates keep coming at a nice steady pace, adding new things, and stay free, then this game will last quite a bit as a MMO.

If Microsoft had the cheek to sell DLC for a game which has barely any content to begin with, they'd be shooting themselves in the foot and hammering the final nail in the game's coffin.

This game is on a track of free lifetime upgrades regardless to make up for such a shocking base experience. Not because it's goodwill or trying to do DLC "right".