Opening My Rust Server to the Public

So I've ran my own personal Rust server for a while, but kept it pretty locked down to only myself, my wife and one or two close friends.  Since I've been a part of this community for so long, I thought I would extend an invitation to any of you here who play Rust and are looking for a place to play.  I'll take spells where I will play for a week or two non-stop and then take breaks, so I figure somebody might as well get some use out of it since the service is already running.  The rules are pretty self explanatory and appear when you click on it in the server browser; don't kill nakeds for no reason being the biggest one.  It's not a "no kill" server, but I also don't want newbs getting slaughtered as soon as they log in.  I just wanted to have a laid back server where my close friends and family could play together without every possible cave and hidey hole being occupied, or being murdered at every turn.  I can manually replenish resources and such using Rustadmin from my gaming PC (the server is a headless Linux box so I manage it over my home network), so I don't bother with manual server wipes as long as there aren't any problems with the game world and nobody has specifically asked me to wipe the world, so the only time the server should wipe is when the process of updating it forces it.  The server should show up under the "Community" tab as "Gerowen's Rust Server".  Structure decay is disabled.  If it doesn't show up you can manually connect by pressing "F1" in game and running the command:

client.connect marcusadams.ddns.net:28015

I experimented with opening the server to the public a year or so ago, but with only 4GB of RAM and a dual core CPU at the time, it wasn't quite up to the task of handling a couple people playing Rust at the same time that it may also be encoding a video stream for Plex or somebody logging into the Minecraft service.  I've since moved all of the guts into a case with better airflow, upgraded the CPU/cooler to a 6 core CPU and upgraded it to 16 GB of RAM.  The server, router and my ISP's modem are all routed through an UPS so that even in the event of a power outage (because Kentucky Power is kind of unreliable in the head of a holler in eastern Kentucky), the server should remain available for about 30 minutes so either the power will come back on, or I'll have a chance to message people in the server and warn them.

If any of you decide you want to play on it and you have any problems, questions or suggestions, please let me know.  Enjoy! :-)

WP_20180415_14_16_34_Pro.jpg

Capture.PNG

12 hours ago, virtorio said:

Rule 1 conflicts with the whole point of playing Rust.

Not really, I don't think.  I don't mind people fighting over stuff, I just don't want some guy with an AK and an RPG hounding nakeds the moment they spawn into the server.  The whole reason I started my own was to get away from the servers with 100+ people where every good hiding spot was taken and it was impossible to get anything done if you didn't play 24/7 immediately after a wipe.  I remember once on a server I spent 3-4 hours looking for good hiding spots.  I found a cave and spent a few minutes jumping across beams and everything to get into the bottom of this cave, and inside the cave, in the very lowest room, somebody had built a little shack.  The idea here isn't to stop people from fighting over resources, supply drops, etc., or taking over bases, it's to give nakeds a chance to do something besides die repeatedly, :-)

Thanks, just bought rust as it looks interesting, but I'm not generally in to public servers. Giving it a go and it looks interesting so far.