Cable Modem NOT Reaching Maximum Download Speed

My Cable Modem: SURFboard SB4100

Network Card: Netgear FA311 PCI

ISP: blueyonder

Download Speed: 512k (64 Kb/sec)

Upload Speed: 128k (16 Kb/sec)

Problem: In the four months I've had it, I've NEVER seen it go about 60 Kb/sec. I know it's only 4 Kb/sec, but it'll make downloads a little quicker!

Cheers...

BY is allegedly capped at ~60k ... there are reports of people getting higher, but apparently these people are right on top of the DP (Distribution Point - Cabinet) in the street, the nearer you are the faster it can go ... I am the furthest possible and I only get 60k ... A guy about 15 houses away from me, and consequently nearer the DP is getting 64k but no more than that.

As a matter of interest, are you experiencing problems with connectivity through BY lately? ie DNS errors, dropped connections, slow downloads?

FYI I work for Telewest Digital, but I cannot get any more information out of Blue Yonder as they are classed as a seperate department and as such they will not share information :o(

noisy / busy line you are always going to have a slower speed. Persevere with it though, some days you will get it higher. Lines are soon to be uncapped so I have been told :)

PS Belgarath (kewl nick m8 !) I have been having the aforementioned problems, its due to the upgrades in anticipation of the uncapping

Thnx for the compliment ... erm the uncapping mentioned is only if you pay for it ... Basically from what we have been told in the Digital Service Centre is the lines will be uncapped if you pay ?50-?60 per month ... It will be uncapped to 1.5mb upstream for this price, and will be called BY Platinum ... There is also a BY Lite being announced which is a 128k upload for ?15 per month.

Personally I would happily pay the ?60 per month for 1.5mb as that is really only ?10 more than BT are charging for a 512kb :pne :p

Sorry yes I did not mention that you had to pay more :) But yes I will gladly pay to have a good spec cable line, will come in handy for the Longhorn builds hehehe :) 1.5Mb thats like an ISO in 30 mins or something ? Jeeeez, we never had it so good, bye bye BT hehehe

Why is uploading so slow?

If you spend money on upgrading to a cable modem you think you should get a faster upload.

Is there any physical cap on it or is upload slowed down at the ISP?