Fresh install W10 1809, now can not access network drives

Fresh install 1809, when I attempt to access my NAS using \\192.168.1.1 I am prompted with a password request, which I do not have, nor does it accept any username/password combo. Never had to do this prior to this install

You might have to re-enable SMBv1 by going to Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows features on or off > SMB 1.0/CIFS  File Sharing Support > SMB 1.0/CIFS Client. SMBv1 is considered unsafe so I'd suggest seeing if your NAS supports a newer version.

OK, neither one of the drives are NAS, they are simply plugged via USB into the router. @randomlag I'l try and see if that helps!

3 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

OK, neither one of the drives are NAS, they are simply plugged via USB into the router. @randomlag I'l try and see if that helps!

Believe that still makes it a NAS with SMB shares.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, randomlag said:

You might have to re-enable SMBv1 by going to Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows features on or off > SMB 1.0/CIFS  File Sharing Support > SMB 1.0/CIFS Client. SMBv1 is considered unsafe so I'd suggest seeing if your NAS supports a newer version.

It is on, and 1.0 is the only one enabled.

2 minutes ago, xendrome said:

Believe that still makes it a NAS with SMB shares.

Was gonna say that, but wasn't sure...

This is what I see when I attempt to connect to \\192.168.1.1

logon.thumb.PNG.2ab5be6787215f0b967eb695a4af380f.PNG

5 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

Have you tried the router credentials as the username/password?

after 2 attempts it finally gave in and let me in!

On 5/7/2018 at 2:26 PM, jnelsoninjax said:

after 2 attempts it finally gave in and let me in! 

Sorry computers don't work that way... So boils down to typo of your username and or password or both..

• Like 2

On 5/15/2018 at 10:44 PM, BudMan said:

Sorry computers don't work that way... So boils down to typo of your username and or password or both..

There were never any user name/passwords to start with to access the drives so really there shouldn't be after either Windows 10 is just a prick when it comes to LAN shares / mapped drives / older NAS support every update turns on the U name / P word needed in Advanced sharing settings despite it being turned off before an update LAN sharing is a mess I have two PC's and we like to share stuff between us so we each have a shared folder or two for this purpose oh but half the time we can not see both or one or even ourselves in network places  from one boot to the next it's a mystery surprise as to what will happen 

On 5/7/2018 at 2:41 PM, jnelsoninjax said:

I was going to ask why you had a nas with a x.x.x.1 address lol

That explains it.

1 hour ago, Athlonite said:

from one boot to the next it's a mystery surprise as to what will happen  

I would suggest you lay out your shares then and we can look to see why your having problems.  Have been using windows since the days of 3.x both in enterprise and home.  Along with Samba on linux, etc.  Have had zero issues with them in working all day every day exactly how they are configured to work.

If you were using SMBv1 to access stuff - then the removal of said protocol could make for some differences, etc

I would not suggest you use "guest" access to any sort of shares on your network.  Simple username/password passthru is simple solution for home use.  Where you just have user/password combo on each machine that you use to access shares on other machine, etc.

Not suggesting that users do not have problems with sharing, just that computers do not work one way one sec, and then another way next second.  Your statement that "after 2 attempts it finally gave in and let me in!" is not how computers work.  If it wanted auth, and you did not provide correct auth, it doesn't just give up and let you in..

Share:  Username and Password please

User: Billy Password

Share: No

User: Billy P@55word

Share: No

User: Billy Password

Share: No but whatever let you in anyway.

If your having problems with shares - lets look at the details of the config and try and figure out what is causing you your grief.

I would suggest you lay out your shares then and we can look to see why your having problems.  Have been using windows since the days of 3.x both in enterprise and home.  Along with Samba on linux, etc.  Have had zero issues with them in working all day every day exactly how they are configured to work.

If you were using SMBv1 to access stuff - then the removal of said protocol could make for some differences, etc

up until W10 v 16xx I never had a problem with Local LAN shares between PC's on my network after that it became a nightmare of can you see me now "no" doh try something else 

655534496_network1.thumb.JPG.7ca04d19269e9c11dcfeadd02835c722.JPG1871598554_Network2.thumb.JPG.33350012c1fa12167d274c5ad9687cdb.JPG

On 5/7/2018 at 7:41 PM, jnelsoninjax said:

Youll still need to enable smb v1 in w10 its now disabled due to security exploits in tbe protocol.