Neowin GDPR Privacy Policy Update

OK so not an issue, more a site feedback, but couldn't find anywhere related to put it.

Can I just say thank you and well done for making a transparent yet easy to read policy, with nice granular settings.

Even if this was part of an IPB board upgrade, thanks for using it instead of some god awful homemade one, "by continuing to use the site you agree to sell your soul" etc etc. 

Just thought I'd mention it, thanks again.

• Like 3

Pop-up keeps on coming and says 'hi' every time I come around, despite the fact that I said 'OK, let's do this thing' ;)

Apologies I have only just enabled it, it isn't part of IPB (unless there is a forum one too?) it is from Quantcast which offers publishers a free way to be compliant. When it was enabled yesterday it popped up with every page load, this has since been fixed, so you might have to fully reload the site cache (CTRL+F5).

The best part of it is that international visitors will no longer be bugged with cookie prompts, because our GDPR consent should only work for EU visitors.

19 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

Apologies I have only just enabled it, it isn't part of IPB (unless there is a forum one too?) it is from Quantcast which offers publishers a free way to be compliant. When it was enabled yesterday it popped up with every page load, this has since been fixed, so you might have to fully reload the site cache (CTRL+F5).

The best part of it is that international visitors will no longer be bugged with cookie prompts, because our GDPR consent should only work for EU visitors.

Nope. Didn't work unfortunately.

I live in The Netherlands (EU).

EDIT/Update:

I kinda does, but NOT with Ghostery enabled.... ;)

1 hour ago, kiddingguy said:

Nope. Didn't work unfortunately.

I live in The Netherlands (EU).

EDIT/Update:

I kinda does, but NOT with Ghostery enabled.... ;)

Yeah with Ghostery you are effectively blocking cookies and certain  javascripts (as well as ads) I just want to point out that running a site of this size costs money and we rely on the non obtrusive advertising to do so.

Member complaints due to blocking scripts take up some of my time as well, so ad blocking actually ends up costing me far more than lost revenue, wasted time as well.

If you value the site you could also subscribe "ad free" for $28 a year ;)

1 minute ago, Steven P. said:

Yeah with Ghostery you are effectively blocking cookies and certain  javascripts (as well as ads) I just want to point out that running a site of this size costs money and we rely on the non obtrusive advertising to do so.

Member complaints due to blocking scripts take up some of my time as well, so ad blocking actually ends up costing me far more than lost revenue, wasted time as well.

If you value the site you could also subscribe "ad free" for $28 a year ;)

or if you don't have the money, white list.

mines appeared, and like a moron i had a brain fart and clicked no, do i need to do anyhting (except slap myself for being a tool) ? I have no explanation cept toolness.

52 minutes ago, Mando said:

mines appeared, and like a moron i had a brain fart and clicked no, do i need to do anyhting (except slap myself for being a tool) ? I have no explanation cept toolness.

You're all good. The message prompt asks if you agree to sell your privacy to Satan. :p

LOL well the popup appearing every day is also fixed. It should only appear again after 30 days if the vendor list was updated (advertisers) and that my friends is a given. 

Thanks EU /s :| You made the web an annoying popup fest

5 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

It should only appear again after 30 days if the vendor list was updated (advertisers) and that my friends is a given. 

Thanks EU /s :| You made the web an annoying popup fest

If someone has agreed to "Ad selection, delivery, reporting" do they really need to agree again if your running adverts from a different advertiser?

I would have thought a visitor has either consented or not and that choice would be respected regardless of who's delivering the adverts on a particular week.

8 minutes ago, InsaneNutter said:

If someone has agreed to "Ad selection, delivery, reporting" do they really need to agree again if your running adverts from a different advertiser?

I would have thought a visitor has either consented or not and that choice would be respected regardless of who's delivering the adverts on a particular week.

I am just saying what my GDPR contact said.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LimeMaster said:

You're all good. The message prompt asks if you agree to sell your privacy to Satan. :p

can you sell it twice to the same entity? IF so im good either way :)

4 minutes ago, Louisifer said:

Same, still pops up whenever I re-visit the site.

Same also, I've tried clearing my cookies and cache, but still the same.

Note: It's fine if I'm logged out, but as soon as I login then it appears on every page.

Strange, I am logged in and do not get it on every page. Are you using anything like HTTPS Everywhere extension?

8 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

Strange, I am logged in and do not get it on every page. Are you using anything like HTTPS Everywhere extension?

Not using any extensions and also tried it on several different computers and also different browsers including IE, Edge and Chrome and all the same results.

Looks to me like a coding issue somewhere

3 hours ago, Ready2018 said:

Same also, I've tried clearing my cookies and cache, but still the same.

Note: It's fine if I'm logged out, but as soon as I login then it appears on every page.

15 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

might be onto something Ready2018

@Steven P. could be a certain group is missing from the fix?

Forgot to add, this only happens in IE for me.

If I use edge/firefox, I get it the first time going to the home page, but after that i'm left alone....

40 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

the consent code is the same for everyone.

how is the acknowledgement being stored though? server side or by cookie? and if server side is it by IP or another method?

Not in the EU so can't test myself but it seems odd that it would stop while logged out in his case.

It is stored by cookie, hence why using Incognito mode will always generate the popup again for that session.

I will tell them they need to test IE, they probably do not account for that browser ehheheheheheheh

I seem to be fine when browsing on the same device, however as soon as I browse on a different device (already logged in) I will get the GDPR popup again, even if i've already accepted it on that device.

For example: I accepted and browsed on my home PC this morning, I then got to work and browsed on that PC during my break and had to accept the GDRP popup again (despite having done so the previous day). When I got home and next use my PC I had to accept that popup again, despite having accepted it this morning.

It's like changing device (or possibly IP address) seems to invalidate the cookie on the previous device.