Not knowing how to backup.

Worked on a laptop yesterday which had bad sectors and wasn't even showing up at a bios level. The laptop belonged to a college student. She was taken a photography class and all of her photos and school work were on it. She had nothing backed up. Told her mom, and she broke the news to her that I wasn't able to get anything off the drive but I would see if it would ever show back up. Well, today by the grace of God the drive decided to show back up and her entire 64gb of profile information was backed up

The mother said her and her daughter talk about it last night but the daughter said she didn't know how to backup. I wonder how common this scenario is, where people want to back their stuff up but just don't know how. It also begs the question do they not understand the basics of copy and paste? While there are much more efficient ways to back up your stuff, at a very basic level that will do the trick just fine.

• Like 3

This is why cloud services linked to "My Documents" folders are such an important development (e.g. OneDrive for Windows, iCloud Drive for iOS/OS X, and even Google Drive for Android/Chromebooks).  You don't have to know how to back up nor worry about it, it just happens transparently in the background.

The thing that I find funny, is that people have a friend or family member who claims to be technical nerd, who goes and switches this off to improve performance (after reading some crappy article on the internet), when they just don't understand the purpose of it.

I think the more frustrating thing is that most of these devices (laptops or mobile phones) come with the ability to back up online by default. So unless the laptop is really old or they haven't bothered these sorts of thing should not be happening. 

Even more so when most of their work is digital. 

Edit - @Fahim S.You just beat me to it :P

do people not know how to google anymore??

how hard would it have been for her to google 'how do i backup my photos?' and gotten results for external drives or DropBox ect.

1 minute ago, Brandon H said:

how hard would it have been for her to google 'how do i backup my photos?' and gotten results for external drives or DropBox ect.

I guess the issue with that is that you need to know/understand why you should be backing up. 

For these people, backing up is an unknown unknown ;)

3 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

I guess the issue with that is that you need to know/understand why you should be backing up. 

For these people, backing up is an unknown unknown ;)

sadly true; it takes a situation like this for them to realize some form of backup may be a good idea

4 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

sadly true; it takes a situation like this for them to realize some form of backup may be a good idea

Yes, I think everyone should lose a lot of data once in their life, it's a life lesson.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Fahim S. said:

This is why cloud services linked to "My Documents" folders are such an important development (e.g. OneDrive for Windows, iCloud Drive for iOS/OS X, and even Google Drive for Android/Chromebooks).  You don't have to know how to back up nor worry about it, it just happens transparently in the background.

The thing that I find funny, is that people have a friend or family member who claims to be technical nerd, who goes and switches this off to improve performance (after reading some crappy article on the internet), when they just don't understand the purpose of it.

This is true. I told her yesterday to have her daughter log into one drive and take a look to see what's there.  I doubt the free version would backup all 64GB of data.

But these same people that can't grasp backing up, also can't grasp not using some crappy password and also not using that same crappy password all over the net. So while these services are great it also automatically puts your stuff out on the securing it by the potentially the same email address and password being used all over the net.

2 hours ago, warwagon said:

This is true. I told her yesterday to have her daughter log into one drive and take a look to see what's there.  I doubt the free version would backup all 64GB of data.

But these same people that can't grasp backing up, also can't grasp not using some crappy password and also not using that same crappy password all over the net. So while these services are great it also automatically puts your stuff out on the securing it by the potentially the same email address and password being used all over the net.

I'd argue that when it comes to the files that people have, there really isn't anything worth stealing in most cases.  I certainly don't.

22 minutes ago, Fahim S. said:

I'd argue that when it comes to the files that people have, there really isn't anything worth stealing in most cases.  I certainly don't.

i could see scenarios of blackmail more than pure stealing

edit: actually wasn't there a version of the crypto virus recently that was able to affect people's OneDrive's?

On 5/23/2018 at 11:00 AM, Brandon H said:

people don't know how to google....forget the anymore part, they never did.  There is a reason why www.lmgtfy.com exists....if you don't know what the letters stand for it is "Let Me Google That For You" and has since been set to include other search engines.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, sc302 said:

people don't know how to google....forget the anymore part, they never did.  There is a reason why www.lmgtfy.com exists....if you don't know what the letters stand for it is "Let Me Google That For You" and has since been set to include other search engines.

ah good ol lmgtfy, I always loved the fact that it animates the mouse clicking the search button for you :D

I run in to people not backing up or not knowing how to all the time.  What comes as common sense to people here, is not much so to others.  But that is what we do.  I am sure there are other fields these people are great in and are common sense to them, but not us.  Point is, cannot know everything even if we think it is a no brainer.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, sc302 said:

its my favourite site of all time to boot, use it all the time with other techs ? as a slap.

10 hours ago, firey said:

I never back stuff up... I live on the edge!

*hacks your computer* :laugh:

Turns out the daughter did have a 1TB external western digital hard drive the entire time but never knew how to use it.

4 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Turns out the daughter did have a 1TB external western digital hard drive the entire time but never knew how to use it.

WTH? LMAO, man... "she didn't know how to use it"

Man, she needs to go to a computer class...

1 minute ago, Mindovermaster said:

WTH? LMAO, man... "she didn't know how to use it"

Man, she needs to go to a computer class...

This is more common than you think. I think because of cellphones even young people are getting stupider with computes.

8 minutes ago, warwagon said:

This is more common than you think. I think because of cellphones even young people are getting stupider with computes.

Or tablets...

Is it stupider? I don't know all of your backgrounds etc but given the forum, you're all either in IT or have an IT interest.

I could come up with examples all day where this scenario could be turned around, sure some of you will have knowledge on some topics, maybe even a lot of them but you simply don't know what you don't know and how/when backups might be required is, unfortunately, one of them.

You might take your car in for a service and something has gone wrong, some mechanics are probably sat there thinking how does this person not notice these issue, it's obvious! A Photographer (like the person in the OP) probably knows far more about cameras than a lot of us here that is blatantly obvious to them but an amateur wouldn't know about.

• Like 3