I accidentally built a new computer

Yeah, you read that right. It all started when I wanted a solution to the bundle of cables that were piling up due to my 3 HP 27es setup and multitude of other things plugged in. So to replace the monitors, I bought a Dell AW3418DW for about $1,250 including taxes and expedited shipping. I LOVE it. So I start playing Assassin's Creed Origins and it was BEAUTIFUL. I noticed that my EVGA GTX 1060 6GB was struggling a LITTLE bit so I bought a EVGA GTX 1080 from Best Buy which cost $830 including taxes and shipping.

But then I thought; I can't have a new monitor and a new video card with an i5, that's not good enough. So I bought an i7 8700K from Amazon for $347 and was told I now need a new motherboard because of something or another. I ended up buying a ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero for $259. Then I thought to myself; I have all these glowing parts and my tower is stuck under a desk. I found the Corsair Carbide 275R for $100 with the tempered glass side and put the tower on my desk next to the monitor.

Problem then became; all the ugly wires I would still see through the tempered glass so I bought a Corsair, Individually Sleeved Premium Cable bundle for $81 and it looked great! Except for the HDD wires. I already had a Samsung EVO 960 250GB and a WD Black 1TB for games but I hated the wires for the WD. I ditched it and bought another EVO, this time 1TB for $480 and problem solved! I got a free copy of Far Cry 5 that I'm probably going to sell for $40 so if you want it, inbox me. First come first serve. It was a promo for the HDD and it's a product key. I already own a copy so, yeah.

THEN, I thought; why am I still using this old mouse and keyboard. I sprung for a new Logi Craft Keyboard for $199 and a Logitech Master 2S for $100 and to keep up with the Logi theme, bought a Z623 $115 and then a Corsair MM800 RGB Gaming Mouse Pad for $53 for a grand total of $3,814, all because I intentionally bought a new monitor. This is the most I've EVER spent on a build, EVER. It was worth it. I cut down on the cables dramatically lol.

• Like 3

Just now, Brandon H said:

wish i had the money to burn for that kind of build. sounds nice man :yes:

I didn't even notice it went that high to be honest. I just didn't want all the old parts with a nice new monitor. I ended up getting on Steam and buying a bunch of games, a few that I've actually already played. I just want to see it all on Ultra at 1440p.

$830 for a 1080? I can get a new 1080ti for like around $898 USD (AUD conversion price)

Didn't realize how bad it's gotten in USA for GPU prices.

12 minutes ago, mrchetsteadman said:

20180404_200756.thumb.jpg.38dabdbf8732054a9f8b9d418a6d3558.jpg20180404_200626.thumb.jpg.4db9d7eefead937d1622079a19f54a63.jpg20180404_200823.thumb.jpg.8a80e35100203fee2344c39dfdc00ca3.jpg

I can't upload more than 2MB, how do I bypass that?

Nice desktop!

When you said "accidentally" I though you fell down the stairs and by the time you reached the floor you had a new PC build :D

Ive been itching to get a 1080ti but I think I'll hold on to my 1070 until GTX 1180 is out....

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, CrashGordon said:

#Firstworldproblems

Joking aside, Sounds like a killer setup, but we need pics!

There is nothing wrong with being respectful of other human beings and you made a valid point.

There are many people from all over Planet Earth that visit the Neowin forums and it would be nice if all humans who wish to be empowered by the educational and mind enhancing properties of a nice PC could have access to that.

I was going to say more but then I started to visualize lack of food, water, medicine etc and just had a mini-meltdown. My mind comes up empty on anything at all that could help. A new PC is a wonder and a joy and my brain wants to carve into two pieces holding on to both thoughts.

16 hours ago, DevTech said:

There are many people from all over Planet Earth that visit the Neowin forums and it would be nice if all humans who wish to be empowered by the educational and mind enhancing properties of a nice PC could have access to that.

Just planet Earth? Not very inclusive ... are you? :rolleyes:

Great PC!! Story reminded me of:

A young guy from Texas moves to California and goes to one of those big "everything under one roof" stores looking for a job. The manager asked, "Do you have any sales experience?" 

The kid said, "Sure, I was a salesman back home in Texas." 

The boss liked the kid so he gave him the job. "You start tomorrow. I’ll come down after we close and see how you did." 

His first day on the job was rough but he got through it. After the store was locked up, the boss came down to see how things went. 

"How many sales did you make today?" 

The young man replied without hesitating, "One." 

The boss said, "Just one? Our sales people average 20 or 30 sales a day. How much was the sale for?" 

The kid said, "$101,237.64." 

The boss said, "$101,237.64?! What the hell did you sell?!" 

The kid said, "First I sold him a small fish hook. Then I sold him a medium fish hook. Then I sold him a larger fish hook. Then I sold him a new fishing rod. Then I asked him where he was going fishing and he said down at the coast, so I told him he was gonna need a boat, so we went down to the boat department and I sold him that twin-engine Chris Craft. Then he said he didn’t think his Honda Civic would pull it, so I took him down to the automotive department and sold him that 4x4 Blazer." 

Amazed, the boss said, "A guy came in here to buy a fish hook and you sold him a boat and a truck?" 

"No, he came here to buy a box of tampons for his wife and I said, 'Well, your weekend’s shot, you might as well go fishing.'"