Can't access FTP through Filezilla

I've a friend that has rented a Windows Server with AWS, he doesn't understand almost nothing of servers, he just bought the renting and created a very simple DB in SQL.

He asked me to do some forms in PHP for him to access through any device in a browser.

He created the FTP and and account for me, it pings alright but whenever I tried with FIlezilla (mac) it just gives me login authentication error.

I can put screenshots of whatever is needed since I've access to the server.

Basically I "just" need to access the folder where the browsers "enter" to put the php files in there.

Any ideas that I might try?

Thank you

He couldn’t have set it up correctly or you aren’t using the correct ftp type he set up.

More ore than likely it isn’t on your end unless there is a specific ftp option in the sites control panel. 

Why doesn't Your buddy just give you access that he is using to set it up, and then you can validate it..

If your saying you can not even auth.. you make the control connection and it asks you for username/password and then fails?

This has nothing to do with the data side be it active or passive, etc.

Depending on the site capabilities, example godaddy cpanel, there is a specific area to enable and allow ftp access.  Nothing else has to be done regarding configuration, however if it is just a virtual host it could require a bit of config.  I don't know, I don't have access to the control panel or the server to be able to point in a good direction.  

There is this:

https://www.codeproject.com/Tips/404132/Amazon-AWS-Setting-up-FTP-on-EC-Windows-Instances

Why would you still be using ftp in this day and age.. Why not just setup sftp or webdav for that matter.. FTP should of died of 10+ years ago ;)

If your Budddy will not give you access to AWS so you can set it up... I suggest you go get yourself your free trail so you can walk him through it.

https://aws.amazon.com/windows/products/ec2/

Thanks for all the help, but he's affraid that something might happen, etc, etc, so I'll just copy the files directly using Microsoft Remote Desktop :(