Pipe Table

If there are any handymen to help here...

https://www.designertrapped.com/diy-pipe-table-tutorial/

I read this, and thought, I could do this, easily...

My IKEA desk is falling apart. I already replaced the top with an old top we had from other desk after my monitor stand broke a hole in the original top.

I also have bolts in its left leg. As I was using it for mounting a motherboard plate on it.

But, anyway, it's pretty beaten up...

I want to know a few things here...

1. For the bottom of the legs, should I use bare pipe, this iron cap, or this floor flinge? Not that I want to bolt it to the floor, but just a softer foot?

2. Does this need enforcement, or should galvenized steel be strong enough? Or perhaps the Tee's should be more spread out?

3. Any ideas for the topping? I don't think I have that many clamps to put a table together with 3-4 pieces of wood.

I might be making some shelving with this same design, just a bit different.

If you have any idea on on various prices for this project, I'd like to know.

1. I would use the flange and make sure there are no rough spots on the bottom.  I would also buy some stick on heavy duty felt/rubber pads to cover the bottom, they'll help protect the floor.

2.  It  appears to be sturdy enough, 1" galvanized steel pipe is very strong.

3.  You could buy a 2 sheets of 3/4 inch plywood with sanded finish, cut to size and glue the 2 pieces together.  That would give you approximately a 1 1/2" thick top, very sturdy.  Plywood example - Link

Also be sure to clean the pipe thoroughly, some galvanized is shipped with an oily coating, paint will not adhere properly.  Priming then painting would be a good way to go.

Looks like a nice project, cool industrial look.

OK, Thanks.

We have sanders (and a sand belt) that we can round the edges. ;)

I'll be sure to clean em good :)

They said in that article that they had to get them personally threaded, for a few bucks. HomeDepot/Menards/Lowes should be able to do that, right?

10 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

OK, Thanks.

We have sanders (and a sand belt) that we can round the edges. ;)

I'll be sure to clean em good :)

They said in that article that they had to get them personally threaded, for a few bucks. HomeDepot/Menards/Lowes should be able to do that, right?

I'm not sure about the pipe threading.  A plumbing shop may be able to help with that.