Router/Modem keeps dropping the internet connection

I was hoping for some pointers on how to narrow down or find the cause of the issue above. 

I'm a Virgin Media customer in the UK and I've noticed that on the few occasions that I'm able to work from home, the internet connection drops. 

Devices all remain connected to the LAN but won't be able to access the internet, and within about 30 seconds or so its all back up and running. It's super frustrating when working from home!

My first mistake may be because I'm using their router that they've given. Any pointers on what I can look at would be appreciated. 

The internet is full of posts complaining about VM's modem/router, especially when it's under any kind of load.

Normally modems show how long they've been connected to the internet for, that's a good indication if it's a problem with the modem or an issue elsewhere.

15 minutes ago, Ready2018 said:

The internet is full of posts complaining about VM's modem/router, especially when it's under any kind of load.

Normally modems show how long they've been connected to the internet for, that's a good indication if it's a problem with the modem or an issue elsewhere.

See nothing but normal load. Emails and web chats. Wife is not even streaming anything. 

I had a chat with someone from VM, and they can see what my modem has been online for over two weeks with no issues and suggested a hard reset. I don't think that that will resolve the issue. 

Get your own. Their own stuff is crap...

Could be that the modem is fine, but the LAN ports are going bad. Or the transition between Ethernet ports and the WAN.

• Like 2

I used to have the same problem with Verizon, the PPPOE connection would just drop randomly and the router/modem combo had to be rebooted to fix it.

When I moved and got Comcast, the first thing I did was buy a Netgear Modem (CM700) and a Netgear Router (R6700 AC1750 Nighthawk) and I simply set it and forgot it. I have yet to reboot either (aside from power outages) since I bought them.

27 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Get your own. Their own stuff is crap...

Could be that the modem is fine, but the LAN ports are going bad. Or the transition between Ethernet ports and the WAN.

Yeah I've been thinking for a while about that and think that this may be the final straw.