slow write speed to nas, read fine.

So I have recently fired up a synology ds918+ running DSM 6.2-23648 (beta)

So when I was running windows I got full speed both up and down from shares 113MBps.. With smb3 multichannel I was seeing 220 up and down.. I have a thread showing this.

Well my move to the nas vs windows running on a esxi host has pushed me to move my main desktop to linux.. I will prob only run windows as VM to help users with stuff, etc.  Just because I am stuck with it at work doesn't mean I have to run it at home any more.

So running linux mint 18.3.. All was going good until tried to mount my shares..  Seems something odd with latest kern or something and since not using smbv1 had to mount via cmd line, will add to fstab once all working as it should.  So no problem I got my shares mounted and working..

sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.9.10/share /home/budman/nas/share -o username=budman,vers=3,uid=budman

Copy a large file down and speeds look fine...

5ac10f63dc5e7_Screenshotfrom2018-04-0111-56-20.thumb.png.8ef91fd4adc57148efa73cd4af115fe3.png

But when pushing a file to the share.. it max out at like 14MBps

While I can find all kinds of info about slow speeds, nothing that makes much sense for tweaks to smb.conf and such..  Or specific on changes in how mounting it?

Selection_001.thumb.png.dfa30624de7c2cf77678289661ec8290.png

I don't use samba much.. Any suggestions here?  Anyone seen this sort of thing - seems very odd.. Its sure not a disk issue this is running off 860 EVO brand new SSD.. If I boot back to my windows SSD I get full speeds..

I move a lot of files back and forth between my nas and pc.. So if can not work this out have to go back to running windows until I do.  I can give NFS a try vs smb... But seems odd linux mint doesn't come with nfs out of the box?

edit:  Using file station to upload the file gives me 72MBps... So clearly its something in the in the samba on linux..

edit2:  Guess just use NFS... because with that seeing full speed.. WTF??/

So I updated to 4.16 kern that came out the other day... And now seeing 60MBps..

This just makes no sense..  I am going to try booting a different distro..

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to suggest NFS - it works better.  I use it for my Kodi box to share with.   Sounds like you solved your problem with speeds at least with that protocol.   I use Linux Mint 18.3 here as my main Distro.  

I ran a quick DuckDuckGo search and found some interesting chatter about it from being anything from wifi card being on at same time as the Eth0 to other possible configuration tweaks.   

Yeah wireless card off..

NFS fixed the problem of seeing full speed for gig.. Just makes no sense..

Bumped the kern to 4.16 and seeing 60MBps vs the 14..

Been looking to how I could get NFS multipath working.. Since with SMB3 multichannel I can see 200+MBps.. with the 2 nics I have both in my pc and the nas..  I hate to say it I might have to roll back to using windows on my PC... Arrggh..

I booted windows 10 and bam 114MBps..  Both read and write to the share on the nas.  I had to run out the door for work..  There has been talk of nfs multipath or pNFS for years.  But I can not find any real clear cut guides on getting it to work in a client server sort of setup.  Lots of talk about using it with vmware.  And found some info on getting it to work with client server if running centos, etc.

Think just going to bite the bullet and go back to windows..  Also having ###### time with access shares with just browsing in linux mint to the shares.  I have to mount the shares from cmd line.

I am happy with the NFS speeds for 1 gig.. But since I have the switch ports and the nics in both the nas and the pc be nice to see the 200 ;)

When I get home I will reboot into windows and connect the 2nd nic and enable multichannel on the nas again and see how it goes.. If I get constant 200ish prob just going to stick with windows.. I normally just use linux from cmd line anyway off a vm..  But would of been nice to be fully windows free ;)

Well if I want smb3 multichannel guess I have to stick with windows on the desktop..

220MBps just to big of deal for me to overlook

multichannel.thumb.png.d1149a48649aa1be311cd16e0f2c1a42.png

write speed to the share is a bit slower - but 177MBps is 60 some percent faster than without the multichannel..  I will have to see if can get that up to 220 if use SSD on the nas and or setup a write cache on that share.  Write to the shr array expect to take a hit vs reading from..

writespeed.thumb.png.eae03401d4af2516ec47103cf6d5a774.png

If anyone knows how I can get these speeds using linux as my desktop be it either NFS multipath or SMB multichannel be happy to go back to linux as desktop.

• 5 months later...

Hi BudMan,

how do you get that kind of speeds? Even 14 MB/sec would be good for me.

I currently have Mint 18.3 with the latest 4.15 kernel, a DS 414 with SMB configured in fstab, and I never get more than 4 MB/sec write speed. It's like that since a few years with various other distros. In Windows 7 I got 20-30 MB/sec.

Also I never got NFS working, I think there were some issues with user rights.

Thanks

What is your connection speed? 20-30MBps is horrible!  Can you run an iperf test between your client and your server.

So I am seeing 220 both read and write without any issues on my DS918+ after a bit of redo of my array.  Using just raid 0 with 3x4TB drives..  What version of Samba are you running?  I could for sure boot mint on my desktop and see what I can get to my nas... I know for sure windows 10 does smb3 multichannel without any issues.  And once I fixed up the nics I was having a bit of problems with to a dual port.. Windows 10 doesn't like my built in broadcom on this older dell.  It runs for awhile and then just locks up.

DS414 what version of DSM are you runing 6.2.1-23824 is the latest and I show it available for the DS414, what disks do you have and how do you have them configured?

I was seeing decent speeds with NFS... but couldn't find how to get any sort of multipath working with it.. So had to bite the bullet and just running windows on my desktop.. It screams 220 both up and down with current config and read/write cache setup on the raid 0 array.

Here is a write of 8GB file from my PC to nas

writespeed.thumb.png.70760528f2d376fa32430d8199fa7b49.png

When I get home tonight I will grab copy of latest mint and see what I can get..