Remote connection to server with Filemaker

I have a small network at my business. A Windows 2008 server and 5 workstations on a domain. Our main software is a database runnning on Filemaker which files are hosted on the server using Filemaker Server.

We just opened a new company location and right now I am using Teamviewer to connect to my workstation and use Filemaker. it is so laggy and slow that it is barely usable.

Is there a better way to remote connect it by connection right to the server as a client computer so that I can open the Filemaker database files?

First thing I would suggest is 2008??  Really not even R2?

Do you have extended support with MS?  You really should be current..

What are you internet speeds at both locations and the remote location?  Teamviewer should be pretty much just as fast as working on the desktop.  I team viewer into my home machine from work all the time.. And it has to bounce off a proxy in Houston, TX so it goes form chicago to hou, back to chicagoland and its just fine.

FileMaker is an antiquated program which requires a fat client install, it is not web based.

Best case scenerio (cheapest) is to get a high speed connection at both locations (if business cable is all you have, make sure you have the highest upload speed you can get) and create a vpn tunnel between the two.  If that is still bad, the next best thing (not cheapest, but if cost isn't an option this is best case) you can do is to either create a terminal server/remote desktop server/citrix server and host it on that or (worst option) remote into a local computer using the remote desktop protocol.