Movie Pass / Best investment in a while

I've seen a lot of movies but mostly when Netflix gets them.  Unless it is a big flick like Star Trek or Star Wars, I'm content with sitting it out until they get to my streaming channels. But  last Christmas, I got a Movie Pass.  Even movies I don't care as much about, I find myself heading to the movies to check them out.  I haven't had this many of weekday date nights with my wife in a while so its all good.  Anyone else onto MoviePass and going to the theater more?

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, hasad77 said:

Heard about it... actually good things.... but not using it myself at the moment.

Its pretty awesome man. I've been to 14 movies since I've had it. That's more movies than I've seen in 3 years.  I mean going out to the theater that is.  

i read about it. not a bad deal for $10 a month. up to one movie per day. they did say that they will change the promotion "Or maybe they already did" 

didn't pay much attention to the article but they said that now you can only watch a movie once and you no longer will be able to get more that one ticket or the same movie. and something like a limit of movies per week

anyone looking to get that plan should get it before the changes take place unless they already did

37 minutes ago, cesardrgn said:

i read about it. not a bad deal for $10 a month. up to one movie per day. they did say that they will change the promotion "Or maybe they already did" 

didn't pay much attention to the article but they said that now you can only watch a movie once and you no longer will be able to get more that one ticket or the same movie. and something like a limit of movies per week

anyone looking to get that plan should get it before the changes take place unless they already did

Yeah, I read that too.  They are going to take advantage of the "terms and services" agreement and modify how this service is used for existing and new people. If it changes too drastically, it won't make much sense to have it anymore but for now, I'll keep using it.

From what I have read, current unlimited subs will continue to be unlimited. They will no longer offer that plan and instead the new plan is four movies a month. 

While subscribers who signed up until mid-April could see one movie per day for around ten bucks a month, new subscribers can now only sign up for a plan that allows them to see just four movies per month.

Existing subscribers, according to a statement made to TechCrunch, won’t be affected by the change. But they might be the last of a dying breed. MoviePass described the new plan as a way of testing a new model, and said “this does not mean that our unlimited subscription will not be offered in the future.” But when asked by TheHollywood Reporter whether the one-per-day plan would return, CEO Mitch Lowe replied only “I don’t know.”

And now, you can only see a movie once under the plan.

MoviePass has also made another, smaller change, saying it will now restrict all subscribers to seeing a movie only a single time. According to statements from the company, that change was made to prevent fraud.

26 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

From what I have read, current unlimited subs will continue to be unlimited. They will no longer offer that plan and instead the new plan is four movies a month. 

And now, you can only see a movie once under the plan.

So they changed the plan already. but still, $10 a month for a movie a week is still a good deal since just one ticket at regular price and be over $10

Just now, cesardrgn said:

So they changed the plan already. but still, $10 a month for a movie a week is still a good deal since just one ticket at regular price and be over $10

Oh ya, I mean it is still a good deal if you didn't know about the unlimited. If you go to the show a few times a month, this is still worth it because like you pointed out, tickets are easily over $10 dollars.

We have a similar thing here in the UK and you're able to see unlimited films for an entire year.

It's around £140 (I think) and you can see as many films as you can squeeze in. I follow them on Twitter and often see people who literally spend the entire day at the cinema watching films back to back. They have a small uplift for premium seats or 3D films etc and even give a discount on local restaurants and cinema snacks. 

I've been tempted a few times but have never bitten the bullet. 

My Life insurance has a benefit that gives me and the other half a free Cinema ticket each week as long as we keep active (steps, maintained high Heart Rate for X minutes etc). Certainly don't use it as much as we should but it's also had us going to the cinema more than we used to.

I got Moviepass for free. It's a great deal even if I was paying $10 a month for it. But I don't see it lasting longer than a few years. I know they are getting extra money for ad promotion for movies that pop on the app and on the email to see. The idea around Moviepass is a good idea and I do think AMC and Regal need to change the way they do business because I don't see people going to pay $10 to $17 a movie until it's a big flick coming out. The theater platform is too expensive when you can get other options for so much less like Netflix.

• Like 2