Windows Server 2016 Essentials Questions

Hi everyone!

I'm currently looking at purchasing a new server, and was looking at Windows Server 2016 Essentials.  Is it true that there are no CALs and it supports up to 25 connected users / computers out of the box?

I don't need a lot really, so functionally, it looks like it is more than enough.  I currently have 7 users.  I essentially use the server as a file store and database storage (SQL Server).  I use RDP (through Terminals) to connect to the server, as I won't have a monitor connected.

I just wanted to ask about it on here before I pulled the trigger just to make sure that there weren't any limitations that I might not know about.  What are everyone's thoughts?

Thanks for your help!

My understanding is that Essentials is limited to the 25 users/50 devices out of the box and you cannot add CALs to it. 25 users is all you get. Now, SQL Server is going to require CALs for the users but you should be good out of the box with Essentials.

Thanks Zag L.

I'll be using SQL Express, so I should be good there (I don't need any of the more advanced features). 

It looks like Windows Server 2016 Essentials doesn't support Virtualization (which would have been fun to play around with), but it ticks all of my other boxes.

I just thought it was strange that Essentials allows up to 25 users out of the box.  That's a great deal!

• 5 months later...

It allows 25 Concurrent user connections at once.   Here is the gotcha I came across.  Integrating an exchange server.  You will have to assign the mailbox AD accounts to a nonuser account or it will eat up all your essentials connection licenses. 

Also sometimes there is an issue after an update/reboot of the Essentials Server where it somehow messes with the SU account of a SQL member server.  As long as you can reassign the SU account or not use it at all, it should be good.  (shame on you SAGE for your poor DB practice)