HP G72 Series Notebook CPU Upgrades?

Hi. I recieved an HP G72 Series Notebook from one of my teacher assistants at school that i am looking to "resurrect" if you will, starting with upgrading the CPU.

After looking at hardware videos featuring the product, I realized that the CPU is removable, and not soldered to the motherboard.

So, this is leaving me asking, what's on the market for CPU upgrades for this thing? It currently has a Pentium Dual Core P6000 i believe.

26 minutes ago, SirWeathers said:

Hi. I recieved an HP G72 Series Notebook from one of my teacher assistants at school that i am looking to "resurrect" if you will, starting with upgrading the CPU.

After looking at hardware videos featuring the product, I realized that the CPU is removable, and not soldered to the motherboard.

So, this is leaving me asking, what's on the market for CPU upgrades for this thing? It currently has a Pentium Dual Core P6000 i believe.

https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c02159505

You need to provide the next several letters/digits after G72

If it is a first gen i-series, then look for 740QM, 840QM, 920XM, 940XM as a CPU upgrade.

Any of the quad core CPUs allow you to insert 2 8 gig DDR3 to get 16 gig RAM

A 940XM, 16 gig RAM and a Samsung 850 SSD would make a very snappy laptop but needs to be compared cost wise with a modern low end Intel 8800 to see if it is worth the trouble.

Unfortunately, it seems like there was never a video card/GPU in it.

The HP "DreamColor" LCD screens were excellent and would make upgrading a bit useful. If it has a crappy 1366 x 768 or 1600 x 900 non-DreamColor, I'm not sure the laptop is worth much attention...